Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 10-16-2014, 12:37 PM   #169
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
I for one do not see the 2015 GT PP as a fail at all. Lots of big improvements and a much better car than it was. If the comparison was just GT to SS the outcome might have been different. The 1LE is a less mainstream car than the GT PP. The ride is rougher and the tires are awful under 60 degrees until they warm up. Also they wear out really fast. And to replace the tires are more expensive than the GT. Ford should have made the GT PP available with the automatic.

The 1LE is aimed at track rats and some new owners that did not really know what they were buying are disappointed with the car.

So for the average buyer the extra capabilities will be accessible to many with the GT PP. Fewer GT PPs will wind up at the track and I would expect Ford will sell more GT PPs than Chevy sells 1LEs.

It sounds like Ford will try to compete against the Z/28 with the GT 350. But I would expect it to be a little less serious too. The Z/28 is EXTREME track. But is makes no sense as a daily driver car. That is what makes it so cool. The GT 350 will not compete with the 1LE.

I am glad I have the car that was considered more fun to drive. It is big fun, even when losing a drag race to a GT.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:41 PM   #170
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
the front of that mustang is so ugly!

Surprised to see the weight at only a 72lb difference
Old 10-16-2014, 12:42 PM   #171

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDigi5060 View Post

Never thought I'd find myself saying this, but the new Mustang looks like total shit parked next to the Camaro. Hideous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melkor View Post
I have to agree. I know Carlos keeps talking about how it looks like the Mustang is now ready for the 21st century... but it just doesn't look good, at all.
Man, you guys are brutal....lol....I've never disliked the looks of the Mustangs....just liked Chevys better....

...Great to have a choice, though....the rivalry is alive and well....

....Too bad we don't see MoPar more in the mix.....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:47 PM   #172
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
I for one do not see the 2015 GT PP as a fail at all. Lots of big improvements and a much better car than it was. If the comparison was just GT to SS the outcome might have been different. The 1LE is a less mainstream car than the GT PP. The ride is rougher and the tires are awful under 60 degrees until they warm up. Also they wear out really fast. And to replace the tires are more expensive than the GT. Ford should have made the GT PP available with the automatic.

The 1LE is aimed at track rats and some new owners that did not really know what they were buying are disappointed with the car.

So for the average buyer the extra capabilities will be accessible to many with the GT PP. Fewer GT PPs will wind up at the track and I would expect Ford will sell more GT PPs than Chevy sells 1LEs.

It sounds like Ford will try to compete against the Z/28 with the GT 350. But I would expect it to be a little less serious too. The Z/28 is EXTREME track. But is makes no sense as a daily driver car. That is what makes it so cool. The GT 350 will not compete with the 1LE.

I am glad I have the car that was considered more fun to drive. It is big fun, even when losing a drag race to a GT.
This would mean the 1LE is a serious track package and the PP is for posers.

I have a lot of respect for the last gen Mustang and it's faithful. If I were one, I'd wait until 16 or 17 before upgrading and leave the MY15 for the less discriminating buyers. Ford will improve

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:55 PM   #173
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Drives: A 2016 Challenger R/T M6 STP
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPony View Post
I am a life long Mustang fan, but am also an enthusiast who has owned a wide variety of cars over the years. This car disappoints, plain and simple.

First "Weightgate", and Ford's claims to have met their goals on weight. They changed their tune mid stream on this one, first saying or implying it would be lighter. Later just saying they met their goals and not saying what the hell that goal was.

Then saying they targeted the Boss 302 for performance. This was dumb as the 1LE had already trounced the Boss in magazine tests. They also offered that the competition was every car BUT a Camaro. BS!!!

Every person who has ever looked at a Mustang knows the Camaro is the DIRECT competition to this car. Saying things like targeting a 911 or M3 does not distract from that fact.

The next gen Camaro will be even quicker than the current one, even if it weighs the same, or God forbid a little more.

I for one find little redeeming about the new Mustang. I could give two s%^&s about how it cruises on the road because that is not my primary reason for buying a Mustang. It is performance, plain and simple. Deliver me a car that can lay the smack on cars twice its price, and its cross town rival. The Boss 302 did that. Then GM responded. Now Ford has dropped the ball.

It's 1994 all over again.
I feel the same, IT's a big let down in performance but since the car is more refined let's hope it does well on a broader market segment it can reach now.

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:03 PM   #174
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
The LS3 is lighter, dimensionally smaller, has a better BSFC, and puts out more power under the curve than, if I'm not mistaken, every other normally aspirated V8 sold in America. It puts out more torque and is lighter than the 8 found in the Ferrari 458. We pay no gas guzzler tax, and in the more aerodynamic and lighter Vette body/chassis, it got 30 miles per gallon on the highway.

And this is at least the second thread where you've talked about a "duel" clutch transmission. A duel is what you have when you walk 10 steps from your opponent, turn, and shoot them. A dual is a two-some. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duel
FYI 458 Italia is a direct-injected 4.5-liter DOHC V8 cranks out 562 horsepower at 9,000 rpm (125 horsepower per liter, a record for naturally-aspirated piston engines). Torque is rated at 398 lb-ft at 6,000 rpm, 80 percent of which is available from 3,250 rpm. So it makes 2.04 hp from 275 cubic inches VS the LS3 that makes 1.13 hp per cubic inch.

HOLD ON THERE , just for the record the GM 3.6 OHC engine is 219.65 cubic inches and makes 320 hp ,that is 1.46 hp per cubic inch. the LS3 OHV is 376 cubic inches and makes 426 hp so it makes 1.13 hp per cubic inch ,the Ford Coyote 5.0 makes 430 hp out of 302 cubic inches ,that is 1.42 hp per cubic inch. I could go on and on but as you can see GM itself knows the deal . Push rod engines are cheaper and easy to build . It's about the $$$$$$$$$$$. Torque at a specific rpm ,the Ferrari wins. It revs higher to make the power but doe's so none the less. Bottom line is a multi valve overhead cam engine is going to make more horsepower per cubic inch. It is more complicated and more expensive ,but will in fact make more HP per cubic inch. Anyone remember the 2.0 Honda S2000 ?

Last edited by GONIF; 10-16-2014 at 01:18 PM.
GONIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:17 PM   #175
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONIF View Post
FYI 458 Italia's heart is a direct-injected 4.5-liter V8 cranks out 562 horsepower at 9,000 rpm (125 horsepower per liter, a record for naturally-aspirated piston engines). Torque is rated at 398 lb-ft at 6,000 rpm, 80 percent of which is available from 3,250 rpm.

HOLD ON THERE , just for the record the GM 3.6 OHC engine is 219.65 cubic inches and makes 320 hp ,that is 1.46 hp per cubic inch. the LS3 OHV is 376 cubic inches and makes 426 hp so it makes 1.13 hp per cubic inch ,the Ford Coyote 5.0 makes 430 hp out of 302 cubic inches ,that is 1.42 hp per cubic inch. I could go on and on but as you can see GM itself knows the deal . Push rod engines are cheaper and easy to build . It's about the $$$$$$$$$$$. Torque at a specific rpm ,the Ferrari wins. It revs higher to make the power but doe's so none the less.
You still don't get it. The displacement of LS3 is big, yet it is more compact and consumes less than most of the engines you just listed. Europeans care about per-liter measure, since they only have DOHC engines and the displacement pretty much dictates the packaging and weight of the engine. This is not true for pushrod engines.
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:21 PM   #176
GONIF

Quote:
Originally Posted by X25 View Post
You still don't get it. The displacement of LS3 is big, yet it is more compact and consumes less than most of the engines you just listed. Europeans care about per-liter measure, since they only have DOHC engines and the displacement pretty much dictates the packaging and weight of the engine. This is not true for pushrod engines.
First off I get 13 to 15 mpg in my LE1 ,it doe's not consume less ,the way I drive it or any other car or truck . The CAGS is a loop hole that GM uses to skirt the gas guzzler tax , lets get real . None of us get's great fuel mileage. Oh and I do get it ,you own a Chevy and think it is best . I own 3 Chevy's ,and know the truth. As I have said I like and Buy GM"s and have since 1968 ,but want them to be better then the rest . And you will see GM rise to the challenge sooner or later.

Last edited by GONIF; 10-16-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:22 PM   #177
scapone4

Drives: 2015 SW 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Man, you guys are brutal....lol....I've never disliked the looks of the Mustangs....just liked Chevys better....

...Great to have a choice, though....the rivalry is alive and well....

....Too bad we don't see MoPar more in the mix.....

New 392 in the challenger is def in the mix. Can't wait to see the 1le vs scat pack comparison. Should be interesting. I love both to be honest.
scapone4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:27 PM   #178
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Oh I get it ,you own a Chevy and think it is best . I own 3 Chevy's .
Not really. I am an engineer, and try not to buy into sales-pitches. I do own a Mazda Miata, a RAM 1500, a Nissan Leaf, a Camaro SS 1LE, a Subaru Outback, and a Kawasaki ZX-10R. I buy whatever makes most sense to me; I'd buy a Mustang if it made more sense than the Camaro (but it didn't).
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:44 PM   #179
GONIF

Quote:
Originally Posted by X25 View Post
Not really. I am an engineer, and try not to buy into sales-pitches. I do own a Mazda Miata, a RAM 1500, a Nissan Leaf, a Camaro SS 1LE, a Subaru Outback, and a Kawasaki ZX-10R. I buy whatever makes most sense to me; I'd buy a Mustang if it made more sense than the Camaro (but it didn't).
Nice Bike much faster then I could handle these days . My last bike a 996 Duck nearly killed me . Now we agree ,the Camaro is better looking ,handles better and is a better car all around . But the Camaro could be so much more if GM would only push the envelope . It piss's me off that GM did not put the LT engine in the 2014 and 2015 Camaro . They are good but need to step up . No one wants to be slower than a Ford in the 1/4. Believe it or not a 346 with 4 valves per cylinder and DOHC could make 500 RWHP without a problem. So what if it weighs 30 to 50lbs more and is 2 inches wider.

Last edited by GONIF; 10-16-2014 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:45 PM   #180
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS 1LE
Ford PP includes

my son just ordered one of the GT premiums with Performance package and according to Ford it has

Strut tower Brace
Larger Radiator
Unique Chassis Tuning
Upsize rear sway bar
Heavy duty Front springs
K Brace?
Brembo 6 piston front brakes
19x9 front and 19x9.5 wheels with summer tires
Unique stability control EPAS and ABs tuning?
3.73 torsen Rear axle.
Gauge package

This sure sounds like they were going after the 1LE , summer tires etc.

Surprised they couldn't pull it off.

Jim

I saw one though, in black and it was a six but it looks good. I think the best Mustang ever. Interior very nice.

I immediately went home and looked at my black 1LE, Nope sorry Ford but my 2013 1LE still looks better.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:46 PM   #181
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
First off I get 13 to 15 mph in my LE1
My 1LE (oh wait you have a LE!....I have heard those are nice) goes much faster than that....just saying!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:47 PM   #182
GONIF

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
My 1LE goes much faster than that....just saying!
What I have is a paid for 1LE ,soon to be a 2016 C7 . My bad 13 to 15 MPG ,and I don't care about MPG.