Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-08-2014, 02:38 PM   #1
banter

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6 Black
8 speed auto

Now that it has been confirmed in the sting ray for '15, do you think they'll put it in the camaro with the '16 redesign? Personally, i dont see why not.
banter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:33 PM   #2
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Seems logical to me. I love driving a manual but that instant gratification of an automatic grows even more appealing with an 8 speed auto.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:02 PM   #3
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
I suspect we will probably see it in 2016 also. Gotta keep that MPG going up to keep up with the cafe requirements.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:52 AM   #4
MikeT

Drives: 2008 Malibu V6
Upgraded V6... upgraded V8s... Cadillac platform... 8 speed autos... at what point would all this stuff result in the Camaro becoming a much more expensive car?

Just askin'

Of course, I want all these improvements as much as the rest of you, but seriously the Camaro right now is one of the very few 'good value' vehicles (i.e., in terms of bang for the buck) in GM's entire lineup. Are we looking at the end of an era... and a Camaro starting north of $28K or something?
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:22 AM   #5
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
I like the idea of it, but what I always come back to in my head is, "How much is it going to cost to fix when it breaks?"...
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:40 AM   #6
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
Upgraded V6... upgraded V8s... Cadillac platform... 8 speed autos... at what point would all this stuff result in the Camaro becoming a much more expensive car?

Just askin'

Of course, I want all these improvements as much as the rest of you, but seriously the Camaro right now is one of the very few 'good value' vehicles (i.e., in terms of bang for the buck) in GM's entire lineup. Are we looking at the end of an era... and a Camaro starting north of $28K or something?
The Camaro's already a much more expensive car. It has an obligation to compete with other cars in the segment. To cheapen the car would kill it.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:09 AM   #7
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT View Post

Just askin'

Alpha isn't Cadillac exclusive. In fact it was developed with the Sigma fiasco in mind where GM couldn't use the platform for anyone else because it cost so much.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:17 PM   #8
MikeT

Drives: 2008 Malibu V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
The Camaro's already a much more expensive car. It has an obligation to compete with other cars in the segment. To cheapen the car would kill it.
'Much more expensive' than what?! The Camaro is currently GM's LEAST expensive way to get into a V6 or a V8. I don't expect that to change, but it will be a bit disappointing if prices have to move up 5 large or so to pay for all these rumored upgrades.
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:37 AM   #9
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
"Juechter confirmed the transmission will find its way into other applications, even though it’s design was influenced solely by the Z06 project."
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:57 AM   #10
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
My only question is, will they continue using this 8-speed when the new F/GM 9 and 10-speeds hit the market?

I ask because millions have been spent developing these. So why not use the latest and possible more efficient/ effective trans?
Old 04-10-2014, 11:07 AM   #11
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by crysalis_01 View Post
My only question is, will they continue using this 8-speed when the new F/GM 9 and 10-speeds hit the market?

I ask because millions have been spent developing these. So why not use the latest and possible more efficient/ effective trans?
I think those were developed for trucks. Of course, that doesn't mean they won't appear in a car at some point, but I think that would take a while.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:09 AM   #12
banter

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by crysalis_01 View Post

I'm gonna say yes because I don't believe the 9 and 10 speeds were built for performance oriented vehicles. Also, GM needs to get their money worth from the R&D that went into this trans.
banter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:13 AM   #13
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
I don't get it. There is a law of diminishing returns with adding gears on a transmission.

At some point, the lag of having to constantly shift will diminish the increased acceleration provided by the closer gear ratio.

The constant shifting will diminish the ride comfort and make it annoying. I can't stand overly-shifty automatics.

With every gear you add, you add another point of failure.

We are approaching the point of putting in less efficient, less comfortable, less reliable, more expensive transmissions in vehicles just for the sake of marketing more "speeds." It doesn't make sense. 6 gears is the sweet spot, IMO. It allows a tight ratio with a large overdrive and an aggressive first gear. Adding more is fruitless and annoying to deal with.

One of the biggest downsides of the internal combustion engine is that it makes its power in a very narrow range and requires a transmission. This was its Achilles Heel a century ago when it was competing against electric and steam motors. The goal of any engineer should be to make a vehicle function at maximum potential using as few gears as possible. This is how you define drivetrain efficiency. They're just dumping gears in there because a bigger number advertised looks more impressive just like camera manufacturers dump larger MP numbers on their cameras for marketing with no regard to lens or sensor quality.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:25 AM   #14
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
I think those were developed for trucks. Of course, that doesn't mean they won't appear in a car at some point, but I think that would take a while.
If I remember correctly the two were being devoloped for both FWD and RWD configuartions and that the 9-speed is for lower TQ output vehicles, small FWD/AWD cars, CUV's, and crossovers, while the 10-speed is for higher TQ output applications from RWD/AWD cars, SUV's, and trucks.