Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-22-2015, 10:58 AM   #1
CFrance

Drives: 2013 ZL1, 2013 LS
Protecting interior from heat? (Road trip to Vegas, then LA)

I am from Western Washington and will be driving down to Las Vegas next week, then to LA a few days later and will be in LA for about a week. I am just wondering if I should worry about protecting my car from the heat. I would hate to come back from my trip with a cracked dash or something...

While I am in Vegas my car will be in a parking garage most the time (except for a trip over to the Hoover Damn) but while in LA I think it will be out in the sun most of the time.

A couple of days we will be at a theme park and a water park so the car will just be sitting in the parking lot (all the way in the back ). These are the days I am most worried about because my car is black and I am sure it will get really hot inside the car. I do have 15% tint on my side and rear windows but nothing on the windshield.

Should I even be worried about it? Right now the weather is showing it will be in the 90s in Vegas and 80s in LA.

Any advice is appreciated!!

Thanks!
CFrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:00 AM   #2
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Lol u serious.

Just tint everything 0% including windshield
Old 05-22-2015, 11:01 AM   #3
Punisher80

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Get a sun shade, I use mine here in San Diego everyday. I had a 2003 Silverado previously and used a sunshade everyday and never had any issues with the interior getting damaged.
Punisher80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:02 AM   #4
bandit38

Drives: Camaro SS - Trans Am - Silverado
You should be fine for just a few days, but put some dash protectant on it anyway....never hurts to keep it looking good and protected too
Old 05-22-2015, 11:04 AM   #5
kmarshall2121

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition
its not going to be that hot. I have been in Vegas with 120 degree temps over a weekend and didnt worry about anything...
kmarshall2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:04 AM   #6
CFrance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Man View Post
Lol u serious.

Just tint everything 0% including windshield
I was actually thinking about just spray painting all the windows black, that way I wouldn't have to worry about it at all!!

I am guessing it will be fine since it is only going to be for a week but I figured it would be better to ask ahead of time instead of go down there and come back with a cracked dash or something.

I know, I am probably worried over nothing haha
Old 05-22-2015, 11:06 AM   #7
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Get the Covercraft covers.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:06 AM   #8
CFrance

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit38 View Post
You should be fine for just a few days, but put some dash protectant on it anyway....never hurts to keep it looking good and protected too
What protectant would you suggest using?

Thanks!
Old 05-22-2015, 11:08 AM   #9
RDBURNR

Drives: 2016 Camarro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I am from Western Washington and will be driving down to Las Vegas next week, then to LA a few days later and will be in LA for about a week. I am just wondering if I should worry about protecting my car from the heat. I would hate to come back from my trip with a cracked dash or something...

While I am in Vegas my car will be in a parking garage most the time (except for a trip over to the Hoover Damn) but while in LA I think it will be out in the sun most of the time.

A couple of days we will be at a theme park and a water park so the car will just be sitting in the parking lot (all the way in the back ). These are the days I am most worried about because my car is black and I am sure it will get really hot inside the car. I do have 15% tint on my side and rear windows but nothing on the windshield.

Should I even be worried about it? Right now the weather is showing it will be in the 90s in Vegas and 80s in LA.

Any advice is appreciated!!

Thanks!
lived in Yuma, AZ and El (Hell) Centro, CA for 16 years, where it got to 127 degrees once with averages during summer in the middle to high 100 and teens. A few days worth of moderate heat is not going to cause damage. For longer periods, a dash mat is needed to protect from drying and cracking. Just armor all your dash before getting there and a decent quality screen for times parked, will also create less of an oven when you get back in. Even here in Tucson, cooler then Yuma and Hell Centro, I also park with the back heavily tinted window facing the sun.
RDBURNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:09 AM   #10
CFrance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher80 View Post
Get a sun shade, I use mine here in San Diego everyday. I had a 2003 Silverado previously and used a sunshade everyday and never had any issues with the interior getting damaged.
I was thinking about doing this but figured I would ask if it was even necessary before buying one. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarshall2121 View Post
its not going to be that hot. I have been in Vegas with 120 degree temps over a weekend and didnt worry about
anything...
Okay cool, I figured I was worrying over nothing but wanted to ask just in case. Better safe than sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzia35 View Post
Get the Covercraft covers.
Thanks!
Old 05-22-2015, 11:12 AM   #11
CFrance

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBURNR View Post
lived in Yuma, AZ and El (Hell) Centro, CA for 16 years, where it got to 127 degrees once with averages during summer in the middle to high 100 and teens. A few days worth of moderate heat is not going to cause damage. For longer periods, a dash mat is needed to protect from drying and cracking. Just armor all your dash before getting there and a decent quality screen for times parked, will also create less of an oven when you get back in. Even here in Tucson, cooler then Yuma and Hell Centro, I also park with the back heavily tinted window facing the sun.
Thanks for the reply!

I had considered using armor all but I had heard of it actually drying out the plastic over time and eventually cracking it, is that true or just an old myth?

I currently don't have any sort of protectant on my dash.

Thanks again!
Old 05-22-2015, 11:16 AM   #12
kmarshall2121

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...+vegas+weather

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...ngeles+weather
kmarshall2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:18 AM   #13
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
A sun shade should be adequate.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:26 AM   #14
CFrance

I am not leaving until next Wednesday and will be getting to Vegas on Thursday and staying until Saturday so it is going to be in the 90s it looks like.

Then I will be in LA the following week which Google doesn't currently show but I saw somewhere it was suppose to be in the mid 80s.... but now this is showing 70s.

Also, since I posted this I realized since I have had the car the last couple years we have had plenty of 80-90+ degree days up here in Washington and it has been fine so far so I am just worried over nothing.