Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Phastek Performance

Old 11-10-2017, 06:19 AM   #4677
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
New Ram touch screen.

GM's new dash.

Back to the drawing board GM. Let's hope we're just looking at different trim levels.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:34 AM   #4678
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Weak sauce indeed. Although I don’t need anything that pretty in a pickup. Just make shit work and price it competitively
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:56 AM   #4679
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
GM dash might not be top trim, or maybe it is...who knows. I think it looks fine...."good enough"...like the current GM trucks dash. Not bad looking. But that dash in the RAM is just gorgeous. Win for the RAM for sure. I've been a fan of the RAM dash for years now.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:34 AM   #4680
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
I'm not a big fan of the "tablet" entertainment look in newer cars and I don't like a million buttons either so I guess I'm too picky. I like the setup in my 17 Silverado because it's clean, functional, and most importantly I like the feel of the buttons when pushed. I refuse to buy any vehicle without a volume knob though, it's so annoying to need to turn down the volume quickly and have to hit a button a thousand times haha.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:22 AM   #4681
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
I'm not a big fan of the "tablet" entertainment look in newer cars and I don't like a million buttons either so I guess I'm too picky. I like the setup in my 17 Silverado because it's clean, functional, and most importantly I like the feel of the buttons when pushed. I refuse to buy any vehicle without a volume knob though, it's so annoying to need to turn down the volume quickly and have to hit a button a thousand times haha.
Would you run for president, I like your thinking sir.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:48 AM   #4682
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
I'm also not a fan of knobs for shifting instead of a real life lever of some sort in a truck... call me old fashion.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:00 AM   #4683
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
The problem is that the majority of folks want the technology now. If they bring to market a new truck that has the same dash as the old one, they're already behind.

I agree with the volume knob. I put a double-din after market unit in my 1st gen Colorado to get some of the new technology. With it, came a 7inch screen with no knobs..... I feel your pain.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:05 AM   #4684
JerTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherob View Post
I'm also not a fan of knobs for shifting instead of a real life lever of some sort in a truck... call me old fashion.
I could possibly get my head around a shift knob on the dash, but I can't for the life of me understand why you would want a shift lever on the console. It seems like a waste of valuable space. I would get rid of console levers on cars if I could. Eventually they will all be knobs though, cause electric cars won't have mechanical transmissions.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:10 AM   #4685
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Personally, I don't want a giant touch screen. Or a small one. A little LCD strip to tell me the time & whats playing is all that I can ever foresee wanting, let alone needing.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:13 AM   #4686
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
I could possibly get my head around a shift knob on the dash, but I can't for the life of me understand why you would want a shift lever on the console. It seems like a waste of valuable space. I would get rid of console levers on cars if I could. Eventually they will all be knobs though, cause electric cars won't have mechanical transmissions.
?

Every electric car has a mechanical transmission. The electric motor turns a shaft at high speed, the transmission slows it down with gears to something usable. It transmits the power mechanically. Mechanical transmission.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:27 PM   #4687
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Most I have had or seen you just keep your finger on the arrow and it goes down or up on it’s own, you don’t have to hit it a thousand times ..
Old 11-10-2017, 12:54 PM   #4688
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
I didn't dig it back then (1963 Plymouth), not digging it now...
Attached Images

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:37 PM   #4689
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
New Ram touch screen.

can you imagine the cost of getting that screen replaced or repaired when it inevitably fails? no thank you
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:58 PM   #4690
JerTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
?

Every electric car has a mechanical transmission. The electric motor turns a shaft at high speed, the transmission slows it down with gears to something usable. It transmits the power mechanically. Mechanical transmission.
I'm certain you just like to argue the small points haha. I was referring to mechanical as a means to select gears. Soon it will all be solenoids or actuators instead of valves that need to be manually manipulated. More like a current style transfer case, mechanical gears actuated by electric motors. I probably should have used the term hydraulic/mechanical transmission. Or is there another term you would like me to use to prevent a semantics lesson?

Tags
fenwickhockey65, gm questions, questions