Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-30-2014, 10:41 AM   #113
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Lol
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2014, 11:23 AM   #114
bb040

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS red jewl tintcoat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
Time for my favorite Allstate story: I had Allstate auto insurance for years... paid the same rate every month.

Never had a claim, always faithful with my payments. No issues... ever.

One month, I did NOT receive the bill in the mail. Nonetheless, I still paid my monthly bill... same price, same time. The next month, still no bill in the mail... big deal, I still paid.

On the third month, I called them. They told me, "Oh, we cancelled you two months ago... for not paying."

Turns out, the month they had not sent me a bill, the rate had risen by $2. TWO DOLLARS. And, since I paid short... paid my "usual" amount, not the new- $2- higher- rate, they cancelled me. Didn't notify me, or make any attempt to contact me. They. Just. Canceled. So I drove around, naked- as- a- jaybird- uninsured, for two months. I cannot imagine how great it would have been to have an accident during that time.

Took some time to recover from that, too, because most (perhaps all) insurers penalize you for having any lapses in your insurance over the previous three years, regardless of reason.

The good hands people got my good finger, and will forever. They'll never see another dollar of mine, and I will spread this gospel at any opportunity.
Did they send the money you sent them back or did they try to keep that too
Old 10-30-2014, 11:40 AM   #115
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
I have it and unplugged their device.
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:25 PM   #116
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
We just switched to Progressive from Liberty yseterday due to rates with Liberty going up so much. We also get a pretty good discount with Liberty through our jobs. We even called our agent with Liberty & let him know we were shopping around & gave him a chance to give us a better rate. He came down a good bit bit Progressive was still several hundred $ less per year (bundled all 4 cars & homeowner's). so it was Bye Bye Liberty. But absolutely no monitoring device for us!
Old 10-30-2014, 02:32 PM   #117
outlaw88

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT RS Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Right... insurance companies are only interested in your "good" driving habits and in saving you money.
Can't fix stupid. Nowhere in my post did I imply that insurance companies have any interest in good driving habits and saving people money.

Anyway, to the OP, if you're that worried about how insurance companies are going to handle the data they collect from using their device then simply don't use it. Otherwise, it is possible to save money using these devices. I've done it myself and it looks like others have to. Completely up to you.
outlaw88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:36 PM   #118
hkittrell

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS/RS 1LE
LOL PalmerGA
hkittrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:22 PM   #119
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA
Right... insurance companies are only interested in your "good" driving habits and in saving you money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw88 View Post
Can't fix stupid. Nowhere in my post did I imply that insurance companies have any interest in good driving habits and saving people money.
Really? You said "They say up front that it won't impact your premiums negatively so I really wouldn't worry too much about it".

Let's see... "it won't impact your premiums negatively". "IT" being the Drive Safe and Save (or similarly named) program that the insurance companies coerce customers into using. Now what does that imply? If "it won't impact your premiums negatively", then it can only impact your premiums positively. The entire program is based on the premise that it may "Save" you money. Otherwise, why would their customers want to have it at all?

The fix is in... but not for naiveté.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:30 PM   #120
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacekPSUr1 View Post
Just got a letter in the mail from State Farm saying if I sign up for the Drive Safe and Save program, I'll get a discount up to 5% for just signing up....BUT, when I read about it more here, they finally say they'd be using my camaro's "OnStar®, In-Drive®, or SYNC®" communication service to collect basic information about my driving. Aghhh....I'm no street racer, but I'm not too crazy about my Insurance company knowing exactly how I like to drive my car. I guess this is one of those things that could totally back-fire in my face! Anyone on here using this yet? ...or would you sign up to save some $$$?
....what if you were to insure a 1969 Camaro with them?
Old 10-30-2014, 06:57 PM   #121
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
i did this with allstate. just a normal slow down in the camaro is considered a hard stop and I got 0 discount.
As far as I'm concerned, this is the worst part of drivewise or any similar system.

Apparently, Allstate's trigger point for "hard braking" is 8 mph/second, or about 0.35g deceleration, which as you suggest is hardly a hard stop at all (it's about like 40 to zero in half a football field). Even their "extreme braking (10 mph/second, around 0.45g, 45 to zero in half a football field) is still a "nothing-special" level of stopping.

Allstate wants to assume that hard braking is always a consequence of following too closely, and ignores such things as short yellows, redlight cameras, the bouncing ball (and the kid chasing it), the moron who jumps out in front of you from a side street, all manner of real situations where a stop cannot be planned in advance. You get the blame regardless.

http://the-analytical.blogspot.com/2...ailure-in.html
Quote:
Braking
The braking section of the graphics show two things. "Hard Braking" and "Extreme Braking" are the two categories. According to Drivewise, hard braking is when you decelerate by 8mph in less than 1 second. If you're following a bus that makes frequent stops and you can not change lanes, depending on the bus driver's performance and lack of indication you will have a hard braking event (or two or four), someone walks out in front of you, a dog in the road, you get the idea. Extreme braking is when you decelerate by 10mph in less than 1 second. So if you come up to a short traffic light that has a 3 second yellow (these do exist) from 50mph and begin decelerating, you will likely have an extreme braking event. When you have 4 hard braking events and 1 extreme braking event over the course of 3 weeks this erodes any discount you would expect to receive from the program. I do mean ANY and ALL discounts.
Personally, I'd much rather have the driver behind me be the one who is 100% comfortable braking much harder still, say 0.75g or a bit higher - and without batting an eye - because they stay in practice at that level on occasion when the lack of other traffic permits. I'd really expect an insurer to prefer to insure that guy, absent more serious faults. But drivewise et als have no way to distinguish the good hard braker from the bad one, other than by accident history that doesn't need drivewise at all.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:02 PM   #122
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
As far as I'm concerned, this is the worst part of drivewise or any similar system.

Apparently, Allstate's trigger point for "hard braking" is 8 mph/second, or about 0.35g deceleration, which as you suggest is hardly a hard stop at all (it's about like 40 to zero in half a football field). Even their "extreme braking (10 mph/second, around 0.45g, 45 to zero in half a football field) is still a "nothing-special" level of stopping.

Allstate wants to assume that hard braking is always a consequence of following too closely, and ignores such things as short yellows, redlight cameras, the bouncing ball (and the kid chasing it), the moron who jumps out in front of you from a side street, all manner of real situations where a stop cannot be planned in advance. You get the blame regardless.

http://the-analytical.blogspot.com/2...ailure-in.html
Personally, I'd much rather have the driver behind me be the one who is 100% comfortable braking much harder still, say 0.75g or a bit higher - and without batting an eye - because they stay in practice at that level on occasion when the lack of other traffic permits. I'd really expect an insurer to prefer to insure that guy, absent more serious faults.

Norm
That discount wouldn't last a 5 minute drive around here....
Old 10-30-2014, 07:11 PM   #123
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
That discount wouldn't last a 5 minute drive around here....
Same here, at least back when I was still working and had, literally, a 5 minute morning commute. Two (very) extremes and a hard or two just inside the last minute was normal routine.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:49 AM   #124
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
They should offer a discount because Camaros brake as well as they do.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:56 AM   #125
vicnkathy
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester Turbo
I will not activate my spystar for this and many other reasons. They can take there free three months and shove it up there ass
vicnkathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:10 AM   #126
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
As stated by Norm:

"Personally, I'd much rather have the driver behind me be the one who is 100% comfortable braking much harder still, say 0.75g or a bit higher - and without batting an eye - because they stay in practice at that level on occasion when the lack of other traffic permits. I'd really expect an insurer to prefer to insure that guy, absent more serious faults. But drivewise et als have no way to distinguish the good hard braker from the bad one, other than by accident history that doesn't need drivewise at all."

Norm, I couldn't agree more. I wonder the percentage of drivers who have ever threshold breaked a car, accelerated their car as hard as it could go, or found the limit of traction in a corner at the point the car went into a four wheel drift. The person is a far better driver and far more likely to handle moron that pulls out in front of him or the kid chasing the ball than the person that passes the driving test for State Farm, Progressive, or Allstate.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote