Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #43
cmb74656

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM/BLI A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnighter View Post
There are many cobbwebs under my Camaro. I found a couple of black widows too. I guess now I am realizing that driving it would be best.
Aren't we supposed to call them African American widows now?

Quote:
It's a "hardtop" vert version that nobody else has ever heard of...
Grafted from a G6 no doubt.

MODS: RX Performance catch can, Jegs CAI, ZL1 grille, chrome license plate frame, GM locking gas cap, Defender Worx chrome DRL bezels, GM molded splash guards, Oracle LED side markers, DRLs, tag lights and reverse lamps, Technostalgia Rapid Fire tail lamps, Vitesse shift paddle extenders, MBRP cat back.
FUTURE: long tube headers, front splitter, slotted/drilled rotors, leather console and e-brake handle boot, remote fuel door and rear seat release, sway bars and bushings.
WISH LIST: Edelbrock E-Force SC, LS3 conversion
cmb74656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:21 PM   #44
SteelCamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
You won't towel dry it ,but you wax it after every time you wash it. That would be harder on the paint then using a good microfiber to dry it. It's also a huge waste of product and time.
My thoughts also. I wash mine fairly often and dry it using a towel (made for drying a car) every time. After 1.5 years of ownership, there are no swirls. It's not a matter of A towel, it's a matter of the RIGHT towel. Besides, a leaf blower could be just as bad. Particles thrown at the car could cause pitting/scratching over time.

I also agree with the people who said these cars are meant to be enjoyed. I'm all for keeping your car clean and in nice shape, but at the same time they aren't museum pieces. Drive them how they were meant to be driven!
SteelCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #45
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb74656 View Post
Aren't we supposed to call them African American widows now?
I call them evil hoes! They eat their hubby's head for dinner on my LS3 engine cover
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:35 PM   #46
LIyellowSS

Drives: 2012 SS, had 1995 Z28
I bought my car after an incident at work where I almost didn't come home. I said holy $hit time to enjoy life, and that means cruising around in the camaro, driving it to work and not worrying about the petty dirt. You may be gone tomorrow and your family and friends will admire how you worried about your camaro and how neat and clean you kept it in the garage, and how anal he was when it rained. They'll sell the car and the next guy will appreciate how we'll you kept it for him as he's cruising around town. Dude go out and enjoy life, your car! Wash it a few times a week, but enjoy it.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #47
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIyellowSS View Post
I bought my car after an incident at work where I almost didn't come home. I said holy $hit time to enjoy life, and that means cruising around in the camaro, driving it to work and not worrying about the petty dirt. You may be gone tomorrow and your family and friends will admire how you worried about your camaro and how neat and clean you kept it in the garage, and how anal he was when it rained. They'll sell the car and the next guy will appreciate how we'll you kept it for him as he's cruising around town. Dude go out and enjoy life, your car! Wash it a few times a week, but enjoy it.

Those of us that have had a life altering experience now realize what is truly important.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #48
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Hell, I thought a "Vert" referred to the Anniversary thing. See, I'm not anal enough to even know that. Tough crowd here. I guess it's perfectly ok and 'sane' to spend thousands of $ on mods that will only bring YOU pleasure (much like a clean car might?) and do nothing for resale - unless you just happen to find someone interested in those specific mods.

But keeping it clean and polished is somehow psychotic? Ok, maybe, but I did stop beating my wife and kicking the dog when I bought a Camaro.

I submit my showroom-condition car will have more appeal at sale time than many of the expensive add-ons I read about here placed on a car with swirled paint and a "rode hard" complexion. And I'm only out soap, wax and micro-rags!

But I also see I'm not alone!
Moto-Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:14 PM   #49
Moto-Mojo

Oh, but I must point out that I don't keep it that way solely for resale value, cars are a lousy investment, period. I do it because 'man will always do what brings him the most pleasure.' And that applies to all of life, my friends!
Old 08-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #50
midnighter
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
Hell, I thought a "Vert" referred to the Anniversary thing. See, I'm not anal enough to even know that. Tough crowd here. I guess it's perfectly ok and 'sane' to spend thousands of $ on mods that will only bring YOU pleasure (much like a clean car might?) and do nothing for resale - unless you just happen to find someone interested in those specific mods.

But keeping it clean and polished is somehow psychotic? Ok, maybe, but I did stop beating my wife and kicking the dog when I bought a Camaro.

I submit my showroom-condition car will have more appeal at sale time than many of the expensive add-ons I read about here placed on a car with swirled paint and a "rode hard" complexion. And I'm only out soap, wax and micro-rags!

But I also see I'm not alone!
No worries man, at least you never had to post in the bad 5th bow threads.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #51
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

I didn't buy my car thinking of the next owner. Or how much I will be able to get for it if I sell it. I bought mine to drive and enjoy. I couldn't give a rats ass about the next owner. You never know when your health will leave you. The big guy upstairs may call your number at any time. I have better things to do with my car than spending hundreds of hours keeping it pristine for just to save a few hundred dollars at trade in time.
The enjoyment I get out of my car driving it is worth millions to me.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:21 PM   #52
midnighter
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I didn't buy my car thinking of the next owner. Or how much I will be able to get for it if I sell it. I bought mine to drive and enjoy. I couldn't give a rats ass about the next owner. You never know when your health will leave you. The big guy upstairs may call your number at any time. I have better things to do with my car than spending hundreds of hours keeping it pristine for just to save a few hundred dollars at trade in time.
The enjoyment I get out of my car driving it is worth millions to me.
Looking at how clean your car looks, I wouldn't be able to tell that you don't spend a lot of time keeping it pristine....but you are right. All we have is today, so let's live it to the fullest. If we wake up again tomorrow, do again.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #53
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Looking at how clean your car looks, I wouldn't be able to tell that you don't spend a lot of time keeping it pristine....but you are right. All we have is today, so let's live it to the fullest. If we wake up again tomorrow, do again.
LOL, believe me I bet my car gets washed less than 90% of the cars on here. But mine also stays outside 24/7. So it's much more difficult keeping it as clean as a garage queen would be. It may have swirl marks but Damn I am having a lot of fun with it. And isn't that the point if these cars in the first place?
Old 08-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #54
Moto-Mojo

I just vacuumed the family room and wiped down the granite. I'm one sick bastard! Seriously, I do enjoy driving it as well. I'm taking 'er to Home Depot in minute...and parking 3/4 mile away.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:20 PM   #55
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
OP, you sure do take crappy care of your car. You should be ashamed. My car has never been driven with anyone in the car NOT in a full protective and breathable body suit. And every time I drive my car, I immediately wash it, wax it, check the tire pressure, fill it back up with gas, change all fluids, and do a full interior detail. I hired a professional security company to stand post around my car at all times to protect it. But they aren't allowed within 10 ft of the car. And I even made an arrangement with mother nature that she cannot blow wind at more than 10 mph over my car at any time without giving me at least a weeks notice. And I don't even let anyone look at me car without wearing sunglassses...I wouldn't want their stares and eyebeams to damage it.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #56
SteelCamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
I just vacuumed the family room and wiped down the granite. I'm one sick bastard! Seriously, I do enjoy driving it as well. I'm taking 'er to Home Depot in minute...and parking 3/4 mile away.
It's not wrong to want to keep the things you own clean and in nice condition. It's just that there's a certain point, at least in my opinion, when someone shouldn't care as much about some dirt here or there and just have fun. You'll drive yourself crazy obsessing over those things.
SteelCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote