Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-31-2014, 04:29 PM   #1
edmKC

Drives: 2012 - 2SS
Help - what color primer under yellow paint

I have a yellow 2012 SS which was recently repaired at a local shop, and I'm not happy with the color matching they did. The paint on the new bumper is a darker shade than the hood and fender. I complained and the shop is going to respray and try to correct the color, but I'm curious as to what they did wrong.

I have a couple of stone chips in the front of the hood they're white/gray colored. I asked whether the shop sprayed over white/gray or black/dark primer and couldn't get a clear answer. He said the bumper comes with black primer, but when I questioned him further on that he just said that the paint guys would have followed Chevy's paint protocol. It seems to me that the stone chips in my original bumper were white as well, but of course they don't have the bumper any more so I can't say for sure. Could someone else here with a yellow Camaro tell me whether the stone chips in their bumper are white, or black?

Thanks.
edmKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:31 PM   #2
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
If I recall correctly from back when I got some curb rash on the front bottom end of my bumper, the primer was black. Don't take my word for it though.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:35 PM   #3
tw78911sc

Drives: 14 1SS Camaro 1LE, NPP, Recaros
My 2014 Summit White marks show black, not sure if it is primer or plastic.
tw78911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:43 PM   #4
notmidlife

Drives: 2014 Camaro LS
Bumpers are extremely hard to color match to the rest of the car. The flex agent needed to paint a bumper can change the shade of paint. Yellow also seems to be a very unforgiving color for paint matching.

I had a yellow 2005 Cobalt SS ( bought new) and it looked like the body panels had 3 different shades of yellow. Hope they are able to make you happy with your car.
notmidlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:07 PM   #5
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmKC View Post
I have a yellow 2012 SS which was recently repaired at a local shop, and I'm not happy with the color matching they did. The paint on the new bumper is a darker shade than the hood and fender. I complained and the shop is going to respray and try to correct the color, but I'm curious as to what they did wrong.

I have a couple of stone chips in the front of the hood they're white/gray colored. I asked whether the shop sprayed over white/gray or black/dark primer and couldn't get a clear answer. He said the bumper comes with black primer, but when I questioned him further on that he just said that the paint guys would have followed Chevy's paint protocol. It seems to me that the stone chips in my original bumper were white as well, but of course they don't have the bumper any more so I can't say for sure. Could someone else here with a yellow Camaro tell me whether the stone chips in their bumper are white, or black?

Thanks.
The front and rear fascia's are black plastic and are ready to paint straight from GM and don't need primer. The metal parts of the car have white primer under the base coat.

Your dilemma actually lies with the differences in painting plastic vs metal. If you take a plastic part and a metal part, use the same primer and the same base coat, the plastic part will always be a darker shade. On light colored vehicles, the difference is more noticeable.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote