Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-02-2017, 10:43 PM   #1
SoCal Racer

Drives: C4,C6 Z06,Silverado,'17 Red Hot ZL1
Another insurance question...help...

Sorry....I have found a couple of insurance questions on the forum, but unfortunately it did not really answer what I was looking for, so I will give this a try...

I currently have State Farm and for some reason my quote on the ZL1 feels a little excessive considering I have a clean record/history. So I wanted to ask what insurance companies people are using (for any sports car)? and also how many miles does your company allow annually? For example, mine allows me 7500 miles annually. If I drive 10K, my monthly payment increases +$75.

I understand insurance questions are tricky because everyone's situations are different, but with the car in transit, I could really use some options. Thanks.
SoCal Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:20 PM   #2
AlphaCamaro7

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, NPP, A8, FBO, E85
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Racer View Post
Sorry....I have found a couple of insurance questions on the forum, but unfortunately it did not really answer what I was looking for, so I will give this a try...

I currently have State Farm and for some reason my quote on the ZL1 feels a little excessive considering I have a clean record/history. So I wanted to ask what insurance companies people are using (for any sports car)? and also how many miles does your company allow annually? For example, mine allows me 7500 miles annually. If I drive 10K, my monthly payment increases +$75.

I understand insurance questions are tricky because everyone's situations are different, but with the car in transit, I could really use some options. Thanks.

Idk if I can help but I'll give my opinion just in case. I have a 2017 Camaro V6 and I have a clean record other than 2 tickets in 7 years, I have +3 points in my drivers record and I'm 23 years old. I pay around $2300 for 1 year. Which to me is almost pretty excessive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2017, 11:37 PM   #3
JeffMorse

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
SoCal, sadly you and I are in the same boat. Our zip code dooms us to high insurance rates. There are a lot of people out there with worse records paying much less than we do. All you can do is shop around.
JeffMorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:43 PM   #4
Blue17CamaroZL1
650HP soon to come

Drives: 2017 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Racer View Post

I'm gonna throw my knowledge in here. Yes everyone's situation is different but in today's world, insurance companies use a lot more than just driving records for premium numbers. I've been with progressive since 2009. I had one slight fender bender back in 2009 which caused a $1500 claim. Been accident free and ticket free ever since. However, after the 3 year period where the incident came off my record, every renewal policy has increased a few dollars each month.

After the incident came off, I was at $109/mo for full coverage on my truck. Currently I'm at $133/mo. I've added glass coverage so I knew that would be a small increase but why would it keep going on the others. After calling in and asking, they stated that I'm technically paying for everyone else's accidents. What that means is that if they pay out more in insurance claims than they take in with premiums, their policy holders premiums increase.

On top of that, your marriage status, completed education, credit score, age, being male or female and some other irrelevant factors come into play as well. Apparently being married allows a lower premium along with someone with a college degree. Don't know how that relates to someones driving abilities.

Blue17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:47 PM   #5
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
In LA county, Geico and 21st century (backed by Farmers) are the cheapest.

I pay $85 a month for my SS with Geico. With Esurance, State Farm, AAA it was around $130-140 a month.

37 years old, perfect driving record, less than 5k miles a year, no accidents or tickets in the last 10 years.
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:59 PM   #6
JeffMorse

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
To counter what Richard says, my 2012 SS with GEICO is $143 a month. 6k miles per year, single 47yo zero history of accidents or speeding tickets. Seems so arbitrary.
JeffMorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:07 AM   #7
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffMorse View Post
To counter what Richard says, my 2012 SS with GEICO is $143 a month. 6k miles per year, single 47yo zero history of accidents or speeding tickets. Seems so arbitrary.
Holy crap!! That's insane Jeff.

When I moved from Lawndale to Hawthorne and at the time I had 21st Century, it went up $10 a month. Which is strange since Hawthorne has less crime rates!

So the zip code really makes a lot of difference. Deductible is 1k as well. I only made one claim in all my life from a rolling blown tire on the freeway so mine as well save some cash.
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:17 AM   #8
toro1966

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Convertible 50th
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue17CamaroZL1 View Post
I'm gonna throw my knowledge in here. Yes everyone's situation is different but in today's world, insurance companies use a lot more than just driving records for premium numbers. I've been with progressive since 2009. I had one slight fender bender back in 2009 which caused a $1500 claim. Been accident free and ticket free ever since. However, after the 3 year period where the incident came off my record, every renewal policy has increased a few dollars each month.

After the incident came off, I was at $109/mo for full coverage on my truck. Currently I'm at $133/mo. I've added glass coverage so I knew that would be a small increase but why would it keep going on the others. After calling in and asking, they stated that I'm technically paying for everyone else's accidents. What that means is that if they pay out more in insurance claims than they take in with premiums, their policy holders premiums increase.

On top of that, your marriage status, completed education, credit score, age, being male or female and some other irrelevant factors come into play as well. Apparently being married allows a lower premium along with someone with a college degree. Don't know how that relates to someones driving abilities.
The thought is that someone with a college degree and married, is older, more mature, and will likely have better driving habits. The actuary tables support this.
toro1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:12 AM   #9
greaser2

Drives: 2017 A10 ZL1 KG
I did some shopping 2 years ago and was very surprised with the range in prices between companies. GEICO was cheapest but sometimes your local agent with an unknown Company can be cheaper. And, yes, location, social circumstances, history all play into the cost as there is a lot of data that says whom has accidents. I've never been the cause of an insurance claim. Married, older, college, sons on the honor roll and my insurance is pretty cheap. Here's a trick, have a second car that is cheap with liability as your primary driver and your insurance can be cheaper.
greaser2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:33 AM   #10
Stoner

Drives: 2017 ZL1 HBM, M6
How much your deductibles are will greatly effect your insurance cost, as well as the zip code where the vehicle resides. It's best to go into the insurance office, meet the owner and develop a relationship with the person. Explain your current situation and your goals for covering your car and or your family. With you sitting there, they can show you the different options available to you, and allow you to make the best decision based on your situation.
Stoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:41 AM   #11
17CamaroZL1
Life's Short, Live Fast!

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
No one mentioned that insurance companies raise everyone's rates every year a certain percentage, so it pays to shop around. Pick the cheapest you can find, stick with them a few years, and they'll all of a sudden be the highest. Progressive was always cheapest for me when I'd search, so I used them, never had any claims, no status changes, and a few years later I check prices because my bill kept going up, and I was able to knock over $1000 dollars off my insurance on 2 trucks and our house. My dad had told me about his local insurance with a friend of his that kept raising his cost. He would switch, the new company would raise it after a year, he'd switch back to his original insurance for what he started, raise it again.....so on. After switching with his friend 3 or 4 times, they asked why he kept switching and he told them because you keep raising my rates. Leave them alone and I'll stay. They finally quit raising them. I've experienced the same. Insurance companies are like satellite companies. They'll offer great prices for a year or two, then raise rates. You can't hardly get them to give a current customer any deals unless you threaten to leave, and even then, that doesn't always work.
Life's Short, Live Fast! https://youtu.be/rTUv2p4T7OA 10.94 at 128 mph, 11.13 at 127mph 870 DA, https://youtu.be/e_X_LcpFp50 11.19 at 127mph 1100 DA, https://youtu.be/OXQiCQdQuH4 11.40 at 125mph 1800 DA
https://youtu.be/uWba1qs8M6Q 11.52 at 123mph 3500 DA
TZQPHG '17 ZL1 HBM|A10|Nav|PDR|CFW Hood|ZL1 Mats

12/26/2016 Ordered!
2/8/2017 Built!!
3/2/2017 Brought Home!!!
17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:50 AM   #12
Stoner

Drives: 2017 ZL1 HBM, M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17CamaroZL1 View Post
No one mentioned that insurance companies raise everyone's rates every year a certain percentage, so it pays to shop around. Pick the cheapest you can find, stick with them a few years, and they'll all of a sudden be the highest. Progressive was always cheapest for me when I'd search, so I used them, never had any claims, no status changes, and a few years later I check prices because my bill kept going up, and I was able to knock over $1000 dollars off my insurance on 2 trucks and our house. My dad had told me about his local insurance with a friend of his that kept raising his cost. He would switch, the new company would raise it after a year, he'd switch back to his original insurance for what he started, raise it again.....so on. After switching with his friend 3 or 4 times, they asked why he kept switching and he told them because you keep raising my rates. Leave them alone and I'll stay. They finally quit raising them. I've experienced the same. Insurance companies are like satellite companies. They'll offer great prices for a year or two, then raise rates. You can't hardly get them to give a current customer any deals unless you threaten to leave, and even then, that doesn't always work.
I have been with State Farm for 30+ years, and I do shop around. Maybe because I have so many policies with them, and a bunch of associated discounts, no one else can come close.
Stoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:51 PM   #13
MoreSpeed

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
I have been with State Farm for 30+ years, and I do shop around. Maybe because I have so many policies with them, and a bunch of associated discounts, no one else can come close.
I have the same situation with State Farm. With discounts, Geico and others were way more expensive.

Sold 2010 997 GT3, 2016 WRX, 2006 997 C2S, 2003 996 C4S, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 E420 AMG
etc..
MoreSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:43 PM   #14
NY JOE

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Conv
Is this car going to be your daily driver or occasional use. If you aren't going to use it a lot look into classic/ antique specialty car insurance. If you have a regular vehicle to use most of these companies will insure it as a specialty or collector car even though its new for about 300 to 500 dollars a year. (at least in NY). A friend of mine even has his gen 5 SS vert and SRT Challenger insured this way. I have a classic car and 3 classic motorcycles insured this way with full coverage and 500 deductable for about 800 dollars a year.
NY JOE is offline   Reply With Quote