Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-09-2014, 08:33 PM   #15
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
And that, OP , proves that even the best Suds , eventually will give up
Just a mater of time , next time , bring with you some Blue pill
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:41 PM   #16
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
And that OP , proves that even the best Suds , eventually will give up
Just a mater of time , next time , bring with you some Blue pill
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:53 PM   #17
Brandonmos

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
thankgod for no " YOU DESERVE TO DIE FOR SPEEDING" posts lol
Old 08-09-2014, 10:58 PM   #18
notmidlife

Drives: 2014 Camaro LS
Really glad that you are okay ! I have worked on tractor trailers for over 25 years and have worked with wheel studs & nuts for years. The press that wheels coming off has received has caused our industry to turn up our game. Very likely that your wheel studs were over torqued or were run too loose. Steel wheel studs with aluminum wheels also have their own challenge over time.

What I have learned and would suggest to all;
-buy and use a good quality torque wrench
-learn how to properly torque wrench ( set, use, back off to zero after use. leaving a torque wrench loaded during storage will ruin calibration)
-learn to properly torque wheel nuts- ( just clicking the wrench after installing them with a gun is not torquing, it's just verifying minimum torque. Run the lug nuts up to 75% and finish with torque wrench.
-NEVER just change one broken wheel stud. ( on a ten stud wheel we will change one either side of the broken one for a total of 3.) For the cost of car wheel studs it would make sense to change all 5 if you break one.

If I have a shop take the tires on and off any of my cars I specify to the shop that I want my wheels torqued to 10 foot pounds less than is required. I specify the number, most automotive mechanics either don't know the torque spec or just use an impact gun. I will then torque the wheel nuts/lugs in their parking lot before I leave. If my torque wrench does not move the nuts-go back in and raise hell. I found some on my 2000 Impala that needed 160 lbs before my torque wrench would move....Showed the service manager and they replaced all 20, including lug nuts the next day. This may sound anal, but the dealership know to only use a torque wrench on any car I have brought in for the last 10 years. Sorry for the long post but this matter can be very serious as the OP stated. Be safe everyone.
notmidlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:15 PM   #19
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthpanda View Post
You don't hesitate to bring up that argument frequently, do ya?
No... not when I feel it's relevant to the conversation.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:47 PM   #20
Stealthpanda
Thread Ender

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
No... not when I feel it's relevant to the conversation.
Fair enough.
Stealthpanda is offline   Reply With Quote