Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 09-24-2017, 08:45 PM   #169
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCamaro444 View Post
You're trying hard, but you're still wrong...
It's not a sports car. The Corvette is a sports car. You want a sports car, then buy a Corvette. Plain and simple.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:39 PM   #170
JoeCamaro444

Drives: 2018 2SS M6 Hot Wheels Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
It's not a sports car. The Corvette is a sports car. You want a sports car, then buy a Corvette. Plain and simple.
Ok
1988 IROC-Z (tons of mods), 1995 Z28, 1998 Z28, 2006 GTO, 2010 Camaro 1SS, 2015 Subaru STI, a couple Acuras and multiple Jeeps.
JoeCamaro444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:41 PM   #171
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
this question really gets folks going.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:44 AM   #172
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I've given up. I frankly hold to the "historic" definitions but I get why people want to identify with one or the other. But how can it be both?
Good question.

Exactly why the Grand Touring tag is a better 'fit' than either. It implies having power plus handling without being bare-bones minimalist.

With the performance capabilities that these cars have, why aren't we calling them exotics? The sixxer performs at the original Countach level (or better) in every respect other than top speed (which the SS essentially matches and the ZL1 blows away).

Or has the term 'exotic' been granted immunity from being morphed by Polk and the rest of those entities who claim to be The-Ultimate-Authorities-On-Automotive-Category-Naming?

Norm
Old 09-25-2017, 09:40 AM   #173
gringo
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Good question.

Exactly why the Grand Touring tag is a better 'fit' than either. It implies having power plus handling without being bare-bones minimalist.

With the performance capabilities that these cars have, why aren't we calling them exotics? The sixxer performs at the original Countach level (or better) in every respect other than top speed (which the SS essentially matches and the ZL1 blows away).

Or has the term 'exotic' been granted immunity from being morphed by Polk and the rest of those entities who claim to be The-Ultimate-Authorities-On-Automotive-Category-Naming?

Norm
The type of category a particular vehicle represents is more than just the performance potential. Exotic cars typically have extreme sports car based designs and are designed/manufactured in far away exotic (to us) foreign lands like Italy, etc.

The new SS may completely blow away the original Lambo LP400 and the Ferrari 308 GTB in all performance metrics, but it will never have the panache or appeal those cars had (and still do) no matter how fast it is.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:20 AM   #174
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
You've just tripped over the poster-boy example for why the meaning of the term 'sports car' needs to be left as close to its original meaning as possible.

4DSC has been a joke among those who actually owned Maximas since the day the tag was first used (the one in my sig is our second, they're not bad at all as FWD sedans but by no stretch of the imagination are they sports cars regardless of door count).

Norm
Tripped, or just pointing out that the term was bastardized so long ago (25+ years now), that its apparent it's not going to be changed back to the glory days.
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:10 AM   #175
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
The type of category a particular vehicle represents is more than just the performance potential. Exotic cars typically have extreme sports car based designs and are designed/manufactured in far away exotic (to us) foreign lands like Italy, etc.

The new SS may completely blow away the original Lambo LP400 and the Ferrari 308 GTB in all performance metrics, but it will never have the panache or appeal those cars had (and still do) no matter how fast it is.
So it's OK to dip into the subjectives bag when it suits a person's opinion, but not when it would oppose that position??? I'm not looking at you personally here.

People here and elsewhere tend to look down their noses at such "girly cars" as the Miata . . . and yet they want to identify their Camaros/Mustangs as fitting into that same category? The appeal is certainly different. A Caterham has a panache unlike almost any other (albeit limited) production street-legal car, and I doubt anybody is ever going to call the descendant of a mish-mash of Lotus's 6 and 11 designs 'exotic'.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 09-25-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:18 AM   #176
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1FTY View Post
Tripped, or just pointing out that the term was bastardized so long ago (25+ years now
However you want to describe it, it was flat-out wrong and is a pretty darn good argument for denying wider applicability of the 'sports car' term.

At best, 4DSS (4 door sport sedan) - a lot closer to the truth and still overstated.

Norm
Old 09-25-2017, 03:28 PM   #177
gringo
Account Suspended

Quote:
So it's OK to dip into the subjectives bag when it suits a person's opinion, but not when it would oppose that position??? I'm not looking at you personally here.
Well, I think there can be some exceptions to the rule especially when referring to those legendary models.

Quote:
People here and elsewhere tend to look down their noses at such "girly cars" as the Miata . . . and yet they want to identify their Camaros/Mustangs as fitting into that same category? The appeal is certainly different. A Caterham has a panache unlike almost any other (albeit limited) production street-legal car, and I doubt anybody is ever going to call the descendant of a mish-mash of Lotus's 6 and 11 designs 'exotic'.

Norm
That's true. I guess it goes back to the original premise that a sportscar is actually more than the sum of its parts, in many ways. Sure, it has to have only two seats (in my opinion at least), but other factors that determine that definition would have to come together in just the right amounts.

The fact that the Camaro and Mustang now have performance rivaling that of past sports cars and exotics, still does not mean that they are now "sports cars" or "exotic cars".

Last edited by gringo; 09-25-2017 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:22 AM   #178
Rusty35

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:

So can Italians call camaros "exotic"?
Rusty35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:39 AM   #179
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty35 View Post
So can Italians call camaros "exotic"?
Lol
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:43 AM   #180
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
I guess everybody's got their own opinion on this. For me this is the third straight generation of Camaro that I've owned. The 4th gen was an unruly Beast. You treated her nice or she would throw you into a ditch. Now I had a stripper model of that F body. So it truly was a muscle car

The 5th gen was a nice big car it was a good family Cruiser for me. To me it felt more like a sedan than anything else. It was huge and it had a nice ride. And it was super comfortable I had to throw an editing to come back and put that got to give credit where it's due

The 6th gen is smaller inside than either of the other cars. I had more into your room in the F body then I have in the alpha platform.

The thing about the 6th gen that makes me consider it a sports car is how well at corners how well it can handle while on the road. It just feels like handling Wise It's So Much ahead of my older cars that I really can't compare it to them
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:56 AM   #181
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMadeYouReadThis View Post
The thing about the 6th gen that makes me consider it a sports car is how well at corners how well it can handle while on the road. It just feels like handling Wise It's So Much ahead of my older cars that I really can't compare it to them
So let me ask you this . . .

If Mazda was to suddenly upsize their Miata just a couple of inches here and a couple more there so they could fit a 3.5L V8 (and just for grins let's make that a pushrod V8 with a carburetor-looking throttle-body injection setup a la Holley's NASCAR Cup device sitting on top of it all) . . . would anybody here then start calling Miatas "muscle cars". It'd really be the same thing, just seen from a different perspective.

I'm fully aware of how far the Camaro and the Mustang have come as corner-carving cars since their humble beginnings. It's why I even own the car in my sig; I'm really a sports car guy at heart, just with a preference for more power than what most of the traditional sports cars ever offered.

If 50 years ago you'd told me that some day the Camaros would be crowding 1g in the corners straight off the production line (and exceeding that in some trims) I'd have accused your imagination of being aided by some sort of illegal chemistry. But here we are, with the capabilities having changed very much for the better . . . in cars that really haven't changed all that much otherwise as cars meant to be driven.

Norm
Old 09-26-2017, 11:56 AM   #182
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
So let me ask you this . . .

If Mazda was to suddenly upsize their Miata just a couple of inches here and a couple more there so they could fit a 3.5L V8 (and just for grins let's make that a pushrod V8 with a carburetor-looking throttle-body injection setup a la Holley's NASCAR Cup device sitting on top of it all) . . . would anybody here then start calling Miatas "muscle cars". It'd really be the same thing, just seen from a different perspective.

I'm fully aware of how far the Camaro and the Mustang have come as corner-carving cars since their humble beginnings. It's why I even own the car in my sig; I'm really a sports car guy at heart, just with a preference for more power than what most of the traditional sports cars ever offered.

If 50 years ago you'd told me that some day the Camaros would be crowding 1g in the corners straight off the production line (and exceeding that in some trims) I'd have accused your imagination of being aided by some sort of illegal chemistry. But here we are, with the capabilities having changed very much for the better . . . in cars that really haven't changed all that much otherwise as cars meant to be driven.

Norm
So, now we are reduced to considering contrived hypotheticals vs what manufacturers actually are telling the press what the cars they make are. Seems normal.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote