Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

AWE Tuning

Old 03-20-2018, 10:04 AM   #183
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
If it were RPM's and the engines that make the difference, then the Mustang would win the 1/4 mile as well. After first gear, both the Mustang and Camaro are in the meat of their respective power bands.

Lesson1: 1/4 mile trap speeds are directly proportional to power to weight ratio.
Lesson2: In a 1 mile race, AFTER the first 1/4 mile, the top speed is directly proportional to power to aerodynamic drag ratio.

Since both cars have nearly identical power ratings, it can easily be deduced that the Mustang has a lower coefficient of drag than the Camaro. It has NOTHING to do with the engine. Gear ratios have a say in all this as well, but it definitely is NOT the engine. It's just that the Mustang has less aerodynamic drag.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:54 AM   #184
GuywithL86

Drives: Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
Nobody is saying the 5.0 is shit as far as I'm aware. Point is there is a difference in gearing on the top end and it's not 8mph faster in 1 mile simply because of engine. Look at at the gearing.
I don’t think so either, yeah camaro was definitely impeded by the gearing past 135mph. Doubtful its reason for the entire 8mph though. Mustang would maybe be 3-4mph faster without the gear advantage from 135-155
GuywithL86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:03 AM   #185
GuywithL86

Drives: Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
If it were RPM's and the engines that make the difference, then the Mustang would win the 1/4 mile as well. After first gear, both the Mustang and Camaro are in the meat of their respective power bands.

Lesson1: 1/4 mile trap speeds are directly proportional to power to weight ratio.
Lesson2: In a 1 mile race, AFTER the first 1/4 mile, the top speed is directly proportional to power to aerodynamic drag ratio.

Since both cars have nearly identical power ratings, it can easily be deduced that the Mustang has a lower coefficient of drag than the Camaro. It has NOTHING to do with the engine. Gear ratios have a say in all this as well, but it definitely is NOT the engine. It's just that the Mustang has less aerodynamic drag.
Eh

They run nearly identical 1/4 mile times yet the camaro crushes it on the launch. Seriously drive them, the camaro hooks up sooooo much better, and it has absurd low end power to take advantage of it.

Also in these vehicles, i’d say aero doesn’t play much of a roll until 150ish. Most cars with tons of downforce don’t really suffer in high speed acceleration until 150-160ish, then it falls off a cliff.
GuywithL86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:20 AM   #186
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuywithL86 View Post
I dont think anybody is saying the mustang is a better car, it’s just got a helluva motor. Infact as a mustang owner, I think compared to the camaro the mustang is a big hunk of shit. It just has an amazing motor. The coyote would be at home in something like an m3.
+1 to everything you just said!!!

Give me an Alpha Chassis with a Coyote in it any day. GM's current engine offerings is BORING.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:45 AM   #187
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuywithL86 View Post
Eh

They run nearly identical 1/4 mile times yet the camaro crushes it on the launch. Seriously drive them, the camaro hooks up sooooo much better, and it has absurd low end power to take advantage of it.

Also in these vehicles, i’d say aero doesn’t play much of a roll until 150ish. Most cars with tons of downforce don’t really suffer in high speed acceleration until 150-160ish, then it falls off a cliff.
I haven't driven a 2018, but I understand that they fixed the hooking up issue. The numbers seem to agree as well because the 0-60 times have been greatly improved, and pretty close to the Camaro.

Also remember that you don't need any downforce to have drag (but most of the time, creating downforce does increase drag, but not always). And drag increases with the square of the speed. So at 100MPH you have four times as much drag as 50MPH, and 150MPH has nine times as much. So, as you start to get to higher speeds, drag becomes the determining factor. Just as an illustration, take your car on the highway on a flat straight piece of road, set the cruse control to 55MPH and watch your instantaneous MPG's. Then bump up the speed in 5MPH increments and watch what happens to the MPG's. That's all drag.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:50 AM   #188
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Meh, give me the grunt down low. If I wanted a to rev high for torque, I'd buy any one of the turboed compacts with lawn mower engines. V8 muscle should be about brute force off the line, not ricer flybys. Plus, right now, I'd trust the Lt1 to hold together better than the Coyote.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:06 PM   #189
whiteboyblues2001

I have nothing against the Coyote, I think it's a fine engine. Love the dual injection (helps with valve gunk, and makes it easier to go high HP with mods).

But the win in the 1 mile race in the Motor Trend article is due to HP/Drag ratio. A 5 HP difference is not enough. It doesn't matter where you make the power, so long as you can adjust the gear selection to be in the meat of the power band, there is no difference. None.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:31 PM   #190
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
It is moot in a venue under a 1/4 mile, after that the extended power-band is an advantage.
Has the GT had a 1/4 mile win against the Camaro in any comparison? I think not...

Quote:
Believe me I have always been a low rpm high horsepower and torque proponent until I purchased my Boss, now I realize the advantage of being able to pull the shifter at 7300-rpms and the car pulling harder and harder right up to that line. Folks who have tuned and bumped the rpm limit up say the car will continue pulling to 7800-rpms even harder.

My Boss gives up hp and 70-lbs of torque to a new manual SS, yet according to reviews it will run 0-60 in under 4 seconds and run right with the manual Camaro in the 1/4. Likely pulling on it after the 1/4 mile is over why is that?
I can appreciate that on a road course, where you can keep the rpms above 4,000, the coyote would be a hoot. However, you literally have to beat the piss out of the engine to get any joy from it and that's not conducive with the environment on my ride to work. You feel the intensity of LT1 in your gut with minimal effort.

You're the first guy to mock the Aplha Camaro's handling advantage as unusable by "most people" on the street. An advantage from 115 to 158 mph on the highway is way more unusable...in the real world.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:32 PM   #191
hotlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
Wow

I’m surprised it was even that close.

The SS is done after 135. It’s in highway gear after that. GT is perfectly matched to that race and ended at 158 at the top of 5th.

Like I said weeks ago. Congrats the GT can beat an SS rolling in highway gear. Impressive !

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
Old 03-20-2018, 12:44 PM   #192
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
Has the GT had a 1/4 mile win against the Camaro in any comparison? I think not...

I can appreciate that on a road course, where you can keep the rpms above 4,000, the coyote would be a hoot. However, you literally have to beat the piss out of the engine to get any joy from it and that's not conducive with the environment on my ride to work. You feel the intensity of LT1 in your gut with minimal effort.

You're the first guy to mock the Aplha Camaro's handling advantage as unusable by "most people" on the street. An advantage from 115 to 158 mph on the highway is way more unusable...in the real world.
Yes but the Boss runs 0-60 under 4-seconds a tad quicker than the 2016+ SS manual, and quarter mile time of 12:30s also a tad quicker than a manual SS. So I don't understand your lack of intensity comment. Both cars pull really hard for n/a offerings and arrive at essentially the same numbers in the end with venues 1/4 mile or less. After that who knows as I don't think they have ever lined up.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:03 PM   #193
hotlap

Quote:
Yes but the Boss runs 0-60 under 4-seconds a tad quicker than the 2016+ SS manual, and quarter mile time of 12:30s also a tad quicker than a manual SS. So I don't understand your lack of intensity comment. Both cars pull really hard for n/a offerings and arrive at essentially the same numbers in the end with venues 1/4 mile or less. After that who knows as I don't think they have ever lined up.
Lets take a trip in the wayback machine... I thought we were talking about the GT.?.?.
Quote:
Yeah kinda like the SS being done at 6500 rpms, vs 7500 rpms for the GT. Bottom line is the GT seems to be trapping better mph in the 1/4 and it has been stated in review it walks away from the SS after the 1/4 mile. Pick your poison.

Ronald Reagan -
Old 03-20-2018, 02:12 PM   #194
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
+1 to everything you just said!!!

Give me an Alpha Chassis with a Coyote in it any day. GM's current engine offerings is BORING.
No thanks... I can understand the appeal...but too much effort to enjoy outside of the track...and I'd rather enjoy it all the time..
Old 03-20-2018, 02:18 PM   #195
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
And we're still talking about a car that cost almost 10-11 grand more than a standard SS.... so I mean, really?

And the Boss was essentially a 1LE Camaro....so it benefited from upgraded suspension and other things to boot. Granted, the new SS is essentially the old 1LE, so it is kind of a wash.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:45 PM   #196
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
And we're still talking about a car that cost almost 10-11 grand more than a standard SS.... so I mean, really?

And the Boss was essentially a 1LE Camaro....so it benefited from upgraded suspension and other things to boot. Granted, the new SS is essentially the old 1LE, so it is kind of a wash.
10 grand more than the base SS in 2012 or now?
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote