Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-18-2014, 02:24 PM   #71
KahunaSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
I would be sure to have the car fixed before I mess with the differential.

For the automatic usually a 3.73 is recommended because of the transmission gearing.
why is it better to go with the 3.73 instead of the 3.91? just asking.. i want to get the best out of my buck.. its my b-day tomorrow so I'm having my wife buy the parts and hopefully pay for the install!! i know more isn't better I'm just asking what would cons be if i went with the 3.91 vs the 3.73... I'm going with the gm made gear kit so it won't void the warranty.. then go from there with other goodies... I'm beginning to think the problem I'm having is the afm or the injectors.. but i will find out monday for sure.
KahunaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:26 PM   #72
KahunaSS

Quote:

For the automatic usually a 3.73 is recommended because of the transmission gearing.
Genuine GM - 2010-2014 Camaro SS 1LE 3.91 Gear Set

Features a GM OEM ring & pinion gear set for the 2010-2014 Camaro SS/1LE that were designed for long life and quiet operation. The manufacturing process used combined with a professional installation will insure quiet factory like operation of your differential unlike less expensive gears sets that often can cause gear whine even if they are installed correctly. The 3.91 ratio ring and pinion provides a 13% increase in effective rear wheel torque multiplication compared to the factory 3.45 ring & pinion (MT) and a 20% increase in effective rear wheel torque multiplication compared to the factory 3.23 ring & pinion that is found on the A6 equipped Camaro SS.

When cruising at 60 mph in 6th gear, a manual transmission vehicle will see an approximate increase in engine speed of 180 RPM or 13% increase while automatic transmission vehicles will see an approximate increase of 300 rpm or 20% increase.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:42 PM   #73
KahunaSS

Quote:

i guess gm doesn't make a 3.73.. they only make the 3.91 because its stock in the 1LE... I'm still trying to avoid losing warranty...
Old 07-18-2014, 02:48 PM   #74
Adam1LE

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Manual trans ZL1 has 3.73

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Adam1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:59 PM   #75
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1LE View Post
Manual trans ZL1 has 3.73

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And the automatic ZL1 has 3:23. The SS Camaro L99 has 3:27. The info of the 3:91 gear description posted by the op has the incorrect ratio listed for the SS Camaro auto tranny. Otherwise the OP should heed the ratio suggested by Comrando on the automatic for a better all round performance.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:15 PM   #76
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaSS View Post
I have been running premium since i have owned it.. I bought it with 15,000 miles on it.. since i have had it i haven't really tried to burn tires just speeding down the highway a bit.... She moves but now i noticed on a stand still i punch it and it hesitates a bit before taking off.. Even when holding down the button it still shows no improvement. Only time i can tell a difference is if i take a corner when i hit that button and the car fish tales.. so i know the TC and the other light is working properly.. Even in Competitive mode ( when you tap it 2 times on a ss) still no improvement ,,, I did a fuse pull too.. I don't know if the previous owner beat the piss out of it before selling and screwed something up but i still have a warranty on the car so i want to fix it before it runs out...
That's because you have yesteryear's model.

You don't sound as though you know what you're doing (or supposed to do) and playing with the nannies and that fishtailing crap while you're doing it is going to get you and your 'maro into serious trouble one day. Let's hope for everyone else's sake no one will be around when it does happen. BTW, got OnStar?
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:34 PM   #77
KahunaSS

Quote:
Stock L99 is a 3.27, not a 3.23 described.

Here are some charts for comparison.
Look at the top speeds in 4th.

I suppose if you are only going quarter mile the 3.91 would be good, but on a road course having to shift to fifth at 117 is going to kill you.
Nice!! I can see what you mean... I do lose quite a bit of top speed at the end,, the only reason i wanted to go with the 3.91 is because GM doesn't make the 3.71 because its not stock in any of there cars. the 3.71 looks great! you are right .. i looked everywhere and only find it made by other companies so once again my warranty will be voided .. Nice graphs! It makes much more sense seeing it... I'm going to have to do a lot of thinking and see if i want to keep my warranty or not,,
Old 07-18-2014, 04:39 PM   #78
KahunaSS

Quote:
Stock L99 is a 3.27, not a 3.23 described.

Here are some charts for comparison.
Look at the top speeds in 4th.

I suppose if you are only going quarter mile the 3.91 would be good, but on a road course having to shift to fifth at 117 is going to kill you.

wow going into 5th is like a 40 mph drop. thanks for the heads up.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:48 PM   #79
KahunaSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba View Post
That's because you have yesteryear's model.

You don't sound as though you know what you're doing (or supposed to do) and playing with the nannies and that fishtailing crap while you're doing it is going to get you and your 'maro into serious trouble one day. Let's hope for everyone else's sake no one will be around when it does happen. BTW, got OnStar?

Yesteryears model??? Why did you buy a "Maro" for?? just to look at it and say its pretty? did you just opt for the V6 to save money also? I've been driving my cars hard for a while and haven't had a accident EVER buddy.. Im 33 years old and only have had 1 speeding ticket. I will be sure to use my Onstar when i pass your ass and tell them their is somebody choking on my dust behind me and he needs medical attention... Also I know what I'm doing with the nannies .. some of these nice guys are trying to give me tips about them which i already know but I thank them for their help. So anyway go to dunlin donuts on sunday morning with your old lady and get that coffee and sit there for 4 hours and read the paper and drive home going 35 in a 40 and park your Maro in the garage... what you put on it 1 mile a month?
Old 07-18-2014, 05:22 PM   #80
Mannsiam

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS/RS 1LE
Are you holding tc down for 8seconds?

Yeah Im a Chevy Guy. 11 Silverado, 12 Malibu, 14 Camaro 1LE
Mannsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:34 PM   #81
KahunaSS

yup.. I've done it all.. the dealer said there is a fuel injector issue thats in their computers... so they r going to check it.. but thanks.. also on any ss you tap it twice and it can go competitive mode..
Old 07-18-2014, 08:40 PM   #82
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaSS View Post
Yesteryears model??? Why did you buy a "Maro" for?? just to look at it and say its pretty? did you just opt for the V6 to save money also? I've been driving my cars hard for a while and haven't had a accident EVER buddy.. Im 33 years old and only have had 1 speeding ticket. I will be sure to use my Onstar when i pass your ass and tell them their is somebody choking on my dust behind me and he needs medical attention... Also I know what I'm doing with the nannies .. some of these nice guys are trying to give me tips about them which i already know but I thank them for their help. So anyway go to dunlin donuts on sunday morning with your old lady and get that coffee and sit there for 4 hours and read the paper and drive home going 35 in a 40 and park your Maro in the garage... what you put on it 1 mile a month?
Were you sober when you wrote the fog-brained drivel above, or are you just immature and really bitter? Anyone with any dignity and a minimum of self-respect would be embarrassed to represent themselves in this manner. Plus, you really can't spell worth shit, "buddy".

Furthermore, it's "yesteryear's model". If you're going to quote, at least do it correctly. When you hit the "quote" button, it quotes automatically (you can't even get that right). You really ARE a putz.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."

Last edited by Baba; 07-18-2014 at 09:10 PM.
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:31 AM   #83
KahunaSS

Quote:
Were you sober when you wrote the fog-brained drivel above, or are you just immature and really bitter? Anyone with any dignity and a minimum of self-respect would be embarrassed to represent themselves in this manner. Plus, you really can't spell worth shit, "buddy".

Furthermore, it's "yesteryear's model". If you're going to quote, at least do it correctly. When you hit the "quote" button, it quotes automatically (you can't even get that right). You really ARE a putz.
Fogged Brained Drivel?? Good One Ass Munch.. Sorry I didn't have time to spell check my words.... Im asking a question on this forum and you come on with your shit about me crashing when I'm fish tailing ... What in the world does that have to do with my question?? Do you just go around this forum and get on people for driving their cars to check performance and make sure everything is working correctly?? Then you want to talk about my spelling.. oh no.. you got me.. I'm so embarrassed.. I was talking about a power loss and what could be causing it it again, you chime in on some crap that isn't what I'm asking about. Did i try and make a wise crack at you first?? No i don't believe so. So if you don't mind go onto another thread and preach your crap to somebody else. Everyone here on this site is here to learn, give advice or to teach and thats depending on what the original question is... when you clicked on this thread were you planning on answering the question or did you just come on to criticize??? Forgive me for representing myself in a manner that isn't up to your standards of how a person should conduct themselves..... sorry ....... now i can get back to the discussions i was having with these other knowledgeable gentlemen...
Old 07-19-2014, 01:39 AM   #84
KahunaSS

Quote:

i guess that apostrophe was a really big mistake,,, yesteryears .. yesteryear's.. LOL... dear lord how can i live with myself.. Does it bother you i didn't capitalize the words I, Dear, or Lord ? I bet you proof read everything and tell everyone how stupid they are because the misspelled a word or typed too fast and hit the wrong key and didn't go back to fix it.. smh. anyway.............

Tags
wrong subforum