Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-14-2016, 08:25 PM   #1
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
Stumped

13 1LE 10k stored indoors, never winter driven. No mods, completely stock, never tampered..no accidents.

Started up fine drove for a day..30 miles. Service Power steering shows on DIC, can't turn for s**t..then steering comes back..did this 5 times over 4 days. Now that power steering hasn't replicated since day 5. After the 5th day, click chatter like your typical low battery charge or a bad cell or bad grounding... try again...same thing...try again...same thing...try starting again..success. when this is going on..DIC shows roll down driver and passenger windows..indexing issue. did this 20 times or so since the 6th day. Checked terminal connectors, tight and clean. Pulled battery, load test and good. Ran my $600 Snap On charger on battery for an hour..still clicking..check terminals again.

So...now I am watching my voltage from inside. Ignition on accessory only 12.5 confirmed with digital gauge. click click click...no start. Put battery charger on high with battery in car. for 5 mins...jumps to 15.5 or so no start....click click click.

Get the car started, watch voltage...starts off at 12 to 13..very slowly and gradually makes it up to 15. All electrical stuff is off..when I turn on the halos, voltage drops from 15 or so down to just above 12 and doesn't move. Switch to regular headlights..voltage gradually climbs to 15.

Easy answer is taking to dealer and spending however many days in the shop.

Any other issues or suggestions I could look for? Ground to fender looks fine.
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:47 PM   #2
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Found my problem! Thanks for the help! 13mm positive battery cable post bolt..drivers side under hood. Came loose after 9800 miles..after a trip to dealer and new battery..still did it. Came home and reverse engineered. Bolt was loose to the point of intermittent contact.

Tightened up 3 turns..starts like a champ!

Thanks again!
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Old 04-26-2016, 09:34 PM   #3
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Did the bolt leave the factory without being properly tightened or do you think this was caused by someone else?
If this is a factory problem this thread should help others that may run in to this same type problem, good you posted your findings.
Ron
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:39 AM   #4
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

I have done NO mods to the car...never had to jump it...never tinkered under hood but to detail and paint valve covers.

That being said...I have heard and read many others having the same issues as me...but no answers. I would say that it had to come loose over the past 3 years somehow. I can honestly say I didn't screw with it...nor has it been in for service for anything. I do my own oil...and that's been it.

So...I would say these bolts are backing out somehow. I dabbed a bead of Loctite red on the last 2 threads...so should be set.