Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 10-25-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
Floppydisk

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Removing back bowtie

I'm wanting to remove the back bowtie, but I have an early 2010. Everything I've read seems to say there's going to be two holes when I take it off. So I was wondering if one of those vinyl strips that black out the trunk lid would cover that without somehow showing the holes. Another option is the magnetic one, but I was concerned with that staying on and not moving or whatever. Also something potentially noteworthy is I'm thinking of either putting the camaro letters back there when I get it off, or putting an SS thing on it.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
There will be holes. A piece of vinyl would cover it, but where the holes are will still be slightly noticeable to anyone looking for it. This is why I have a carbon fiber trunk lid.

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
2014 CRT ZL1 574 rwhp, 537 rwtq - SOLD
2010 IBM SS Camaro VVT L99 w/ TR6060 swap, 489 rwhp, 444 rwtq - SOLD
nighttowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:11 PM   #3
USMCSSGT-RET

Drives: '14 SIM 2LT/RS Vert
What's your build date? May 2010 and earlier has holes, anything after that is hole free.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
Floppydisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCSSGT-RET View Post
What's your build date? May 2010 and earlier has holes, anything after that is hole free.
Thanks, I didn't know that. I'll check in a bit with my fingers crossed.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:05 PM   #5
Floppydisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttowl View Post
There will be holes. A piece of vinyl would cover it, but where the holes are will still be slightly noticeable to anyone looking for it. This is why I have a carbon fiber trunk lid.
Do you have a pic somewhere of how well the carbon fiber blends in? Your's is imperial blue like mine right?
Old 10-25-2013, 09:13 PM   #6
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
the vinyl overlay will not work unless you put filler in the holes if you have them. Id fill the holes. bondo or even JB Weld would work. you would have to sand it smooth.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:08 PM   #7
Floppydisk

Yeah just looked and it's 3/10. Oh well I guess I'll be picking up some bondo. As I am ignorant on the subject, what bondo product would you recommend?

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2013, 10:23 PM   #8
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Any regular body filler
http://bondo.com/products/automotive...iller-260.html
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:00 PM   #9
Floppydisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
Thanks man.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:10 PM   #10
Phillyone

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS Silver/Black Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCSSGT-RET View Post
Can anyone confirm this? I'd like to remove mine on my 2011, if it is hole free.

Purchased August 2013
Phillyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #11
Infinite-T

Drives: 2011 1LT RS RJT
Mine is an 11, built in 1/11. It did not have holes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyone View Post
Can anyone confirm this? I'd like to remove mine on my 2011, if it is hole free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
If you'd rather drive a civic that eats your soul than a camaro that eats your wallet then thats your choice.
Infinite-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #12
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
I ordered body color painted front and rear bowties for my car and replaced them both. Black car, black bowties, looks pretty good.

Just an option

Best pic I had of it, sorry
Old 10-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #13
KICKER

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS/RS WHITE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floppydisk View Post
I'm wanting to remove the back bowtie, but I have an early 2010. Everything I've read seems to say there's going to be two holes when I take it off. So I was wondering if one of those vinyl strips that black out the trunk lid would cover that without somehow showing the holes. Another option is the magnetic one, but I was concerned with that staying on and not moving or whatever. Also something potentially noteworthy is I'm thinking of either putting the camaro letters back there when I get it off, or putting an SS thing on it.
Here is a pic of painters tape over the 2 holes.
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2013, 08:18 PM   #14
KICKER

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS/RS WHITE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floppydisk View Post
Pic with SPARKS SS.
Attached Images