Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-25-2014, 10:33 AM   #1
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Should Camaro get its own platform again?

The Alpha seems to be a well received platform but, with so many cars and power trains being used on the Alpha, couldn't the Camaro benefit from having its own platform that isn't so compromised? As far as I know, the Mustang rides on its own platform and is priced competitively to the Camaro. What are the benefits of the Camaro using a corporate platform? It can't be cost related because the Camaro isn't any cheaper than the Mustang.

Maybe my understanding of this is way off base but I just was thinking about it and curious to what other people think.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:52 AM   #2
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Ford's looking to leverage Mustang's platform for other applications.

Dedicated platforms for vehicle lines only works with more exclusive, lower volume products. Like Y-body and Corvette.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:01 AM   #3
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Ford's looking to leverage Mustang's platform for other applications.

Dedicated platforms for vehicle lines only works with more exclusive, lower volume products. Like Y-body and Corvette.
I get that they are trying to use it for other vehicles but the fact that it went into production without another car riding on the same platform means Ford must believe it can stand on its own with just the Mustang.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:09 AM   #4
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Global versatile platforms used across vehicles lines make financial sense and is a reality of the current state of the automotive industry.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:22 AM   #5
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Like snizzle said above...thats just the way it is, and I agree with the practice if it makes sense, which in this case I think it does make sense.

Alpha was designed to be a modular, and lightweight modern chassis. The ATS and CTS get nothing but praise in the aspect of ride and handling, so I'm very happy to see that Camaro will share this platform.

Camaro might cost the same as Mustang, but its a win for GM to be able to use this shared chassis. Also, because it is used so much (helping keep costs down) maybe that allows GM to use more light material in the structure than they otherwise would have if it was just one dedicated chassis for the Camaro.

When it comes to Alpha I don't consider it a compromise, but in reality a win for GM and for us. Was Camaro going on Zeta a compromise....maybe so because of size and weight.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:30 AM   #6
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I get that they are trying to use it for other vehicles but the fact that it went into production without another car riding on the same platform means Ford must believe it can stand on its own with just the Mustang.
There always has to be a first.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:47 AM   #7
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Like snizzle said above...thats just the way it is, and I agree with the practice if it makes sense, which in this case I think it does make sense.

Alpha was designed to be a modular, and lightweight modern chassis. The ATS and CTS get nothing but praise in the aspect of ride and handling, so I'm very happy to see that Camaro will share this platform.

Camaro might cost the same as Mustang, but its a win for GM to be able to use this shared chassis. Also, because it is used so much (helping keep costs down) maybe that allows GM to use more light material in the structure than they otherwise would have if it was just one dedicated chassis for the Camaro.

When it comes to Alpha I don't consider it a compromise, but in reality a win for GM and for us. Was Camaro going on Zeta a compromise....maybe so because of size and weight.
I guess my point is, if the Alpha sharing doesn't lead to significant advantages in the way of lightness, performance or costs, then is there really any benefit? Of course, we have to wait until the Camaro comes out and all the stats are known but, I was really surprised at how little the price went up on the 2015 Mustang given how much it changed.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:47 PM   #8
SEVEN-OH JOE
Account Suspended

Drives: some to distraction
Quote:
I guess my point is, if the Alpha sharing doesn't lead to significant advantages in the way of lightness, performance or costs, then is there really any benefit? Of course, we have to wait until the Camaro comes out and all the stats are known but, I was really surprised at how little the price went up on the 2015 Mustang given how much it changed.
Alpha is lighter than Zeta, from which the Gen-5 Camaro was "borne", so an Alpha-based Camaro WILL be lighter, with better performance (0-60 etc. as well as mpg and 60-0) and a lower cast than any other Alpha. And, as has been the case since '09, EACH Camaro sold will be profitable.

Alpha ATSs are very well-regarded by the motoring press. From its announcement AND currently. Don't expect anything less for Camaro with regard to the driving experience.

As mentioned, the S550 platform is NOT going to be Mustang-exclusive and, therefore, is one of the reasons the promised weight-savings DIDN'T happen.

Stop believing certain posts on that Mustang site.
SEVEN-OH JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:55 PM   #9
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
No. Platform sharing significantly reduces costs. Besides, there's a lot of room on modern platforms for cars to be distinguished from one another.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:56 PM   #10
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Why does it matter what platform it's on? As long as it handles well and puts power down it's fine.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:36 PM   #11
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Cost and price are 2 different things. An apple from the tree in my back yard is, essentially free, and I can sell it for $0.50, maybe. I could also fly to British Columbia, get an apple from the Okanagan Valley, bring it back here, and it would cost me hundreds of dollars. But I wouldn't be able to sell it for any more than the apple from the tree in my back yard. People are only willing to pay so much for certain things. Exceed that price, and sales drop off dramatically, no matter how much it cost you.

The cost of engineering a platform is more or less fixed. It will cost $XYZ to develop an all new platform, lets say its a billion dollars, regardless of how many cars you end up building with it. If there are only 10,000 cars ever build on it you're looking at $100,000 of platform R&D that each car needs to cover. Crank that number up to 500k and each car only has $2000 worth of platform R&D to pay for. And a couple million units makes the R&D very cheap. Automakers don't quite break it down like that but thats the end result: the more cars you build off a single platform, the less expensive it becomes.

The more complex a platform is (like when it has to accommodate a sports car, a compact sedan, and a full size sedan), the more expensive it will end up being compared to a single deticated platform. However, 1 platform for 4 cars is much cheaper than 4 platforms for 4 cars. Thin of the cost of sharing platforms as being like the cost of running errands. You have to get groceries, fill up on gas, pick up some stuff at Home Depot, and [list 4th miscellaneous thing]. You could make a special trip for each one (unique platforms for everything) or go and do a loop combining them all (sharing platforms). Sure, the cost is higher compared to a trip (as you have to drive further), but its substantially lower than making 4 special trips because you don't have to waste time/fuel doing the same thing over & over.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:58 PM   #12
Bhobbs

I'm not saying the Alpha isn't a great platform. My point is the more you try to do with the same thing, the worse it does them. Especially when you consider the fact that not all of them share the same end objective.

I starting thinking about this after reading this thread on GMI.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...01/index2.html

Now, clearly, the weight of the car (I'm guessing they meant what became the ATS) to be way under 4,000 lbs but it does bring up the fact that every change compromises something.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:34 PM   #13
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
The Alpha seems to be a well received platform but, with so many cars and power trains being used on the Alpha, couldn't the Camaro benefit from having its own platform that isn't so compromised? As far as I know, the Mustang rides on its own platform and is priced competitively to the Camaro. What are the benefits of the Camaro using a corporate platform? It can't be cost related because the Camaro isn't any cheaper than the Mustang.

Maybe my understanding of this is way off base but I just was thinking about it and curious to what other people think.
Look how many cars shared the Mustang platform through the years.

1974-78 Pinto and Mustang 2

1979-2004 Fox platform,Fairmont,Cougar,T Bird,Capri,Mustang.

2005-2014 Dew 98 platform,Thunderbird,Jaguar S type and XF,Lincoln LS,Mustang(modded into D2C kind of like the Zeta 2 for us)

Trust me with 100,000 units a year or less other cars will be built on this platform.
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:42 PM   #14
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
When you have been #2 for the last 5 yrs after having the whole segment for the previous 7yrs there is not much room for a price increase.

Just look how much Ford upped their game after the 5th Gen arrived.

The new 6th will be lighter and run circles around the 5th, and the new Mustang.
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote