Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 04-29-2016, 08:04 PM   #29
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
One of the first mods we did on our 4th Gen cars was to install a driveshaft loop. I haven't drag raced in a long time, but they are certainly still available!

Best regards,

Elie
Old 04-30-2016, 01:58 PM   #30
MovieGuy

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by garfin View Post
One of the first mods we did on our 4th Gen cars was to install a driveshaft loop. I haven't drag raced in a long time, but they are certainly still available!

Best regards,

Elie
That is an excellent idea

Life after retirement
MovieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:40 AM   #31
Snowblind

Drives: '16 2SS / '05 SRT10 Ram / '65 bu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
The reason manufacturers go with a 2-piece driveshaft is primarily cost. By putting an extra joint in the middle it eliminates the need to spend the time and money balancing the shaft which is why 1-piece shafts are more expensive. The trade-off is efficiency. The 2-piece aren't as efficient which adds resistance in the driveline, and that reduces the amount of power that makes it to the rear wheels.

A 1-piece should make the car smoother; not add vibration. If there's more vibration then something is wrong with either the shaft, the mounts, bolts, etc. They do make a difference in the performance of the car and you can definitely feel it. Here's a link to my project thread which includes dyno charts showing the before/after results of installing a 1-piece on my 5th gen Camaro.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=45165&page=8

Having had both an aluminum and a carbon fiber, unless you're planning on doing a lot of track events (or just have the money) I'd recommend the aluminum shaft due to cost. It'll give you most of the benefits at about half the price of a CF shaft. What you gain with the CF shaft is the ability to handle higher amounts of power and torque, and the acceleration response seems just a tad crisper. Either way it's definitely an improvement.
I scrolled through most of your member journal and it's a great read, thanks for sharing Doc
Old 07-10-2016, 10:00 AM   #32
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
The kid removed the limiter on the v6 mustang and that's what caused the issue of the driveshaft exploding. The V8 mustangs have a heavier duty driveshaft capable of handling the high speed and power of the v8. Ford engineered it to handle only so much and he used a tuner to remove the limiter. If Ford were to reactively go and add limiters to cars they would have had to perform a recall or there would still be cars out there with a potentially dangerous issue. We would have heard about it.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:08 AM   #33
MovieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
The kid removed the limiter on the v6 mustang and that's what caused the issue of the driveshaft exploding. The V8 mustangs have a heavier duty driveshaft capable of handling the high speed and power of the v8. Ford engineered it to handle only so much and he used a tuner to remove the limiter. If Ford were to reactively go and add limiters to cars they would have had to perform a recall or there would still be cars out there with a potentially dangerous issue. We would have heard about it.
They started putting the limiter on in 2012. Manufacturers only issue recalls if someone gets injured or killed. They issue TSBs for common issues. This evidently didn't cause enough issues to generate a TSB. Seriously, how many people actually take tehir cars that fast? Also they went to a different drive shaft in either 12 or 13 I don't remember which. But I still didn't trust it.

Life after retirement

Last edited by MovieGuy; 07-10-2016 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:27 AM   #34
MovieGuy

Here are a couple threads on the forums I used to follow.
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f356/t317764/
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ustang-v6.html

As I said in the OP I was just curious. I don't expect to ever get much over 100 and that will only be if my car will go that fast at Test N Tune. I rarely go more than 5 over the limits on the streets.

Life after retirement
Old 07-10-2016, 11:47 AM   #35
crankaholic

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
If you're going to go through the trouble of upgrading the driveshaft then just get a cf one... the weight reduction is worth the extra $. Most stock driveshafts are made out of heavy steel and really kill engine response. As far as speed ratings, make sure your tires are up to the speeds you want to run as well... a blown out tire at 150mph isn't any better than a driveshaft through the floorboard.