Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Phastek Performance

Old 02-19-2018, 02:11 AM   #1
j.curt

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
White Camaro

I apologize in advance if this has been asked before. I did search and found info on white stripes and white interior, bit not white paint.

I have a 2017 Camaro that I bought with 5000 miles on it. I want to detail it and try to protect the paint. I haven't detailed a car for awhile and I know products are getting better. I have a bunch of BlackFire products that are about 2 years old as well a bottle of Black Light. Stored in my garage so they have felt the 100 plus degree heat. Are these still good and are they the best product to use on a white car?

I also have a white, orange, black pad still in the package. I am assuming these don't go bad.

Being the car is new, what process and product do you recommend? I just purchased a bottle of Chemical Guys Jet Seal. Found it on Amazon for $5 shipped so I got it.
j.curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:11 AM   #2
timmy8784
Drippin' Wet Auto Detail

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.curt View Post
I apologize in advance if this has been asked before. I did search and found info on white stripes and white interior, bit not white paint.

I have a 2017 Camaro that I bought with 5000 miles on it. I want to detail it and try to protect the paint. I haven't detailed a car for awhile and I know products are getting better. I have a bunch of BlackFire products that are about 2 years old as well a bottle of Black Light. Stored in my garage so they have felt the 100 plus degree heat. Are these still good and are they the best product to use on a white car?

I also have a white, orange, black pad still in the package. I am assuming these don't go bad.

Being the car is new, what process and product do you recommend? I just purchased a bottle of Chemical Guys Jet Seal. Found it on Amazon for $5 shipped so I got it.
Hi J.Curt,

A good place to start would be checking out the documents that Glen E on this forum has on his signature (he responds to most of the detailing threads on here so shouldn't be too hard to find a post from him). That will give you a good place to start.

IMO, if you have had those Blackfire products for 2 years, I would not use them as in my experience, shelf life for those types of products start to deteriorate after about a year.

There are TONS of new products out there now and you could drive yourself crazy trying to find the "Best" things out there.

In terms of protection, it pretty much goes like this in terms of longevity: Wax<Sealant<Si02 Based Sealant<Coatings. The Jet Seal falls into the Sealant category. Here are a couple of links to some great middle of the range Si02 based products for you to check out. They are very easy to use and have great benefits.

Have fun!

Favorite Waterless/Rinseless/Detailer: CarPro Ech02

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f996b6389faf44

Favorite Sealant: CarPro Reload

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...5b22526854b5c5

Favorite Quick Si02 Based Sealant (Spray on Rinse Off): Gyeon Wet Coat

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...d810431a7845e1
timmy8784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:15 AM   #3
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Tim nailed it, you can’t keep any products in the garage anymore, they separate in the heat cold. Here’s a simple way to keep your car in good shape. But any good finishing polish and a sealant and you’ll be fine. Read the docs in my links below. In my opinion, and many others here, these are two of the the Easiest and most efficient product out today:

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...hlight=Essence

But don’t overthink this, white is the easiest color to detail, it never shows a huge amount of gloss but at the same time it does not show abuse/dirt either.

Last edited by Glen e; 02-19-2018 at 11:26 AM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:19 PM   #4
j.curt

I appreciate the advice. The main thing is not to make the paint worse thinking I was doing a good thing.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:55 AM   #5
j.curt

As an unexperienced detailer, would trying to do a ceramic coating type detail in the garage a good idea? I seen a post of someone using Optimum Glass Coat with little to no detailing experience.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:04 AM   #6
Glen e

With somebody completely inexperienced, I would recommend against it. First you need to learn how to use a random orbital, a polishing pad, A finishing polish and sealant. My docs below are written for you. Plenty of time to do a coating later, learn to do whats talked about above.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:32 AM   #7
j.curt

I do have the Porter Cable buffer and have done the full paint correction a couple times. I know it takes years of experience though to become a good detailer
Old 02-24-2018, 01:35 AM   #8
Glen e

Nah, if you have done polishing, Just get the surface where it looks good, then wipe on a coating. . Watch the YouTube's on it , you seem to want to do that , it's not hard. Try cquartzUK coating.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:53 AM   #9
j.curt

Can't go wrong with YouTube. I watched hours of the Junkman before trying my first detail.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:53 AM   #10
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Making the Summit White look amazing is so easy.
A quick 60 minutes of wash/dry/paint cleaning/ with a light polish and seal will make white look better than someone who spends 3 or 4 hours on their black or dark car.

Get and learn an orbital. It will be your friend. One good polish in the spring will keep your car radiant all year.

With the recent warm weather I did a quick freshen up and used my 2 year old Blackfire products. No issues. Looks amazing.....but I do keep the bottles in the basement.

Cheers

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote