Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-31-2016, 12:04 PM   #1
RedRocker2014

Drives: 2014 Camaro
Hit a curb... and planter...

So I got ran off the road by a semi tanker truck, car in front and back, he kept pushing over and I made a last ditch effort to turn into a driveway so I didnt get hit by the tanker. Was going too fast into the turn and nailed a curb and into the planter the Camaro went lol ... lucky I just have a front bumper dent and some alignment issues, insurance doesn't want to help cause they said was my fault. The front wheels are angled in a Y if you look from the front. Looks like its trying to turn to the right and left, but its supposed to be going straight. Was wondering if you guys think its fixable on my own (the alignment) good enough to get it pointed straight forward so I can get it to an alignment shop ? If you look at the picture where you can see the wheel, both sides are like that.
Attached Images

RedRocker2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 12:10 PM   #2
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
I'd have it towed to a shop you trust. If you can't move it now, how are you gonna jack the front end up, remove the tires and assess whether or not you can temporarily "fix" what are probably bent or broken front suspension parts?
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 01:08 PM   #3
RedRocker2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddudesrule View Post
I'd have it towed to a shop you trust. If you can't move it now, how are you gonna jack the front end up, remove the tires and assess whether or not you can temporarily "fix" what are probably bent or broken front suspension parts?
I can drive it, I drove it about 4 miles home. Its just the wheels drag, was wondering if I can get it fixed enough to drive it, in a way fix it myself and just order new body panels lol
Old 01-31-2016, 01:14 PM   #4
The Dutchman
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Insurance says they don't want to help because it's your fault? What kind of insurance do you have? it doesn't matter if it was your fault or not your insurance should cover the repairs minus your deductible. That's why you have insurance. And you're going to need more than an alignment to fix that. There are suspension parts bent/broken.
The Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 01:24 PM   #5
RedRocker2014

Wawanesa lol usually they are good, but they said I shouldve just let the car been totaled by the tanker or smashed in the rear by the truck haha I was just looking at it see if I can fix it if its just stuff got knocked out thats somewhat cheap, and take it to a shop to get adjusted, or if I need to get it all done by a shop.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:43 PM   #6
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dutchman View Post
Insurance says they don't want to help because it's your fault? What kind of insurance do you have? it doesn't matter if it was your fault or not your insurance should cover the repairs minus your deductible. That's why you have insurance. And you're going to need more than an alignment to fix that. There are suspension parts bent/broken.
OP, sorry about the damage, but I agree with Dutchman on both. Insurance (full coverage) should cover it regardless of who's at fault. Shortly after owning mine, I was in a situation were I had to swerve to avoid another car backing out of a parking spot, sideswiped a light pole & damaged a rear quarter panel. Insurance classified it as being an at (my) fault accident, but still took care of all repairs...I just paid my deductible.

In regards to the damage, it definitely looks like there's going to be damage to some suspension parts.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:35 PM   #7
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker2014 View Post
So I got ran off the road by a semi tanker truck, car in front and back, he kept pushing over and I made a last ditch effort to turn into a driveway so I didnt get hit by the tanker. Was going too fast into the turn and nailed a curb and into the planter the Camaro went lol ... lucky I just have a front bumper dent and some alignment issues, insurance doesn't want to help cause they said was my fault. The front wheels are angled in a Y if you look from the front. Looks like its trying to turn to the right and left, but its supposed to be going straight. Was wondering if you guys think its fixable on my own (the alignment) good enough to get it pointed straight forward so I can get it to an alignment shop ? If you look at the picture where you can see the wheel, both sides are like that.
Think you could actually take the time to post the pics correctly . Sorry to see the damage . Don't you have full comp and collision on your car ? Whether it's your fault or not your insurance should take care of it . Unless you only have liability insurance .

Last edited by 1Coopgt; 02-01-2016 at 11:31 AM.
1Coopgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:49 PM   #8
The Patriot

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS VERT
Pretty sure he just has liability coverage based on his insurer's response. You filed a police report right? There were no witnesses?

"Today I didn't even have to use my AK, I got ta' say it was a good day"
The Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:52 PM   #9
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Unless it is a vehicle that I'm willing to walk away from, I don't think it is wise to have liability only....
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:16 AM   #10
RedRocker2014

I have full coverage, insurance is just being a bitch. Police report was filed and no witnesses. I'll take it to a shop probably Tuesday or Wednesday.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:23 AM   #11
jcampos

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS
Wow, front end work is always scary to deal with and in your case it is a matter of trial and error. The shop will probably charge you an arm and a leg for that work. Sorry to hear about the accident, glad you're okay! Well at least enough to be able to type lol.

If it were me, I would jack that car in the air and start making a list of things to replace. While you are at it some new bushing and sway bars should be on that list as well, if not already on there!
jcampos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:28 AM   #12
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
That is not a cheap fix. Get an estimate and you can get an idea of the parts needed. That is around $2500 to $3000 to fix.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:38 AM   #13
ocautomotive

Drives: 2017 ZL1 and 2018 SS 1LE
OP, from your language, you are very young. If you have full coverage, they have to pay for it minus your deductible. There is no such thing as "they are being bitches". If they truly are saying that, which I doubt they are because they know the possible consequences, I would be calling lawyers if I were you
ocautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:33 AM   #14
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocautomotive View Post
OP, from your language, you are very young. If you have full coverage, they have to pay for it minus your deductible. There is no such thing as "they are being bitches". If they truly are saying that, which I doubt they are because they know the possible consequences, I would be calling lawyers if I were you
This right here !