Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 03-29-2024, 08:11 AM   #57
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
This feels like we’re back to the old days, where all you needed to steal any car was a shim or long pick, a flat head screwdriver, and a hammer.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 08:50 AM   #58
L2SS455

Drives: VOM 2022 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrocker View Post
This feels like we’re back to the old days, where all you needed to steal any car was a shim or long pick, a flat head screwdriver, and a hammer.
Maybe worse. Didn't have social media then, like TikTok showing, spreading every a##hole how to do it.
L2SS455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 09:07 AM   #59
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by L2SS455 View Post
Hyundai and KIA was a completely different situation. They simply didn’t have the hardware to prevent thefts. Not true!

Per KIA

"In addition to this ignition cylinder protector, Kia has also designed a software upgrade that further enhances a vehicle’s security by restricting the operation of a vehicle’s ignition system should a potential criminal attempt to steal a locked vehicle without the key,"

So, there you have it. A software upgrade!
Kia thefts have been reported locally by owners after the software update. I see other similar reports on the internet. It would seem that the software update hasn’t resolved the problem after all.
Mark114 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 09:26 AM   #60
L2SS455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
Kia thefts have been reported locally by owners after the software update. I see other similar reports on the internet. It would seem that the software update hasn’t resolved the problem after all.
Not surprising. There are multiple ways to steal a car. The point I'm making is that once it's out in the social media world like TikTok, it's duplicated by every Tom, Dick and Harry from Teens on up. Kia's rep. as a easy steal will persist for years to come. That's why we don't want this to happen to Camaro's.
Old 03-29-2024, 09:38 AM   #61
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Prediction: It's going to be the GM full-size trucks that cause any kind of retro-fix from GM. Way, WAY more of those get stolen and if I recall they basically have similar security architecture as the Camaro.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 09:54 AM   #62
crazedmodder

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
The goal is more consistency with revenue-generating, software and marketing functions to make the groups work more efficiently, while keeping customer experience and quality a top priority."
What does "more consistency with revenue-generating, software and marketing functions" even mean? Sounds like typical PR non-sense. I agree with others about GM being behind in software (I feel this way about most automotive manufacturers to be fair), and that this shake-up might be beneficial for improvements in that area, but I am interpreting that quote as GM targeting software more as a revenue generation stream (subscriptions...) instead of using it as a way of improving their products.

Quote:
Not surprising. There are multiple ways to steal a car. The point I'm making is that once it's out in the social media world like TikTok, it's duplicated by every Tom, Dick and Harry from Teens on up. Kia's rep. as a easy steal will persist for years to come. That's why we don't want this to happen to Camaro's.
This is a big worry for me, I've started looking into better security systems for the Camaro but once a car gets a reputation for being easy to steal it will still likely get damaged in the process. Sure, a broken window or damaged dash is better than losing your car completely, but I feel like it is throwing away money to repair damage from failed thefts because of flaws that companies have in their products.

Anyone remember the Mazda 3 generation where if you kicked the door in the right spot it would unlock? Many of the parked Mazda 3s I crossed in that time had big dents in the doors, and this persisted for a long time even after Mazda did their recall to install reinforcement plates as a remedy.
crazedmodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 10:12 AM   #63
L2SS455

This is a big worry for me, too. Had Big plans to see and ride thru America with my VOM 2SS. Now with this New crap (Camaro stealing on the rise), even with IGLA, Compustar T13, OBD Lock, etc. I would never forgive myself, if I left it unattended in some hotel lot and it got broken into with glass., I would be removing for the life of the vehicle.
Old 03-29-2024, 10:14 AM   #64

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
...And just think, all these ongoing software issues that go unresolved and never ending are brought to you buy the same folks who are pushing the ability to "drive" with no-hands on the wheel!

With your family inside and other innocent travelers on the road, it's something to consider with the track record of software in cars before this software dependent "hands-free" bs gets out of control...(pun intended).
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 10:44 AM   #65
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Made the call. Took about 10 minutes. I figured 10-20 minutes talking to GM would be quicker than waiting for police, filing reports, and dealing with the insurance.

IMO, cars will always be stolen. They could get a flatbed or a helicopter to steal it.

That being said, GM has a duty to make my vehicle secure.
Why not just forget door locks and put a toggle switch on the dash?

This cloning business is just about as easy.

Not only that, as some have mentioned, my insurance rates will go up to cover these losses.
I'm sure we will have to pay more period because the odds of a damage claim occurring w/o an actual theft will go up too.

Also, saying it's only a "LA thing", or "California thing" is pretty ignorant. Everyone knows that once a trend starts (good or bad), it will travel across the country. It's only a matter of time.

FWIW, you can also add Dodge to the list of companies that recognized the problem and is/has attempted to fix it.

https://www.dodgegarage.com/news/art...-measures.html

Last edited by 95 imp; 03-29-2024 at 10:58 AM.
95 imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 01:10 PM   #66
L2SS455

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
Made the call. Took about 10 minutes. I figured 10-20 minutes talking to GM would be quicker than waiting for police, filing reports, and dealing with the insurance.

IMO, cars will always be stolen. They could get a flatbed or a helicopter to steal it.

Not only that, as some have mentioned, my insurance rates will go up to cover these losses.
I'm sure we will have to pay more period because the odds of a damage claim occurring w/o an actual theft will go up too.

Also, saying it's only a "LA thing", or "California thing" is pretty ignorant. Everyone knows that once a trend starts (good or bad), it will travel across the country. It's only a matter of time.

FWIW, you can also add Dodge to the list of companies that recognized the problem and is/has attempted to fix it.

They have a key system, preventing thieves from creating a new key fob. WTF !
Come on GM!
Old 03-29-2024, 02:09 PM   #67
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Obviously that Dodge thing from 2021 didn't work or has already been bypassed. Lots of Hellcats and other Stelantis vehicles being stolen now.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 11:21 PM   #68
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Spoke with my Agent today (Allstate) about discounts for theft deterrents.

It varies from state to state (AZ is a no).

I also asked if, as an individual company, or as a group (insurance association), do they lobby car manufacturers to fix these sorts of issues.

The reply was no.

Specifically, she stated that in the case of KIA, insurance companies either refused to insure any vehicles, or they offered liability only.

Allstate's stand was that if the car owners got mad enough, they'd contact the manufacturers to demand a software patch to solve the problem.
Old 03-30-2024, 09:29 AM   #69
L2SS455

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post

Thanks, wish every 6th Gen. Camaro owner would do the same.

As said by :"Allstate's stand was that if the car owners got mad enough, they'd contact the manufacturers to demand a software patch to solve the problem."
Old 03-30-2024, 10:09 AM   #70
Capricio

Drives: 2000 WS6
Too much hand wringing over the "why even try?" arguments to contend with the flatbeds/helicopters (less than 1%) when a simple relay swap (regardless of appearance of the actual relay) or kill switch will stop the 16 year old with cloning tool from Amazon (99%) in his tracks.
Capricio is offline   Reply With Quote