Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-09-2011, 06:07 PM   #365
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously

It will be mine. Oh yes. It will be mine.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:22 PM   #366
dmax86

Drives: 2016 Z06 C7R
$$$$?????
Old 02-09-2011, 06:26 PM   #367
dmax86

Drives: 2016 Z06 C7R
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggyB22 View Post
SS vs GT
ZL1 vs GT500
Z28 vs BOSS 302

Couldn't agree more.... This should be interesting. GM keeps throwing a curve ball at us!

+1
Old 02-09-2011, 06:28 PM   #368
kidddogbites

Drives: 2001 Camaro SS(not Z28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam#7 View Post
I'm liking the interior trim from what you can tell from these pictures

If it's not going to be called the Z-28, the ZL1 name is a good choice.

I think the front-end will have mixed reviews.

Should be able to out perform any factory production pony car; present or past.
exept mabey the original zl1 that where running in high 10's with no mods but slicks and stright headers but it will kill the shelby and the boss 302!!!!
kidddogbites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:36 PM   #369
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Curb Weight:

CTS 3.6 = 3860
CTS-V = 4220, or 360 more

Camaro 2LT = 3741
Camaro ZL1 = 4101?
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:38 PM   #370
ps-gunkie

Drives: Nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
Edit: I did ask about the weight twice but my question was filtered an ignored..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
What someone really should have asked is "whats with the Elton John sunglasses we've seen on the rear end of a few of those test mules?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I asked a lot of technical questions you guys were probably asking, too, that didn't show up
I asked 4 questions and none of them showed up :(. At least one was answered because someone else asked it as well, about the 4 fog lights (which end up being only 2 fog lights apparently).

I was curious about the sunglasses-taillights and elephant ear-mirrors and a possible release to other markets (like here in Europe), I've been waiting ever since it was released for a confirmation that they'll sell it out here as well. Figured I'd just ask if the ZL1 would ever make it over here as well. Oh well, guess I could always import an American ZL1 without ugly taillights and mirrors and just have it fixed up to be street-legal out here .

I was also wondering about the halos being blue in the images released by GM. I thought blue or red lights on cars were reserved to police and other emergency services? Figured it might just be an upgraded version of the original halos with funky new super-bright light they wanted to show off.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:07 PM   #371
Tysen

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS M6
I got 3 questions answered, but I had to change my username for each.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:21 PM   #372
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Things I like:
I like the heat extracting hood, although it isn't as aggressive as the race version of the CTS-V it still looks pretty cool. I am a big fan of extractor type hoods and believe they are our generation's popular hood scoops. There are so many advantages to a heat extractor over any other type of scoop design.

I also like the carbon fiber insert, I know it doesn't save alot of weight but it is a great way to save a couple pounds. I don't think the cost would have been much more if it was full carbon fiber but 50/50 works.

The 305's in the rear will really help, I don't like the fact that the tire size is staggered but this is meant for drag racing and the 305's will help alot. The staggered tires and heavy nose will most likely cause major oversteer but straight line performance will show.

Its good to see the ZL1 with large front grille areas for easy access to the heat exchanger. Placement of the extractor looks perfect and should maximize airflow for cooling.

Things I don't like:
I'm not crazy about the cars looks, The front of the car pretty much remains the same as the SS and im not positive that people will be eager to buy a car that looks like everything else.

The interior isn't bad, but suede on the dash and steering wheel among other things is alittle too much. Suede gets dirty fast..

The wheels got to go, they look out of place on the car. I'm not crazy about staggering the wheels either but it works on the GT500, but its much easier to rotate a LRA than an IRS.

I think the MRC will balance the Camaro out pretty well and honestly, if this car is going to weight what I think it is.. Its a good thing MRC comes with it..

Last edited by thePill; 02-09-2011 at 09:30 PM.
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:23 PM   #373
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
I'm at a bit of a loss over this whole thing. First of all..........its beautiful.

However, there is some confusion over the name sharing. I think it could've been handled better. SLP has a double platinum zl1 version out now (albeit high priced), and their established zl 585s are putting out unbelievable performance numbers.

And then we have chevrolet's version of the zl1, with the caddy's lsa. While the lsa's performance in the cadillac is great, it doesn't come near the zl585's performance numbers and its probably hundreds of miles away from slp zl1's numbers. Thus on paper (at the lsa's current rating) it is a bit of a disappointment.

I feel that the only way this car can shine is to be competitively priced to the gt500....that is that it should be priced in the mid to upper 40's and have comparable performance numbers. Anything over 50g and you have to beg the question.....of whether it is worth the price given the existing zl585 that starts at 57.

Dunno....I may eventually grow into it. I was kind of expecting a z28 revival.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:26 PM   #374
boltmark
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2 SS/RS IOM Camaro
So much for the so called experts here that laugh when I say the car we was seeing at the test site was not the Z28. Well?
boltmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:35 PM   #375
jose2LTRS

Drives: 2LTRS, 05 Lacrosse
Not sure if this was asked/mentioned before.... But any chance of those interior updates/rear view camera making into the V6 by the 2012 model?
jose2LTRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:36 PM   #376
oachalon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
A few things:

1. When can i get the wheels for my camaro, i love them
2. I hope to god that boost gauge will accept a vaccum from my e-force. I have a 1SS and no gauge pack and have been waiting for a boost gauge that looks oem.
3. I wonder if the 3.73 gears in this car will be an easy swap.

The front end is not bad, wish it looked a little more like lenos car.
The magnetic ride control is neat, but i will have coilovers by the end of summer
I am already making more power, so thats not an issue.

I still like our current steering wheel.
oachalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:53 PM   #377
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
Beautiful on the outside...absolutely amazing, and even more power to back it up!!

A pet peeve of mine, however: GM has a twisted history when it comes to Camaro steering wheels, especially in the last 25 years. The rectangle-center wheel in the 3rd gen was interesting--but a lot of people hated it. There was a 3-spoke design for the IROC/Z28 cars, which was fine. But then between 1990-1992, they went to this big, pillowy design. The airbag probably took up 85% of the space inside the wheel.

Then, along comes 1993, and the Camaro gets another pillow for a steering wheel. It was big, ugly, and it was shared with the Caprice and the Lumina APV.

Then, in 2000, the Camaro got yet another steering wheel. Also shared with the Lumina, various Buicks, and a few Pontiac products...It was slightly better than the rest, but still very 'corporate' as it was shared with so many vehicles.

Finally, 2010 rolls around and the Camaro gets its own steering wheel again. It's not a bad design at all, big 3 spokes, very unique in that quirky "this is Camaro styling" kind of way, just like the rectangle steering wheel center from the 3rd gens. I cracked a smile when I first saw it.

..And in 2012...The Camaro gets the 'corporate' steering wheel again, which, IMHO, belongs in the Cruze, Malibu, a Honda Accord, name another slow car, annnndddd, wait for it....the garbage!!!!

I remain twisted around the idea that part of the draw and pleasure of owning these cars is their unique features. I don't want the steering wheel to remind me that it's in every other GM product. The steering wheel is something special...it's right in front of you all the time!

My dad recalls with the first gens that, way back before airbags existed and were integrated into steering wheels, having a wooden racing wheel was an 'upgrade'. That goes to show that even 40+ years ago, people cared (and still do) about their steering wheel design. When I look at the new 2012 wheel, I think 'boring' ....
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:55 PM   #378
assasinator
1 n the head,2 n da chest

Drives: 2002 cadillac deville
chevrolet made the right choice calling it a ZL-1.

the z28 moniker needs to be reserved for the BOSS 302 competitor.
2011GT E85, Kooks 1-7/8", 3" offroad X, 2-7/8" overaxles, Roush mufflers, CobraJet intake, SCJ monoblade throttle body, drew 4.5" CAI, Boss302S exhaust valve springs, Baby CobraJet exhaust cams. 3.73 gears, lightweight 300A. 455rwhp @7800/410rwtq SAE 5000lb roller dynojet
assasinator is offline   Reply With Quote