Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Phastek Performance

Old 09-25-2017, 03:36 PM   #1
sureshshanmugam79

Drives: Summit White 1LT RS I4 M6
Ramps / Jack stands for oil changes?

Hi,

my 2.0 M6 will be hitting 4000 miles next week.
I have did one oil change around 2000 miles at the dealer.
I plan to change the differential fluid by then. Is changing transmission fluid also a good idea?

I have a hydraulic jack and jack stands the I use on my other cars.
Is ramp required to change to do Engine oil, transmission and differential fluids.
Does the car need to be leveled perfectly if I plan to change the differential and transmission fluids?

Thank you.

2016 1LT RS Summit White M6
10/2/2016 - 3 Miles on ODO - Delivered
11/1/2016 - All around light Black out kit from Phastek
11/15/2016 - OEM Splash guards and all weather mats from ShopChevyParts.com
12/16/16 - 977 Miles. Borla S-type Axleback

Planned - CAI Injen, hood wrap, Sema rocker stripes, Sema trunk balckout, Caliper Paint, Reverse LED
sureshshanmugam79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:51 PM   #2
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshshanmugam79 View Post
Hi,

my 2.0 M6 will be hitting 4000 miles next week.
I have did one oil change around 2000 miles at the dealer.
I plan to change the differential fluid by then. Is changing transmission fluid also a good idea?

I have a hydraulic jack and jack stands the I use on my other cars.
Is ramp required to change to do Engine oil, transmission and differential fluids.
Does the car need to be leveled perfectly if I plan to change the differential and transmission fluids?

Thank you.

Well, assuming all things are similar, for maintenance purposes, the differential should be as close as possible to level. I backed down an a decline in my driveway onto race ramps. That gave me a nice level, allowing me to properly fill the diff. I used the race ramps for my first oil change, piece of cake ( I actually used a 5 gallon bucket to catch the oil). Race ramps are a cheap investment....you don't have to worry about a jack slipping or losing pressure.

As far as the transmission, I can only assume the car needs to be level. I'm curious as to how difficult it is to fully flush the fluid and refill.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:24 PM   #3
redwhiteandblue

Drives: 2018 ZL1
I made some with 2 x 12 lumber and they are very heavy! It makes oil change easier for sure and I already had 2 12ft long 2 x 12s! The bottom board is 48" long and then on top of that is a 36 ", then a 24 " then a 12". I get a little over 6 inches lift and screwed an end piece on the end so it stops the tire from going off the end. I beveled each board to make it easier to drive up. These prolly weigh 80lbs each though! I hope the 4 cyl doesn't take an hour to drain all the oil out like the V8! I over filled mine by a half quart thinking all the oil was drained out and then added the 10 qts. Plus you have to wait an hour after filling to make sure the level is right before adding more!
redwhiteandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:02 PM   #4
LtColumbo

Drives: 2017 1LT RS V6 A8, 2020 Fusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteandblue View Post
I made some with 2 x 12 lumber and they are very heavy! It makes oil change easier for sure and I already had 2 12ft long 2 x 12s! The bottom board is 48" long and then on top of that is a 36 ", then a 24 " then a 12". I get a little over 6 inches lift and screwed an end piece on the end so it stops the tire from going off the end. I beveled each board to make it easier to drive up. These prolly weigh 80lbs each though! I hope the 4 cyl doesn't take an hour to drain all the oil out like the V8! I over filled mine by a half quart thinking all the oil was drained out and then added the 10 qts. Plus you have to wait an hour after filling to make sure the level is right before adding more!
I have similar wooden ramps. I backed up on them to do some work under the rear. When I was through working, I got in the car, started it up, kept my foot on the brake, put the trans in gear, released the parking brake. I slightly released pressure on the brake pedal...and the rear of the car DROPPED! WTF?? The ramps shot out from under the tires and landed 6 feet behind the car!
LtColumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 01:08 PM   #5
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Hey OP, I bought and use these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

while they are pricey, believe me they will pay for themselves. Much safer and easier than stands, easier on the car too, as you're not putting literally a ton of stress on a pinch weld.

Ive used them for oil changes, diff fluid changes, and inspections, and they are in the same shape as the day I received them.

Oh, and they will not slide, grip for days lol.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:10 PM   #6
leadfoot93
Camaro Fan

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS Garnet Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtColumbo View Post
I have similar wooden ramps. I backed up on them to do some work under the rear. When I was through working, I got in the car, started it up, kept my foot on the brake, put the trans in gear, released the parking brake. I slightly released pressure on the brake pedal...and the rear of the car DROPPED! WTF?? The ramps shot out from under the tires and landed 6 feet behind the car!
Did you have the front wheels chocked?
3800 Status: 10/13/15 VIN #116519
4200 Status: 12/19/15
Delivered : 12/28/15
leadfoot93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 01:16 PM   #7
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
You have two choices if you go ramps;, if you want to take off the lower flexible plastic dams you can use any of the cheaper ramps on Amazon. I hate those flexible underpinnings, so I always take them off every car I own.

But if you want to leave the car stock, it’ll take the raceramps like the link above.

My ramps and install of a oil valve here:

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...light=Stahlbus

Last edited by Glen e; 09-26-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:58 PM   #8
Calcanuck

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 2SS
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
You have two choices if you go ramps;, if you want to take off the lower flexible plastic dams you can use any of the cheaper ramps on Amazon. I hate those flexible underpinnings, so I always take them off every car I own.

But if you want to leave the car stock, it’ll take the raceramps like the link above.

My ramps and install of a oil valve here:

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...light=Stahlbus
Old 09-26-2017, 09:41 PM   #9
LtColumbo

Drives: 2017 1LT RS V6 A8, 2020 Fusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot93 View Post
Did you have the front wheels chocked?
I was driving forward off the ramps under the rear tires.
LtColumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:23 PM   #10
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtColumbo View Post
I was driving forward off the ramps under the rear tires.
The smooth surface of the wood slid out, try coating your ramps with POR 15 RUBBERIZED COATING, It would give similar properties to my race ramps, helping prevent slippage.