Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-02-2015, 08:47 PM   #43
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
These cars will be worthless as most cars. Most will live as other products. The Z28, and zl1 are the only ones that have a chance, but I don't think even they will be. It's a very different world we live in and it's only getting stranger by the moment. The r is a possibility that they may have worth in countries other than the US.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:58 PM   #44
Splat

Drives: 2012 1SS M6 IOM
Stop worrying about the future of your cars, and just enjoy them.

Because if you don't, the next guy who buys it will.
Mods: LSA Supercharger, 2.55 Pulley, Custom Boost Cam, ARH LTH 1 7/8, HFC, 3' Magnaflow Exhaust, JLT CAI, Elite CC V2, BO White Stage 2 TB, GM 3.91 Gears, DSS CF Driveshaft, BMR Bushing Kit.... . Tuned by JTM Motorsports 540 Hp 550Tq on 9PSI

Axles, Monster Clutch, Hotchkis TVS Track Pack kit.......For 2018.
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:06 PM   #45
backeddy
Banned

Drives: 2011 Boxster Spyder (best car ever)
As a smart c5 member once said:

"not driving your car to keep the mileage low, is like not having sex with your girlfriend, so the next guy can enjoy her more"
backeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:01 AM   #46
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
in all honesty its almost impossible to tell if a mass produced vehicle will have a resale in 60 years. there's just no way to know.

its easier with limited run cars to make that assumption and even then its a toss up. its all supply and demand. if for some reason in 2070 there's a huge trend that involves 5th gen Camaros, yea the value will go up.

all I know is the value of mine keeps dropping every time I check.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:07 AM   #47
Pagliaro
RIP Betsy ( Vitara )

Drives: '11 SGM 1LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pagliaro Send a message via MSN to Pagliaro Send a message via Yahoo to Pagliaro
Here's the problem. We mod our Camaros collectors want low mileage stock. Pretty hard to find stock camaros because once that bug hits we are infected.

First retrofitted 2014 mylink.
Pagliaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:23 AM   #48
Kid

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT, 68 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by backeddy View Post
As a smart c5 member once said:

"not driving your car to keep the mileage low, is like not having sex with your girlfriend, so the next guy can enjoy her more"
^^^This!

No car is an "instant" collector car. It will take many years for the going rate of these cars surpass the price they were new...but they will. How much will it cost you to in the process? Much more than the offset.

Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:02 AM   #49
Criticalmass

Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium
All non-autonomous cars will be worth something in 30 years. The way things are going, only the older cars that you can drive yourself in will be allowed on the road. At some point, you will have no choice but to buy a brand new car with autonomous capabilities.

Just like the seatbelt laws grandfathered in antique's that didn't come with seatbelts. Back in the 50's, seatbelts were optional, in the 40's, most cars and trucks didn't have them at all.

rest assured that at some point our government will make autonomous cars the "law" when purchasing new, for our own good, and there will be a segment of the population that doesn't want that, or the "big brother" of cars watching over everything little thing you do. Granted, some people NEED that technology, but a lot of us don't, and won't want it.

By then, hopefully, Hydrogen cars will be a bigger player (battery powered cars are crap and the batteries are expensive to replace, and they do not rely on renewable energy sources and are worse for the environment than gasoline powered cars. Hydrogen kits will be sold to convert existing engines to hydrogen, and all will be good.
Criticalmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:22 AM   #50
Phenix

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS/RS 1LE
$3000 in 1968 is $20,396 today, so consider that when you are looking to see how much those 1st gens have gained value (and consider how much was spent on them throughout their life to put them into whatever condition they are in). Like someone said previously, a car's selling price is based on supply and demand. That's true for a 1 year old car as much as it is a 50 year old car. Back in the 60s and 70s cars weren't meant to last as long as they are these days. Our newer cars are going to last longer, and keeping them from crumbling into a rust stain on the ground is easier now than it was on those old cars. This all means there will be more of them still around after 50 years which will keep the supply up and prices down.
Phenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:54 AM   #51
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
I think you misread my quote.

I said you should be able to afford at least a 75% cash down payment on your car.

With today's overly (irresponsibly) cheap, excessive liquidity of leveraged capital, it makes way more sense to finance at <3% interest (inflation or less) and invest your current capital in appreciating investments. To buy a $40,000 car, you should have $30,000 in cash just lying around. I didn't say you have to use it!

I take a similar approach to college debt. Your total debt shouldn't exceed your first year's working salary. If you are projected to make $60,000/year and you owe $100,000 in loans, it's gonna be a rocky road.
I think your plan is great, but I promise you that I did not have 75% to put down on the 1LE or the Avalanche that I would have been comfortable putting down, but I also knew that I could handle the payments based on a careful handle on the cash flow. Your advice is sound, and I watch younger folks put themselves in bad spots all the time. If you did yourself a big hole out of the gate, it is a bear to play catch up.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:11 AM   #52
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Although nothing tops the Gen1s for looks, in my opinion, the Gen5s are definitely a close second. Everything in between is just "ho-hum" in my book. And the way folks are wrecking the Gen5s by not knowing how to handle the power or use their mirrors... in a decade or so a mint condition one will be pretty rare.
I agree. As the years roll on, Camaro prices will drop and then go up. I bought a 69 Camaro back in 1981 in pretty good shape for $1800. It had a 350 & 4 speed. I think I sold it for $2500 after driving it a bunch and getting it painted. Gen 5 will go down in value and rebound eventually. Cars with low miles in good condition will be sought after in another 20 years as they become more rare. After that the values will begin to rise. The first Camaros are 48 years old now. Don't expect 5th gen Camaros to be worth more than we paid for them until 2050 or 2060. There will not be many left by then, especially in the north where winters rot everything in 5-10 years from the salt on the roads.
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:21 AM   #53
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
My question on Value of current/near future Camaro's has more to do with CAFE rules then anything else. Will we see 5th or 6th gen V8 cars hold (not gain) their value a lot better due to the possible 7th gen being a much either smaller or lighter or look nothing like our idea of a Camaro. Also will they be turbo 4, or turbo 6, electric, Hybrid with a turbo 4, Hydrogen, who knows what???? Myself and I believe many others like these cars because they look like a muscle car and have that V8 muscle car sound. I just wonder will there be a sub 100K dollar V8 car around for long with the ever tightening cafe stanard's. I am guessing that the price will go up to pay for either lighter materials (carbon fiber aluminum magnesium???) or to supplement discounts on cars that will off set the fleet avg or to buy credits from another maker that's above the fleet avg????
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:26 AM   #54
87GNX

Drives: Alot
The 5th gen like the 5th gen mustang is outdated now and therefore the price drop/dropping.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:38 AM   #55
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Also don't forget that one of things that really helps the classics have tremendous value now is the ones with rare combinations of options. you can't really get a rare combo of options on new cars.

Example

In 1969 my dad ordered a 1969 Oldsmobile 44 W-30. He got it in a color that wasn't even offered on the 442 it was a Toronado color.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:41 AM   #56
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
My question on Value of current/near future Camaro's has more to do with CAFE rules then anything else. Will we see 5th or 6th gen V8 cars hold (not gain) their value a lot better due to the possible 7th gen being a much either smaller or lighter or look nothing like our idea of a Camaro. Also will they be turbo 4, or turbo 6, electric, Hybrid with a turbo 4, Hydrogen, who knows what???? Myself and I believe many others like these cars because they look like a muscle car and have that V8 muscle car sound. I just wonder will there be a sub 100K dollar V8 car around for long with the ever tightening cafe stanard's. I am guessing that the price will go up to pay for either lighter materials (carbon fiber aluminum magnesium???) or to supplement discounts on cars that will off set the fleet avg or to buy credits from another maker that's above the fleet avg????
We could all get a big surprise with gen7, They may all look like a Prius On Steroids !!! I never thought Chevrolet would build a car that looked like the older Camaros from the 60s. Camaros took such a drastic turn after 1972. They did appeal to some people. We will have to see what happens and be very happy they came out with the 5th Gen Camaro. Great Looks and Great Performance. I'll enjoy mine for quite a while I hope.
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote