Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-25-2017, 02:46 PM   #15
Ecchi667

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, 6spd M
I've always liked an EBC setup for road and track. Yellow Stuff most specifically, although Red Stuff was fine on my S13 (it's not exactly a heavy car, though). They do need to be paired with grooved/slotted rotors, though, which EBC do not currently offer for the 6th gen. I had them paired with Black Diamond rotors on my S13 which worked great, so I'd assume any decent slotted rotors will do. I ran Yellow Stuff with EBC rotors on a Renault Clio 172 Cup and an Eagle Talon TSi AWD, all with stock calipers. Different and lighter cars than the 6th gen, but I can't imagine that matters as I'm sure the brakes are bigger on the Camaro to compensate. In fact, I felt the brakes on the heavier Talon were even better than on the lighter Clio anyway, although the Clio did have a ridiculous front brake bias which could also explain that (it's the only fwd car I've ever spun).

So... unless you feel six pots are absolutely necessary, I wonder if trying harder biting pads and better rotors would be a better first step, saving both money and weight/rotational mass? It would appear that upgrading the braking fluid is also a must-do for track from what I've read. I've only pushed the Camaro on autocross which I felt the stock brakes were fine for, so I can't really speak from extensive track experience with the Camaro unfortunately - yet. Hopefully next year, and with any luck EBC will have a complete kit available by then!
Ecchi667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 02:51 PM   #16
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Ed View Post
PolynesianPowerhouse: Your input is always helpful in this area, but there is one point that I struggle with; that is the comment from the SCCA builder that states that "...the 6 piston package but it carried a 100# weight penalty." I find it hard to believe that there is a 100# weight differential between the 6 piston and the 4 piston. Perhaps 10#, but not 100#. I wonder what he was really meaning there. Is it a dead weight add-on requirement?

All of the comments so far are giving me much better insight and will help in making a purchase decision. I'm one of those that believes that brake upgrades are mandatory when you do a big power increase. With the E-Force supercharger installed, a brake upgrade just seems to be the right thing to do.
With SCCA, NASA, and other racing groups, if you add optional or non-OEM components, you typically incur a penalty (if the class is based on a power-to-weight ratio). So, if he were to add the optional 6 piston brakes, he would have to weigh 100 lbs more (or make less power).
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 06:02 PM   #17
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Ed View Post
PolynesianPowerhouse: Your input is always helpful in this area, but there is one point that I struggle with; that is the comment from the SCCA builder that states that "...the 6 piston package but it carried a 100# weight penalty." I find it hard to believe that there is a 100# weight differential between the 6 piston and the 4 piston. Perhaps 10#, but not 100#. I wonder what he was really meaning there. Is it a dead weight add-on requirement?

All of the comments so far are giving me much better insight and will help in making a purchase decision. I'm one of those that believes that brake upgrades are mandatory when you do a big power increase. With the E-Force supercharger installed, a brake upgrade just seems to be the right thing to do.
oh no, its not like they are 100 lbs in actual weight difference. in class racing, especially wheel to wheel. they have things that make it "more fair" to other cars in the class.

for example BOP stands for Balance of Power. the corvettes and Zl1 GT4's come with about 650hp/tq if you go to a dealer and buy one. but for the racing series IMSA and GTS/GTSA, they run with engines that have about high 400's for power numbers and are naturally aspirated.

with the brakes, if you run the 6 piston brakes, which offer more rotor size, a bigger heat sink in its basicness... then its an advantage, so you physically have to ADD 100lbs of ballast weight somewhere inside the car. so your car will physically be heavier overall, but the weight slows you down, makes it more fair to lets say a lesser suspension car.

same thing as nascar does with restrictor plates to even the field and keep the racing competitive.

and yes, I do agree as well, if you add power, suspension and brakes should be in the equation. honestly, if you plan to just go fast, minimal brake upgrades should be on the table. as we were taught in football, speed doesn't kill...impact does. stopping is a good thing in cars

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote