Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 08-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #1
wheelio
Banned

Drives: camaro v6
Speaker Question/Warranty

Lately I've been turning the volume on the radio all the way up and playing a song with the best bass I can fine. Normally I keep the radio very low but a neighbor has been acting out lately so I've decided to be annoying as well. My question is what are the chances of the speakers blowing? This would be covered under the bumper to bumper warranty correct?
wheelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
suzook

Drives: camaro
There is a very good chance you will blow it. Yes...covered by bumper to bumper.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
There is a very good chance you will blow it. Yes...covered by bumper to bumper.
Right and wrong.

Yes most likely you will blow the speaker but if it was determined that the was blown out of abuse, like turning the volume up really loud, it will not be covered.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
jkchambless
Austin LT

Drives: 1LT - Airaid,JBA Axleback,VMax PTB
How is turning up your stereo to the max considered "abuse"....the speakers should be rated for whatever the system can push through them.
jkchambless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:57 PM   #5
wheelio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkchambless View Post
How is turning up your stereo to the max considered "abuse"....the speakers should be rated for whatever the system can push through them.
Agreed
Old 08-16-2013, 03:32 PM   #6
TwistedEnergy

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
I blew my left front lower speaker (driver door)...never had volume above 35, most of the time its at 22 to 30. It happened after my warranty had expired and I was even contemplating getting the extended warranty. So now it pops at anything with a lot of bass and the volume above like 23. So I have to turn the bass all the way down to like -3 on the EQ to be able to get more volume.

Just thought I would share, as you can see it is very possible to blow the damn speaker even under normal conditions.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:13 PM   #7
wheelio
Banned

can anyone please clarify this issue?
Old 08-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #8
~ChipsAhoy~
Shenanigans

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
It would be the same as running your car at redline for long, extended periods of time. Something eventually has to give.

To answer your question, no it would not be covered under a factory bumper to bumper warranty if you state you had the music cranked. That would be classified as "Negligence." Now, if you stated you had it up at 18-20, not max, and it blew...then that might be a different story.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:16 PM   #9
jkchambless
Austin LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ChipsAhoy~ View Post
It would be the same as running your car at redline for long, extended periods of time. Something eventually has to give.

To answer your question, no it would not be covered under a factory bumper to bumper warranty if you state you had the music cranked. That would be classified as "Negligence." Now, if you stated you had it up at 18-20, not max, and it blew...then that might be a different story.
Just curious, but how can you definitively answer this question....experience? Specifically stated in the warranty? Head of customer service for GM? Warranty school of Nod Nod Wink Wink?
Old 08-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #10
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Correct answer.....at least with the car mfrs I worked with, handling warranty issues....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:29 PM   #11
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Quote:
And they probably are. Problem is, you start clipping the amp when you turn one up all the way, then you're sending distortion to the speaker, which shreds the voice coil.

That's pretty basic stereo knowledge. Never turn one up all the way, and turn it down if you hear distortion that's not meant to be there.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #12
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedEnergy View Post
I blew my left front lower speaker (driver door)...never had volume above 35, most of the time its at 22 to 30. It happened after my warranty had expired and I was even contemplating getting the extended warranty. So now it pops at anything with a lot of bass and the volume above like 23. So I have to turn the bass all the way down to like -3 on the EQ to be able to get more volume.

Just thought I would share, as you can see it is very possible to blow the damn speaker even under normal conditions.
Holy crap. Are you deaf or have hearing problems?

Mine never goes above 14 because above that is just too loud for everyday use, most of the time it's at 12 or 13. The db's that is put out at 20+ doesn't fall under normal use. No wonder your speaker blew.

Quote:
Just because something "can" do something, doesn't mean that it can maintain it and do it often enough, it will break. You car can run at 6.5k rpms but if you drive it like that too much eventually you will need a new engine. It's the same thing with speakers.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #13
wheelio
Banned

Can anyone provide a reputable source to back up their claims?
Old 08-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #14
jkchambless
Austin LT

I understand and am not disputing that on most stereos there is inherent distortion at the top of the range that can cause speaker problems. My issue is saying that the bumper to bumper warranty won't cover a "blown" speaker unless I lie about it. That and the fact that some people answer questions as if they are experts about a particular subject and not just giving an opinion. If I am on the wrong side of this, well, it's just my turn to be an a$$h0l3.