Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 09-20-2016, 06:13 PM   #29
MiamiBlueCamaro

Drives: Gen 6 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gw6211 View Post
nice looking camaro, is that the 2018? They are hacking a tesla, you drive a camaro. You would have a better chance and a lightning strike.

Isle 4 at the Safeway buddy......aluminum foil. On the back of the box it even shows you how to make a hat out of aluminum foil.
Attached Images

MiamiBlueCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:15 PM   #30
sub_ETCS_ret

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmb View Post
I can't believe people are debating whether or not someone has the right to remove a tracking device from their car.

1) it's their car

2) it's there choice - or atleast should be

End of discussion
+1

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners
sub_ETCS_ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:26 PM   #31
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiBlueCamaro View Post
This. It's not just opting out of another vendor selling your information they collect. It's closing down a vector that can be used to remote hack your car

(something that _DID_ get exposed to GM and they took 5 years to fix it because those that told them were white hat researchers and the flaw never made it out in the wild).

i dont want my drivetrain connected to the internet. Automotive security is bad enough without having to add corporate security of customer data. Simple as that.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:37 PM   #32
bbrown450

Drives: 2016 Mosaic Black 2SS
That does not surprise me as it is insurance ...of sorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laborsmith View Post
Impulsive or impressive? For many years OnStar has been the most profitable GM Division, and may even still be.

Laborsmith
bbrown450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:04 PM   #33

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Millions and millions of cars on the road without ON-Star.

How is it they have successfully avoided disaster up to this point?

They have marketed it brilliantly. Ironically, the "paranoia" is self-created with the fear of not having it.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:21 PM   #34
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
OnStar is used by many vehicle makers not just GM and I believe Ford has its own version but I don't follow Ford so I could be wrong.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:28 PM   #35
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
A few points.

First, the OP said his brother was irate. This is beyond silly. He went into a dealership and asked them to remove his seat belts and airbag. They are not going to remove a safety device. The liability is beyond ridiculous for that dealer. Even to tell him how to do it makes them liable. And it has ZERO to do with whether he owns the car or not.

If you want to remove it, remove. I can assure you GM isn't spying on you. The very first case (non criminal without a warrant) where GM or anyone is accused of spying or selling data will be the last day of OnStar. It would shut it down almost instantly. As pointed out, GM makes money with it and this would end it.

When I worked for GM and tried to use OnStar to collect data on customer usage in order to improve our testing procedures, I was told quite clearly that the data is available, but it is not associated with a customer or specific car. GM was very clear on this when they launched the Volt. You can look it up yourselves. GM is not spying.

Now your insurance company may offer a discount to let THEM spy, but that 10% discount letter gets thrown away. If you don't authorize it, the data does not get used in any secret way.

Now the on board data recorder? Different story. That records the last few seconds of throttle, brake, steering angel, speed etc. That is government mandated. For those that are street racing you might want to more concerned about that bad boy than OnStar.

Me? I've had it since the beginning. Love the service and love what it provides and like anything else, it isn't for everybody. But I know puppies won't die if I don't have it.

Also, pretty much every other OEM now offers some level of connectivity standard or optional.

Oh and did you know if you get a CEL, you can call OnStar and they can tell you what it is?
Old 09-20-2016, 07:50 PM   #36
Sp00ner

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
go back and read the comments. the op was called paranoid - was suggested he had something to hide and suggested he was illegally street racing.

So ya - people acted pretty uncivil towards a person simply wanting to remove a device from their car.

I'm glad you like your onstar. I'd be interested in hearing what you like about it - I havent found any value in mine.
Great, so we're in agreement that no one claimed the person didn't have the right to remove it.

I like OnStar due to the remote lock/unlock, cell phone status check, remote start from the phone, it's ability to find my car if stolen, and the fact that it almost certainly saved my grandmothers life as she was having a heart attack in a Costco parking lot.

If people are being uncivil, the most useless thing on the planet is to match that civility level. It just makes everyone look like a herp-a-derp.
Sp00ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:51 PM   #37
irmb

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
A few points.

First, the OP said his brother was irate. This is beyond silly. He went into a dealership and asked them to remove his seat belts and airbag. They are not going to remove a safety device. The liability is beyond ridiculous for that dealer. Even to tell him how to do it makes them liable. And it has ZERO to do with whether he owns the car or not.

If you want to remove it, remove. I can assure you GM isn't spying on you. The very first case (non criminal without a warrant) where GM or anyone is accused of spying or selling data will be the last day of OnStar. It would shut it down almost instantly. As pointed out, GM makes money with it and this would end it.

When I worked for GM and tried to use OnStar to collect data on customer usage in order to improve our testing procedures, I was told quite clearly that the data is available, but it is not associated with a customer or specific car. GM was very clear on this when they launched the Volt. You can look it up yourselves. GM is not spying.

Now your insurance company may offer a discount to let THEM spy, but that 10% discount letter gets thrown away. If you don't authorize it, the data does not get used in any secret way.

Now the on board data recorder? Different story. That records the last few seconds of throttle, brake, steering angel, speed etc. That is government mandated. For those that are street racing you might want to more concerned about that bad boy than OnStar.

Me? I've had it since the beginning. Love the service and love what it provides and like anything else, it isn't for everybody. But I know puppies won't die if I don't have it.

Also, pretty much every other OEM now offers some level of connectivity standard or optional.

Oh and did you know if you get a CEL, you can call OnStar and they can tell you what it is?
I still want to know what people like about onstar. Honest question.
irmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:59 PM   #38
Whis

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp00ner View Post
It just makes everyone look like a herp-a-derp.
I found a great site for you: www.reddit.com
Whis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:01 PM   #39
Sp00ner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whis View Post
I found a great site for you: www.reddit.com
Man, you are a sharp one, just cant dull that edge!
Old 09-20-2016, 08:06 PM   #40
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
I still want to know what people like about onstar. Honest question.
Probably nothing to any member here, because we are enthusiasts. However to the other 99pct of the general public that treat their car like transportation or an appliance, some people like to be linked to concierge, help, roadside assistance, etc. etc. but on a forum you're not gonna get anybody that likes it.

I don't mind it , but it's too expensive for the value that I attach to it.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:13 PM   #41
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
I will reiterate this so some of you aren't convinced everyone who wants OnStar removed keeps a collection of various sizes of tin foil hats in their closet......

I pay $60.00/month for my iPhone. Why on earth would I want to spend more money for the same thing? So what if it can't call for assistance in an accident, remote start my car, or follow it if stolen? I have never had that in my life. It's not going to alter my life if I still don't.

It really doesn't make sense in the year 2016. In 1998 yes of course because there was no Bluetooth and cell phones weren't all that to begin with.

Bluetooth and CarPlay have rendered OnStar a dinosaur!

But it's 2016. My iPhone makes OnStar and any other similar device with other manufacturers moot and obsolete. GM does a great job making you believe you need it or will die, though.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:18 PM   #42
Sp00ner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Probably nothing to any member here, because we are enthusiasts. However to the other 99pct of the general public that treat their car like transportation or an appliance, some people like to be linked to concierge, help, roadside assistance, etc. etc. but on a forum you're not gonna get anybody that likes it.

I don't mind it , but it's too expensive for the value that I attach to it.
Every night before I leave work when it's -10 out, I will love hitting that button on the phone from my desk. Honestly, that aspect alone is worth it to me for winter.