Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-12-2023, 01:26 PM   #1
I don't want a mustang

Drives: 2022 LT-1 Convertible
Tales from the Service Department

I took my car into the Chevy dealer (Colonial Chevy in Chester, VA) to get a TPMS sensor replaced under warranty. I get a dutiful text message on the reg saying I am low on air although several different tire gauges assure me I am not.

This nice lady is setting up my ticket and asks what I need. I tell her that I need a new TPMS sensor on that white Camaro right outside the service department window.

"Is that a mustang?", she asked.

"A MUSTANG!?", I shockingly exclaimed. "No, Ma'am. That is a 2022 Chevy Camaro LT1 convertible". She walks off to the get the service schedule.

I look at the other two service writers and say. "A mustang? I am depressed."

I'd like to hear other stories about dumbass service writers. I am sure we all have a story or two.
I don't want a mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 02:01 PM   #2
757Fixer

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE M6
While I was doing paper work for the purchase of my 2022 1SS 1LE I could hear a salesman in an adjacent office on the phone explaining all the damage they did to a customers car that was in for service, I believe it was a Corvette. After over hearing that phone call I instantly made up my mind that I would never bring my Camaro to that dealer for service.
Old 09-12-2023, 02:24 PM   #3
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
They're some of the most ill informed, about their own product, just about any one in a dealership.
"I'm the Performance car guru here...you want what? Order a ZL1? What's a ZL1?"

Yes I had that talk actually happen.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 02:37 PM   #4
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Sounds like something I would do. At car shows, when I see a very nice Camaro, I always ask if it's a "Mustang" to get a reaction. I do the same to the Mustang guys ..."hey, that is one sharp Camaro, is it new". No matter what the reaction is, from either owners, I always reply with "oh wow, they look the same" and walk off. ...hehehehe.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 03:31 PM   #5
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by I don't want a mustang View Post
I took my car into the Chevy dealer (Colonial Chevy in Chester, VA) to get a TPMS sensor replaced under warranty. I get a dutiful text message on the reg saying I am low on air although several different tire gauges assure me I am not.

This nice lady is setting up my ticket and asks what I need. I tell her that I need a new TPMS sensor on that white Camaro right outside the service department window.

"A MUSTANG!?", I shockingly exclaimed. "No, Ma'am. That is a 2022 Chevy Camaro LT1 convertible". She walks off to the get the service schedule.

I'd like to hear other stories about dumbass service writers. I am sure we all have a story or two.
Possible sarcasm just messing with you ?
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 03:35 PM   #6
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
Just being honest is all I want. I'm customer service job and I tell my customers whatever the truth is, even if sounds bad to admit. It has completely defused very angry people, when they hear something and realize it has to be the truth because a lie wouldn't sound so bad.

Had a guy get embarrassed in front of other customers at the Mazda dealer. IME, he had it coming'

First, he tells me I need a new air filter. I said "I wonder how it got that bad in two days?

He said "What do you mean?

I said "I just put a new one in two days ago"

That was his first "oh crap" look.

I was there for a transmission flush. He walked by a bit later and I stopped him to ask how much longer (it had been 45 min), and he said "these generally take an hour or two".

"No they don't". He then smiled, and explained how they " do these all they time, and yes they take this long".

I looked right at him and said "do you know what my job was a few years ago"

And that "oh crap" look came back. I named the machine they were using and how I had actually serviced those machines, and how long it takes to flush through the entire capacity.

If he had just said "we got a little behind so it'll be a while" I would have been annoyed but accepted it.
Old 09-12-2023, 03:39 PM   #7
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
Sounds like something I would do. At car shows, when I see a very nice Camaro, I always ask if it's a "Mustang" to get a reaction. I do the same to the Mustang guys ..."hey, that is one sharp Camaro, is it new". No matter what the reaction is, from either owners, I always reply with "oh wow, they look the same" and walk off. ...hehehehe.
Not everyday you see someone call themselves a troll.
Old 09-12-2023, 03:43 PM   #8
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyeSS View Post
If he had just said "we got a little behind so it'll be a while" I would have been annoyed but accepted it.
I don’t understand why human beings don’t realize this is the correct thing to say. If a customer is frustrated how do you think he/she is going to feel after they figured out you lied to them?

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 04:45 PM   #9
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by I don't want a mustang View Post

I don't have any service writer stories, but I could talk your ear off about growing up in Enon in the '60's - '70's. Is Colonial Chevy the dealership at the intersection of routes 1 and 10? I think that was Stroshieder or something like that in my era, although I may have the name confused with the dealer in Hopewell
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 05:57 PM   #10
I don't want a mustang

Drives: 2022 LT-1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
Is Colonial Chevy the dealership at the intersection of routes 1 and 10?
Yep, Rt 1 and Jeff Davis Highway (we're all racists). The dealership is ancient and used to be called Heritage Chevrolet back when I bought my kickin' rad medium quasar blue 1992 Chevy Baretta GTZ. Strosnider is in Hopewell. It's still there.

At another dealer I got into a 10 minute argument with a Toyota service writer because he wanted to put the correct oil for a 4.6L Tundra...in my 5.7L Tundra. Not the same viscosity. I begged him to please put in the right oil.

Free oil changes for life or I would have walked away.
I don't want a mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 07:16 PM   #11
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyeSS View Post
Not everyday you see someone call themselves a troll.
LOL, I'm not sure if it's trolling if you're speaking "in person", but you do have a real mean streak hrpiii.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 07:25 PM   #12
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Pretty funny that your user name is "I don't want a mustang" and the lady at the desk called your Camaro a Mustang

I made the mistake of taking my ZLE to the dealer for a track alignment before my first HPDE event. The tech had no idea what he was doing and mangled up the nuts at the top of the dampers trying to muscle them to turn. They did not realize there are alignment pins preventing the camber plates from turning -- they need to be removed first. Those pretty blue nuts now show a decent amount of bare metal. F*cking amateur!
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 09:37 PM   #13
The Chief (tm)

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS "Convertibobble"
OK, well, neither me, Chevy, nor even "service dept.", but a while ago a friend of mine bought or leased a VW e-Golf, and told me he sat there in amazement as the finance guy tried to sell him a package of "oil change" (and other clearly ICE-related services) for his battery-powered car.
'94 ST1100 146K
The Chief (tm) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 09:43 PM   #14
ChibbMD

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Years ago I owned a Toyota Tacoma. Toyota issued a TSB where they would replace the three-leaf rear springs with four-leaf rear springs. I had fully researched this and knew exactly what I was taking my truck in for. When I got it back, I looked underneath before leaving the dealership. Sure enough, I had brand new 3-leaf springs. I knew this was wrong so I mentioned it to the service rep. He proceeded to argue with me and tell me that they knew what they were doing and there was no way I had the wrong parts installed. He got pretty fired up and I just kept my cool. I ultimately had to pull out the printed TSB and point him to the proper part numbers. I told him to get under the vehicle and look at the part numbers on the springs. He begrudgingly looked and was such an ass that he didn't apologize or acknowledge that he was wrong. Just ordered the new parts and made me another appointment. They fixed it but needless to say I never took my truck there again.
ChibbMD is offline   Reply With Quote