Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 12-21-2016, 06:44 PM   #1
nbryant

Drives: 2016 2SS Red Hot
GM Tires TSB

Sorry for the repeat, posted this in the tires thread about the GM TSB, it may be better suited for this thread:

http://www.gminsidenews.com/articles...-cold-weather/
Old 12-21-2016, 06:59 PM   #2
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
This is why they should have offered all season tires as an option. Summer only tires have no use to me here in North Dakota. Just a small annoyance buying a new vehicle.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:25 PM   #3
sub_ETCS_ret

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN sui View Post
This is why they should have offered all season tires as an option. Summer only tires have no use to me here in North Dakota. Just a small annoyance buying a new vehicle.
Agree! As an option, that would benefit a lot of people.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners
sub_ETCS_ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:29 PM   #4
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub_ETCS_ret View Post
Agree! As an option, that would benefit a lot of people.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 12-21-2016, 10:01 PM   #5
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
No offense to anyone, but if you buying a high HP sports car, don't expect a company like GM to offer all season tires on that car, to was never designed to drive in winter conditions. If we had more than 1 or 2 small ice/snow events here in NC I would probably have a 3rd vehicle in my garage...just my opinion looking at GM's viewpoint.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:23 PM   #6
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
No offense to anyone, but if you buying a high HP sports car, don't expect a company like GM to offer all season tires on that car, to was never designed to drive in winter conditions. If we had more than 1 or 2 small ice/snow events here in NC I would probably have a 3rd vehicle in my garage...just my opinion looking at GM's viewpoint.
Eh, I disagree. They added a heated steering wheel, carried over the heated seats, and have a mode dedicated for snow/ice that changes the throttle sensitivity. It's a car, it can be driven on public roads all seasons. This car was made to be driven, if I could afford a second vehicle, I'd love to park my Camaro in this crap weather. However if I had to choose to have one vehicle, you're damn right I'd choose a Camaro every time.

It would have been nice to have a more practical tire option that will last longer than 15,000 miles. I totally understand it boils down to cost (more options to choose I'm sure is more expensive to GM's bottom dollar) and providing the best performance out of the box to compete with other auto manufactures. I get it.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:52 AM   #7
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Eh, I disagree. They added a heated steering wheel, carried over the heated seats, and have a mode dedicated for snow/ice that changes the throttle sensitivity. It's a car, it can be driven on public roads all seasons. This car was made to be driven, if I could afford a second vehicle, I'd love to park my Camaro in this crap weather. However if I had to choose to have one vehicle, you're damn right I'd choose a Camaro every time.

It would have been nice to have a more practical tire option that will last longer than 15,000 miles. I totally understand it boils down to cost (more options to choose I'm sure is more expensive to GM's bottom dollar) and providing the best performance out of the box to compete with other auto manufactures. I get it.
But even with those heated items and extra mode, it still is a high HP sports car, not designed to be driven in snow and extreme cold on a regular basis. If I didn't have a 2nd vehicle to drive in icy and the occassional snowy condition or the few times when it gets below 20 degrees here in NC, I wouldn't have bought my SS...just my opinion on the whole situation.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:08 AM   #8
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
So, the 2016 2SS came with Goodyear EAGLE F1 ASYMMETRIC 3 RUNONFLAT tires. Those are certainly summer, but do they develop the cracks if driven in the cold?

In another thread, I thought I saw people claiming those would not get the cracks, but I have no idea if that is correct.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:47 AM   #9
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Thats why I plan to get A/S to replace the Goodcrap Runflats......

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 01:33 PM   #10
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
So, if my garage is 48 degrees and it's 36 degrees outside, would it be considered 'okay' to drive my car around? My thought would be the tires start out at 48, and then stay relatively warm from being driven around.
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 01:37 PM   #11
Camaroguy555

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2016 1SS NPP 6MT MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
So, the 2016 2SS came with Goodyear EAGLE F1 ASYMMETRIC 3 RUNONFLAT tires. Those are certainly summer, but do they develop the cracks if driven in the cold?

In another thread, I thought I saw people claiming those would not get the cracks, but I have no idea if that is correct.
I have my stock tires mounted currently (I live in CO) and they have not developed any cracks. I leave my Supercar G2 tires in the garage though. They don't work if it is less than 50 degrees, as I imagine the Supercar 3 will be the same way. As for All Seasons I believe GM was trying to keep run flats for the 20s, and I don't know of any all seasons in that size that are RFT.
Camaroguy555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 02:06 PM   #12
suzook

Drives: camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
So, if my garage is 48 degrees and it's 36 degrees outside, would it be considered 'okay' to drive my car around? My thought would be the tires start out at 48, and then stay relatively warm from being driven around.
No, you're f'd. As soon as you drive on them, they will explode.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:09 PM   #13
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
OMG OMG OMG
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 02:23 PM   #14
nbryant

Drives: 2016 2SS Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
They guy asked an honest question and at least deserved a honest answer. Not everything here has to be sarcastic.