Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

AWE Tuning

Old Yesterday, 10:22 PM   #1989

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I think there is one glaring difference with EVs that has yet to be realized. Trying to compare EVs to ICE with the argument that they are just two different ways to power the same vehicle misses a big perception. It's true that small, non-powerful, compact ICE cars have not been recieved well and have not sold as well as their larger ICE cousins IMO would not be the same case with EVs.

Souless point A to B commuter vehicles would be an accepted and expected niche for EVs that ICE could not make palatable to consumers.

Gas savings, short trips, boring commutes, inexpensive MSRPs, zero maintenance, zero emissions, etc. are what EVs were expected to be in order to recieve wide acceptance.

The unfulfilled promise of a transition to EVs that would be "better" than ICE is missing this major opportunity. EVs have been coming out year after year more expensive and futily trying to compare themselves to ICE vehicles.

EVs can't do heavy lifting. Can't do long distances without smoke and mirror marketing, can't reproduce the sound, feel and pride of ownership of an ICE vehicle. They shouldn't try. Build and sell what EVs should be. Very inexpensive to buy and maintain, boring to drive but economical as hell. Trying to market 50-100K EVs as an alternative to ICE isn't cutting it.

EVs have squandered their chance to become popular. Year after year we hear that low-cost models are coming. But they never have and likely never will be offered. Not while they can milk all they can from what they build now.

ICE would have entry level models, with an eye on moving up. EVs have skipped this process to their detriment.

I can get an EV thrill at an indoor cart track or even with a golf cart. If I'm going to drive one on the street, it won't be an over-priced, high priced soon to be out-dated (by the maker's own admission) EV that I don't need.

I would buy one that is priced right just to get from point A to point B around town. The 10-20K BYDs will sell like hot-cakes.

My $.02 for now...lol
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote