Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-15-2017, 06:03 PM   #1
Sooner Cole

Drives: 2019 ZL1-1LE A10
Why is ZL1-1LE available only in manual?

I was surprised to learn that the ZL1-1LE is only going to be available with the manual transmission? With all of the hype surrounding the new A10, why do you think they are not making the car with both options? Is this something that was expected? Did the 2015 Z28 have both options or do the track dedicated cars usually only have manual? Anyone have any inside info on this?
Old 04-15-2017, 06:12 PM   #2
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quite simply... it's a 1LE.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:20 PM   #3
hashtag

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10/2018 GT350R #JR603
It's a all out race car. Have u seen the 1LE tires?
Old 04-15-2017, 06:22 PM   #4
Gonasurvive

Drives: 17 ZL1 MBM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17ZL1Camaro View Post
I was surprised to learn that the ZL1-1LE is only going to be available with the manual transmission? With all of the hype surrounding the new A10, why do you think they are not making the car with both options? Is this something that was expected? Did the 2015 Z28 have both options or do the track dedicated cars usually only have manual? Anyone have any inside info on this?
Everything I have read has stated, that automatic remove a lot of human involvement from racing and are not allowed due to that fact. Just like dragging an auto, you just have to push the pedal and off you go. Where as dragging a manual you have to clutch, shift and use the gas. Autos just take too many human elements (driver skill) away, and it's truly just the car doing the racing. Just my friendly two cents and with an easy google search, racing rules are on the internet.
Gonasurvive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 06:26 PM   #5
Rockmonstir

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
It's a drivers car.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:42 PM   #6
Sooner Cole

Drives: 2019 ZL1-1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonasurvive View Post
Everything I have read has stated, that automatic remove a lot of human involvement from racing and are not allowed due to that fact. Just like dragging an auto, you just have to push the pedal and off you go. Where as dragging a manual you have to clutch, shift and use the gas. Autos just take too many human elements (driver skill) away, and it's truly just the car doing the racing. Just my friendly two cents and with an easy google search, racing rules are on the internet.
I agree with what you are saying and if I order one, I had planned on the manual. I always enjoyed the interaction with the shifting and the car. It just feels right, but just surprised because of so much conversation about the A10.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:58 PM   #7
crazydmc
ummmm

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Nightfall w/Blk Wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonasurvive View Post
more likely a manual is best suited for TRACK... less complicated, less likely to overheat, launching and fast shifting not as important. sure an A10 is great for drag racing.. but 1LE is for TRACK, not drag racing
crazydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:01 PM   #8
edc901

Drives: 2017 ZL1
#racecar
Old 04-15-2017, 07:09 PM   #9
Gonasurvive

Drives: 17 ZL1 MBM M6
Quote:
I agree with what you are saying and if I order one, I had planned on the manual. I always enjoyed the interaction with the shifting and the car. It just feels right, but just surprised because of so much conversation about the A10.
The 1LE package is the race ready version of our ZL1, different tires, different suspension and the reason why no A10 option with the package (Auto are not allowed to race in certified races). The 1LE is pretty much just for racing on the track, can be a DD, but depends on how you like a stiff ride. Were as our ZL1 is meant for DD, Drag and track. The 1LE will beat the normal ZL1 on the Track, but won't beat the normal ZL1 on drag strip. I might be wrong, to me it seems like all the Aerodynamics on the 1LE would slow it down on a drag strip a little bit. If you get the 1LE package make sure to look over the options, because I would beat somethings are going to be missing, compared to the normal loaded ZL1.
Gonasurvive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:29 PM   #10
7stringtheory

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I think its also the fact that a manual transmission is just going to be more reliable on a track. Automatic transmissions tend to overheat when abused on road courses for long sessions.
7stringtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:58 PM   #11
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
The reasons are simple-ish...

-- Less Weight.
-- Less heat.
-- A10 = M6 on track (roughly)
-- more control, road course drivers like that
-- 1LE, #racecar, etc chest-thumping

And yes, the Z/28 was manual only. The 1LE models are all manual only. The Viper ACR was manual only, GT350R manual only...it's pretty typical to see a dedicated track car offered in manual transmission only.
The few exceptions are very expensive, and very exotic. (eg. Porsche 911 GT3, McLaren, Ferrari)

You can be pretty well-assured that if they didn't include something as standard, then it didn't make the car faster. And if something didn't make the car faster...then it's not an option worth offering on this car.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:19 PM   #12
MY 19 Z

Drives: 98 S10 LS1
Have to agree with Mr. Wyndham.
MY 19 Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:55 PM   #13
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Z/28 came from the plant with a M6 (we know of one Auto but not from GM) no race car comes with 2 heat pumps (1 is the A-10 the second is the blower) let's hope this car does not slow down after 20 min on the race track!!
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:58 AM   #14
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Quote:
I was surprised to learn that the ZL1-1LE is only going to be available with the manual transmission?
That's because that car is for REAL drivers and not those who just press on gas pedal and let computer do the shifting.
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote