Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 05-17-2017, 08:31 PM   #169
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
Re On Track Use: As I've said many times- novice drivers have absolutely zero need for anything but OE. The OE pads can take all the punishing an advanced driver can throw at them, however... being a big and heavy car- the higher friction afforded my a dedicated track pad offers less pad wear/less pedal effort/quicker response.

The only car I've driven with equal OE brakes\pads is Porsche GT stuff. That's one hell of a compliment.
Yes it is pls remind me which pads you use for track? Was it DTC60?
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:34 PM   #170
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Yes it is pls remind me which pads you use for track? Was it DTC60?
Yes, DTC 60 front and rear
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:26 AM   #171
TrackClub

Thx Provoste
Old 05-23-2017, 01:41 PM   #172
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
ST43 after a few events vs almost new OEM pads

Just an update on my rotors and ST43 pads after the 4th event (3 full event to be exact since the first couple two were only half day)

As you can see the hairline cracks are a bit more visible but should be fine for a few more events

I measured the ST43s at ~16mm (they're 18mm when new if IIRC) as you can see there's still tons of life on them

And this is the OEM pads with only 800 miles on them (no track miles) Measured at 15.2 mm. They still look brand new in comparison:
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:36 PM   #173
slick3

Drives: Garnet Red - 20 ZLE
Put the Gloc pads on this weekend with some motul 600. Getting ready for an event this weekend.

I have drove the car on the street aproxamitely 80 miles and am already seeing hot spots in the rotor.

This is my first set of track specific pads.. What gives? I havent had an abrut stops or even gotten them hot yet. A couple 60-0 stops under normal street conditions nothing crazy.

They had ZERO hot spots in them prior to the pad swap... Can someone explain this to me?

Could the pad be dragging or caliper problem with the fluid swap? They are squeeky at low speeds coming to a stop with no brake applied but im just assuming thats the nature of the pad compound being aggressive.
slick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:52 PM   #174
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick3 View Post
Put the Gloc pads on this weekend with some motul 600. Getting ready for an event this weekend.

I have drove the car on the street aproxamitely 80 miles and am already seeing hot spots in the rotor.

This is my first set of track specific pads.. What gives? I havent had an abrut stops or even gotten them hot yet. A couple 60-0 stops under normal street conditions nothing crazy.

They had ZERO hot spots in them prior to the pad swap... Can someone explain this to me?

Could the pad be dragging or caliper problem with the fluid swap? They are squeeky at low speeds coming to a stop with no brake applied but im just assuming thats the nature of the pad compound being aggressive.
Slight scrubbing with the new pads is normal and it goes away after the first event or some miles. I cannot speak about the hot spots you are referring to but supposedly different compound materials cause this. I personally never really worried about changing different pads as if there's any residue from the previous pads typically goes away after a few laps

You might want to follow the bed in procedure for that pad and report back after your event
Old 05-23-2017, 03:01 PM   #175
jksynergy

Drives: 11 SW SYNERGY SERIES/14 1SS 1LE
I'd say give GLoc brakes a shout. I run them on our 5th Gen 1LE with very good results for both track and autocross. I currently run R12 fronts and R10rears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 1SS 1LE. Bama, sporting Red Rock Metallic demon's horns, when we are ready to get naughty and open a can of whoopass! Airaid, Spectre, Xpel,Bowler shifter Peddars, UMI, Ult Perf. Diode Dynamics, JRE Tune, XS Power battery,
Hooker Headers Blackheart exhaust,Powerbrake
InstaGram & Twitter: @jlouie62
FB: hangtimeracing
jksynergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 04:05 PM   #176
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick3 View Post

This is my first set of track specific pads.. What gives? I havent had an abrut stops or even gotten them hot yet. A couple 60-0 stops under normal street conditions nothing crazy. ....
They're not hot spots, it's intermittent transfer layer. Did you not wash your rotors of the old transfer layer before putting on the GLoc's?

You need to actually clean the rotors and then re-bed. Soap & water and/or brake cleaner spray. If the rotors don't get rusty after you wash and dry them, you didn't get the transfer layer off.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:48 PM   #177
TrackClub

Thx for the update Cem! I'd say they are looking real good. Will get those pads a try for sure. Thx!
Old 05-23-2017, 08:58 PM   #178
mbar

Drives: 2016 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
Just an update on my rotors and ST43 pads after the 4th event (3 full event to be exact since the first couple two were only half day)

As you can see the hairline cracks are a bit more visible but should be fine for a few more events

I measured the ST43s at ~16mm (they're 18mm when new if IIRC) as you can see there's still tons of life on them

And this is the OEM pads with only 800 miles on them (no track miles) Measured at 15.2 mm. They still look brand new in comparison:
This is an amazing wear.
I'm trying these pads in 2 weeks. Can't wait
Old 05-23-2017, 09:11 PM   #179
TrackClub

Yes impressive. 2mm after 3 days is damn good! Cem - how many stints per day usually and how long? Thx!
Old 05-24-2017, 03:33 AM   #180
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbar View Post
This is an amazing wear.
I'm trying these pads in 2 weeks. Can't wait
They never disappointed me

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Yes impressive. 2mm after 3 days is damn good! Cem - how many stints per day usually and how long? Thx!
I don't usually keep my sessions long and after a few hot laps I do a couple cool down laps so that I won't overheat the brakes and tires.
If I am at the ORP typically 3-4 sessions and for the Ridge 2-3 good sessions if I am lucky but it wasn't the case last time.

However, I tortured my pads and rotors because of the new flaggers at the last RMP event and had to bleed my fronts at the next ORP event (since I forgot that detail and didn't bleed before the event). The most important thing to mention, brakes and fluid are the first thing I changed as soon as I got this car. About 3200 miles on them also

They never let me down on my previous cars so I am hoping to get similar life out of them.

I ordered some caliper temp stickers and will soon put the DBAs on to see what kind of temps they reach at the ORP, since it's way harsher on the brakes than the RMP
Old 05-24-2017, 07:58 AM   #181
mbar

Drives: 2016 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
They never disappointed me
Which pads are you using for the rear?
Old 05-24-2017, 08:08 AM   #182
TrackClub

So F discs/pads are the same size as C7 Z06 right?
Except for a hat which is a different offset if I recall correctly.
Remind me please about R rotor/pad sizing? Are these the same as a regular SS? Thx!
PS a "day" based on my logging of consumables life span is 2hrs: 4x30mins stints each normally with 1 outlap and 1 cool down lap. Albeit at some events we run 7 sessions per day, or just open track.