Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 08-13-2016, 10:31 PM   #1
banter

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6 Black
Smile Newfound respect for my own car (long w/cliff notes)

(Cliff Notes at bottom)

So, I've been without my car for the past week thanks for quite an ordeal with the dealership and getting my 56F wheels on. But that's not whta I'm here to talk about. During that time I was set up in a 2016 Honda Accord. Obviously a night and day change as far as car type but what I wasn't expecting was how much it'd change how I feel about the car (for the better).

I love and have always loved my 2016 Camaro but I also knew it wasn't without it's own faults. However, the Honda Accord is one of the highest selling and most agreed upon car for the masses of being convenient, comfortable, economical, and just overall good. After spending a week in one (4 cyl with CVT) I have to say... I disliked it... borderline hated even. I honestly think people are drones just listening to what others say when they get one.

I'll start off with what is often a hot topic for our cars. VISIBILITY! By far the biggest complaint about our cars, although I don't think that it's that bad. It's mostly people needing to get used to narrow windows and windshield. The actual range of view (aside from out the rear window) with good mirror placement is almost blindspot free. This Accord however, has serious blindspots. Despite having gigantic windows, the rear quarters are impossible to get a view of not matter how you arrange your mirrors or move around in your seat. Also, the backup camera is awful but I'll get to that when we talk about interior.

Obviously the Accord shines with gas mileage especially with that CVT and it's slow as hell compared to the camaro so that's the obvious. CVTs are very unsettling when you go WOT and it sits right at 7000rpm just before the redline. Exterior, is another obvious... camaro beautiful, accord not so much.

I expected the Accord to be far more comfortable, ergonomic and quieter than my camaro though. Again, I was wrong. Road noise, something I always thought was pretty bad on our cars. The accord was much worse and it doesn't help that there was no exhaust noise to try to cover it with either. The center console was too low to rest your arm on so essentially, no armrest. The screen for infotainment and backup camera was atrocious. It was angled upward so there's always a glare and the bright brightness being cranked all the way up couldn't save it from being nearly unreadable. The seats were made for people who are 4 feet wide and when you corner the car starts rolling before you even start having any lateral change in motion. The gauge cluster is a mess and when I wanted to change what I was looking at (trip, gas mileage, etc) it comes up on the infotainment screen rather than the dash. The interior quality was nothing better than you would find in a new Chevy Spark. It also had the most sensitive brake pedal I've ever experienced.

The summary of my experience, cliff notes if you will, is that the only thing the accord has remotely better than our cars in gas mileage and space. Aside from those things, the car is awful. I never knew how much better our modern muscle could be compared to one of the highest selling cars in the world. I never would have guessed how much more comfortable and convenient our cars and especially how much better the visibility is. I have never appreciated my car more. I'll get some pics of the car with the new wheels up as soon as I get her cleaned up.
banter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:47 PM   #2
jasonsk287

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LT
Thanks for sharing, I found this interesting. I'm guessing you had a sedan? I always found the coupe to be sharp, but nothing like a Camaro in terms of looks/power/everything else. The sedan is better nowadays than a few years back, and much better than a Camry, but still boring.

My aunt just got a '16 Accord sedan Sport and she absolutely loves it, but I drove it and it was decent but I wasn't overly impressed. They may have a reliability record but the Camaro is the one for me.
jasonsk287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:56 PM   #3
banter

Yes, it was a sedan
Old 08-14-2016, 12:01 AM   #4
Johnwon

Drives: 2016 Mosaic Black 2SS, NPP, A8.
I feel the same about the Honda Civic that we have for my daughter to drive. For a 16 year old, I won't find her racing in it, etc. it is however made for smaller people, feels cheaper with thinner everything, is under powered when you need it and does have a lot of road noise even with really good tires. Overall, I think it's a good car to learn on, but won't ever buy another.
Johnwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:13 AM   #5
checkmate427

Drives: none
I dd a 2014 accord and found nothing you said to be true.

Previously owned a 5th gen Camaro and several 4th gens.
Although I do not own a 6th gen I have test driven several.

How you could possible state the accord has bad visability is quite confusing. I can see perfectly fine out of my car at all angles. The Camaro is down right horrible to see out of Campared to the accord. Visibility out the Camaro has been bad since 2010 and a major complaint. The back up camera is clear and has the trackers to show you exactly where the car will land. The blindspot camera is a very nice touch also, although I've never really needed it because I know how to adjust and use my mirrors.

The dash is layed out beautiful, everything functions as expected. The information system is simple and easy to use. You can view gas mileage, trip odometer and oil life via the gauge cluster. There button to cycle through this on the dash. Functions like numerous other cars I've driven. Or you can view this information on the giant screen which makes it very nice. I have no issues resting my arm on the center console in a position of comfort. I've driven 1200 miles in one day and felt like a million bucks after arriving at my destination

Cvt is arguably one of the best on the market. It's very smooth.

I live in the mountains of Virginia and the cvt performs without confusion in hill conditions.

There is a reason Honda sells so many accords and Gm is struggling with the Camaro.
It is a fantastic car for the money and functions as people expect.

I believe you are trying to bash the accord for no good reason other than to pound your big bad Camaro chest. But why? 2 completely different markets for these cars. The accord will live on for years to come and gm will likely cancel the Camaro again. Visibility, over price and the mustang continues to crush it in sales.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:46 AM   #6
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Checkmate, all CVTs are smooth.. Some people like them, some don't. I actually like them especially over a junky Ford calibrated automatic I drove today. God, I've driven three Fusions and the regular auto in all of them is junk. Can I get smooth shifts if I give it a little more throttle, please? Fusion hybrid was pretty good with the Ecvt. Even a damn Sonata shifts smoother and it's a goddamn Hyundai.

Accord does have more road noise than competition and does seem more of a tin can car.. This is Honda in general.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:52 AM   #7
banter

I never said anything bad about the CVT, just that it made me uncomfortable when it'd ride at 7000rpm while WOT for extended periods. Not a bad thing just something to get used to. As for blind spots, no I'm not making that up. You could see plenty out of the cars massive windows but in just a week there was at least 6 instances where a car "suddenly appeared" beside me because of the massive rear quarter blind spot. The backup camera trackers aren't too bad but the camera itself looks almost directly at the floor and you can't see what's behind you (and that's when you aren't blinded by the glare). Who knows, maybe someone had bumped the camera previously and it's now not facing it's normal position. As for the center console, I'm not making this up, it was down by the bottom of the seat.

This was a sedan as well, is yours a coupe? Maybe the higher end models are slightly different (this was a rental after all)?
Old 08-14-2016, 09:04 AM   #8
Eugene onegin

Drives: No Car
A Honda is more of a appliance then a car .
Eugene onegin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 11:46 AM   #9
MiamiBlueCamaro

Drives: Gen 6 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by banter View Post
(Cliff Notes at bottom)

So, I've been without my car for the past week thanks for quite an ordeal with the dealership and getting my 56F wheels on. But that's not whta I'm here to talk about. During that time I was set up in a 2016 Honda Accord. Obviously a night and day change as far as car type but what I wasn't expecting was how much it'd change how I feel about the car (for the better).

I love and have always loved my 2016 Camaro but I also knew it wasn't without it's own faults. However, the Honda Accord is one of the highest selling and most agreed upon car for the masses of being convenient, comfortable, economical, and just overall good. After spending a week in one (4 cyl with CVT) I have to say... I disliked it... borderline hated even. I honestly think people are drones just listening to what others say when they get one.

I'll start off with what is often a hot topic for our cars. VISIBILITY! By far the biggest complaint about our cars, although I don't think that it's that bad. It's mostly people needing to get used to narrow windows and windshield. The actual range of view (aside from out the rear window) with good mirror placement is almost blindspot free. This Accord however, has serious blindspots. Despite having gigantic windows, the rear quarters are impossible to get a view of not matter how you arrange your mirrors or move around in your seat. Also, the backup camera is awful but I'll get to that when we talk about interior.

Obviously the Accord shines with gas mileage especially with that CVT and it's slow as hell compared to the camaro so that's the obvious. CVTs are very unsettling when you go WOT and it sits right at 7000rpm just before the redline. Exterior, is another obvious... camaro beautiful, accord not so much.

I expected the Accord to be far more comfortable, ergonomic and quieter than my camaro though. Again, I was wrong. Road noise, something I always thought was pretty bad on our cars. The accord was much worse and it doesn't help that there was no exhaust noise to try to cover it with either. The center console was too low to rest your arm on so essentially, no armrest. The screen for infotainment and backup camera was atrocious. It was angled upward so there's always a glare and the bright brightness being cranked all the way up couldn't save it from being nearly unreadable. The seats were made for people who are 4 feet wide and when you corner the car starts rolling before you even start having any lateral change in motion. The gauge cluster is a mess and when I wanted to change what I was looking at (trip, gas mileage, etc) it comes up on the infotainment screen rather than the dash. The interior quality was nothing better than you would find in a new Chevy Spark. It also had the most sensitive brake pedal I've ever experienced.

The summary of my experience, cliff notes if you will, is that the only thing the accord has remotely better than our cars in gas mileage and space. Aside from those things, the car is awful. I never knew how much better our modern muscle could be compared to one of the highest selling cars in the world. I never would have guessed how much more comfortable and convenient our cars and especially how much better the visibility is. I have never appreciated my car more. I'll get some pics of the car with the new wheels up as soon as I get her cleaned up.

Completely agree!
Attached Images

MiamiBlueCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:05 PM   #10
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene onegin View Post
Agreed. The two of them usually don't even get compared to one another.

Honda Accords, Toyota Camrys, and just about everything else in that segment are just bland, boring transportation appliances. If you really don't care about driving then they are fine choices. They are economical, reliable, have good resale value and they are boring.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:21 PM   #11
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene onegin View Post
my wife has driven an Accord Crosstour since 2010. Like the Camaro, it sacrifices a little visibility and practicality for style. I like it.
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:34 PM   #12
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
One of my other cars is a 2014 Accord EX-L sedan. I think it's a nice car - completely different than the Camaro of course, and I don't think I would ever try to compare them. I don't find the CVT to be bad at all, and keep in mind most Accord drivers are not going to be pushing the red line. OP, I think the Camaro is 'the car' for you, but I don't think the Accord is bad at all for a mid-size sedan.
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:49 PM   #13
1sspat
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 2016 2SS, 6SP, NPP, MRC, NAV
Appliance for sure. The Hondas serve a need at low cost of ownership. Got rid of my 2009 Honda Civic (it pains me that I ever had to say "my Honda Civic") and purchased my 2SS and found my dignity again.
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2016, 11:44 PM   #14
fzr100098
Banned

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue
Haha - yeah I was tired of getting blown off the road by 370Zs and pretty much everything else in my S2000

Right after I got the car I walked a Hyundai Genesis coupe with fart cans and lights - damn that felt good

Last edited by fzr100098; 08-15-2016 at 01:21 AM.
fzr100098 is offline   Reply With Quote