Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-03-2010, 08:13 PM   #1
lyjo

Drives: 2SS - RS - M6
2SS/M6 Drivers Questions

Car Born on 4/7/10.. currenlty 2900 miles

I have a rattle when I push the clutch during low RPM...
Not everytime .. but mostly -first gear pulling up Driveway.. clutch in and rattle.. Sound like its below the shifter.

Dealer says it's normal linkage noise.. I'm not sure I agree.

before I take it back and push the issue ...
Anyone else have a rattle
AND
Breaks... SQUEEEK on slow down? dealer says normal for these breaks..
Old 08-03-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
Scrapppy666

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black/Black
I have the same rattle.. I've experienced this in a few manual cars. I'm not an expert but from what I can tell it's caused by low speed (too low almost) to be in whichever gear you are in, coming to a stop sort of a binding or mis-sync in the system. Push the clutch in slower when at low rpm, it will go away most likely

edit: no break squeak here

Pittsburgh Automotive Photography
Black on Black 2SS/RS w/ white stripes Dynomax 3" Bullet Catback, CAI Cold Air Intake
Scrapppy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:52 PM   #3
Madcat0911

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
I've never noticed a rattle.

I have noticed the brake squeal when i'm moving slowly, like through the access gates on base.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:07 PM   #4
Bone
2SS RJT OWNER/OPERATOR

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 RJT
No noise here. Mine shifts smooth thru all gears. And it shifts even better in high rpm's situations... The one thing she doesn't like is the low rpm street crawl.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:11 PM   #5
Roddd 1SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
I've noticed a sort of "clunking rattle" at low speeds when I put the clutch in but it doesn't sound like anything to worry about. No brake squeek though.
Roddd 1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:14 PM   #6
CaniacFan

Drives: '10 SS CGM #75,288, '14 Stingray
I've had mine for almost 8 months, haven't ever noticed a rattle or any noise while shifting through any of the gears.

I did for a short time 2-3 weeks have a very slight squeal in the brakes when braking at a very low speed, but it doesn't happen any more. Just flipped 7,000 miles today on my way to work.

Good Luck...
CaniacFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:20 PM   #7
Pazzo69

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Send a message via AIM to Pazzo69 Send a message via Yahoo to Pazzo69
I have the same rattle at low RPM's usually in 1st or 2nd. When the Revs are high there is no noise. I don't have a problem with break squeek at all.

A9148076 is alive Born on September 18, 2009

Came home on October 16, 2009

Pazzo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:21 PM   #8
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
I'd say it's normal, mine does it occasionally when running slow in 1st going through a parking lot, and I push in the clutch when stopping ...

My brakes don't have any noise issues, but the dust makes me crazy ... Going with ceramics to fix that ...
Old 08-03-2010, 09:21 PM   #9
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyjo View Post
Car Born on 4/7/10.. currenlty 2900 miles

I have a rattle when I push the clutch during low RPM...
Not everytime .. but mostly -first gear pulling up Driveway.. clutch in and rattle.. Sound like its below the shifter.

Dealer says it's normal linkage noise.. I'm not sure I agree.

before I take it back and push the issue ...
Anyone else have a rattle
AND
Breaks... SQUEEEK on slow down? dealer says normal for these breaks..

Mine was built 4/26/10, 1600 miles on the clock. You aren't the only one who has heard these noises, theres a lot more owners that experience the same sounds. I will be taking mine into the dealer tommorow just for laughs and giggles to see how they treat me.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:22 PM   #10
Z06Shame

Drives: 2002 Z06
It's normal for a manual transmission. Have you ever had a manual before? My brakes squeaked for awhile also, now I have about 7000 miles and no more squeak.
Z06Shame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:11 PM   #11
mikel441

Drives: 2014 Sonic, 2010 Camaro SS
I'm thinking throwout bearing on this one. I have heard this as well. Another normal noise. Oh, and the drive line makes noise ocassionally. The fuel strainer cleans itself from time to time. Fuel pump makes noise. The injectors clatter. Ect. Ect.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:41 PM   #12
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel441 View Post
I'm thinking throwout bearing on this one. I have heard this as well. Another normal noise. Oh, and the drive line makes noise ocassionally. The fuel strainer cleans itself from time to time. Fuel pump makes noise. The injectors clatter. Ect. Ect.
That's what I always chalked it up to ...
Old 08-04-2010, 12:07 AM   #13
Cam 427

Drives: 2010 2SS
Tell your dealer there is no "linkage", it's a hydrallic system. As said previously, it could be the throw out bearing. Or, it could be the damper springs in the clutch. The transmission could also be at fault.
Cam 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:50 AM   #14
Blacamaro

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
My tranny clunks and rattles all the time.

It's a big brute of a transmission made to handle much more horse power and torque than your Camaro is going to give it. Torque and abuse handling capacity were at the top of the list and quietness smoothness were at the bottom of the list when your transmission was designed. Same goes for the rear end assembly, and all the mounts and rubbers that effect drive-line noises and smoothness or effect the transmitting of these noises or vibrations into the car. All built for strength and reliability first and if it rattles a bit, too bad.

So,,,,

When you are going slow and punch the cluch in suddenly the tranny shutters from the shock and it rattles.

When you miss sync your shift, especially at low speeds the engine and tranny will jerk from coast to cruise a few times and you'll hear a rattle because of driveline slack.

Most of the rattle is coming from the input shaft and input bearing assembly which is huge and strong, not small and precise like in most cars. It gets whipplashed and backlashed around and you can hear it. Slack backlashes occurring elsewhere, like in your rear end will send a shock all the way through the drive train and rattle the input shaft and other parts of the transmission. And don't forget the clutch is like a spinning top on your input shaft. When you are under load at low speeds and you suddenly punch in the clutch the elasticity of the drive train sends a huge backlash all the way up to the input shaft into the clutch with it's momentum slamming back into the input shaft.

The input shaft in mounted on the front of the transmission via a very large round steel bearing assembly. There is nothing else on the front face of the transmission. The transmission is made of of cast aluminum. It is hollow. It acts like a speaker amplifying all the noises and vibrations either coming from or getting sent to the input shaft from other places. You can even take a loose transmission on the floor, put a clutch on the input shaft for momentum, then use a big screw driver on a drive shaft yoke on the output shaft to back lash the transmission and you'll hear that same noise your Camaro makes emanating from the input shaft, front face of the transmission area.

When you are sitting at the lights if you are in neutral with the clutch out you will hear a continuous rolling rattle coming from the input shaft bearings, especially if you open your door a tad to hear the undercarriage noises.

The only noise your throw out bearing will make if it is getting bad is when you push in the clutch you'll hear a steady noisy bearing roll which very noticeable as opposed to you really have to listen close to hear a normal throw out bearing. It won't make any other noises as you engage or disengage, only the same bearing noise anytime you put enough pressure on the clutch to push the throw out bearing into the pressure plate. The noise will change with RPM of course.

If you have sort of a very fast tick sort of noise seeming to come from the throw out this is from your pressure plate fingers not being totally even or level with each other, causing it to "tick" against the throw out bearing. This is common. It can come and go. It usually is nothing to worry about unless it gets increasingly worse.

The noisy bearing noise a bad throwout makes does not go away and it gets steadly worse and will have to be dealt with. The presure plate tick phenomenon should almost never mandate service, unless it's bad enough to cause a premature throwout failure. Otherwise you can keep on driving. And bear in mind, this is the sort of noise you have to listen for. Any loud ticking or other noises coming from the clutch/throw out/transmission area should be investigated.

Almost all problems with the clutch disc will be heard or felt upon engagement or maybe during disengagement. And these kinds of problems are usualy real obvious. Like there's no question you have a clutch problem, drastic not subtle, and in some cases the car is not drivable or at least unpleasant to drive.

If you listen close enough you'll hear all three of these noises in any manual transmission performance car. It's when a normal, barely noticeable noise suddenly comes to the forefront that you should worry.

If you are concerned about these noises in your new Camaro you should go for a ride in someone Else's Camaro and get them to do what ever you do that makes the noises in your car and see if they're car makes the same noises.

And a new car on the dealer's lot won't do. It has to be a broken in car with a couple thousand miles on it or the bearings are still factory tight and all the mounts are new and tight also.

AND if you think your Camaro has a clunky drive train go take a Cobra Mustang with a T45 or T56 for a ride. In my Cobra if I'm at the lights down town in neutral with the windows down I can hear the input shaft rattle coming back at me from the buildings!

Last edited by Blacamaro; 08-04-2010 at 02:06 AM.
Blacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote