Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-05-2024, 10:56 PM   #1
tatsandcats

Drives: 2014 Camaro RS LT
2014 Camaro No A/C or Heat

Hey guys, I’m getting slightly cooler than outside air when A/C is on (the snowflake) and am not getting any heat at all when turning the dial.

The temperature feels the same throughout all the vents (no change in temp between driver and passenger side)

Any ideas? What makes me think this is not the blend door is no change in air temperature out of vents at all when turning the temp dial and I’m feeling the same temp through all the vents when usually I see people complain of hot on one side and cold on another.

The A/C compressor is engaging like it should. Did hear a slight hissing noise when I turned the car off today from behind the vents.

What do you guys think? Appreciate any suggestions/help you could send my way!
tatsandcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 01:23 AM   #2
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Check freon levels before doing anything. The Camaro has an acknowledged leak in the high side port and GM advises changing this port on a yearly basis or replacing it with a port that uses a schrader valve.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 04:18 PM   #3
Mouse330

Drives: 2011 2SS, 2006 GMC Sierra
Sounds like to me that there's an issue with the temperature door or the temperature blend door actuator. Even If the A/C was flat you would still have heat. A scanner would be the best way to test, You could sweep the blend door and watch live data. You can also access the actuator which is under the dash on the drivers side. You would have to remove the left side console cover panel. you could place your hand on it KOEO and sweep the temperature control cold to hot and see if you can feel it moving. GL
Mouse330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 08:38 PM   #4
tatsandcats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse330 View Post
Sounds like to me that there's an issue with the temperature door or the temperature blend door actuator. Even If the A/C was flat you would still have heat. A scanner would be the best way to test, You could sweep the blend door and watch live data. You can also access the actuator which is under the dash on the drivers side. You would have to remove the left side console cover panel. you could place your hand on it KOEO and sweep the temperature control cold to hot and see if you can feel it moving. GL
I can feel the actuator moving I am starting to think it’s the blend door. Don’t really feel like paying for a diagnostic might just go the cheap way and cut under the dash..
Old 03-06-2024, 08:39 PM   #5
tatsandcats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Check freon levels before doing anything. The Camaro has an acknowledged leak in the high side port and GM advises changing this port on a yearly basis or replacing it with a port that uses a schrader valve.
Even if low on Freon or no Freon I would still have heat I think. AC line is getting ice cold in the engine bay I don’t think it’s low.
Old 03-07-2024, 12:22 AM   #6
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
The blend door on the Camaro is at a downward angle and when it breaks, it swings open or partially open due to gravity. The way the door works on the Camaro is that it opens to allow heat through and closes for ac. This is why the number one symptom of a broke blend door is heat and no ac or heat only on the drivers side and ac on the passengers.

If you turn the heat all the way up and you have no heat at all, then it is stuck in the closed position (which means it's not broke and you have an actuator issue) or you have a heater core issue. If you can also turn the ac all the way up and and have no ac, then you also have an ac issue and the simplest thing to check for this is the freon especially since GM has acknowledged the port leaks. Even if the freon level is too low to make the air cold enough to notice the difference, it would still make the ac line feel cold so don't make an assumption just based on the ac line.

So I stand by my statement to check freon level first before doing anything else and go from there.

Also remember you can check the door without cutting anything. The actuator is right above the gas pedal. You can take the actuator loose and see if the door is still attached in just a couple minutes.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 04:27 AM   #7
chevy pilot

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6
The blend door.
chevy pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 07:46 AM   #8
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
The blend door on the Camaro is at a downward angle and when it breaks, it swings open or partially open due to gravity. The way the door works on the Camaro is that it opens to allow heat through and closes for ac. This is why the number one symptom of a broke blend door is heat and no ac or heat only on the drivers side and ac on the passengers.

If you turn the heat all the way up and you have no heat at all, then it is stuck in the closed position (which means it's not broke and you have an actuator issue) or you have a heater core issue. If you can also turn the ac all the way up and and have no ac, then you also have an ac issue and the simplest thing to check for this is the freon especially since GM has acknowledged the port leaks. Even if the freon level is too low to make the air cold enough to notice the difference, it would still make the ac line feel cold so don't make an assumption just based on the ac line.

So I stand by my statement to check freon level first before doing anything else and go from there.

Also remember you can check the door without cutting anything. The actuator is right above the gas pedal. You can take the actuator loose and see if the door is still attached in just a couple minutes.
What do have I got going on? I put an aluminum blend door in this January. I get a nice range of HOT to mostly cool except...the two pass vents are slightly warmer than the driver's side. Is this just how the system is? I see people who put in a shut off valve on the heater hose, say they never had a colder AC.

My compressor is short cycling too. Not sure if it's low on reefer or the ambient temp is too cold. But it's not real cold AC.
Old 03-07-2024, 08:54 AM   #9
Jeff_SS
"Cam Only"

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
I'm having a very similar issue.
I finally got around to climbing under the dash and checking my blend door over the weekend. When I removed the blend door motor, the blend door seemed to still be all in one piece and I could turn it (to actuate it) with my hand no problem.
With the actuator motor removed and the car running I ran it from warm to cold and watched the actuator motor function as it should slowly spinning the piece that engages with the blend door.
When the car is running, I could manually (by hand) actuate the blend door and sure enough the air would blow cold, when I'd let go of the blend door and let it drop, the air returned to warm.

Test driving it to the parts store and back, with the air on the coldest setting, it still is inconsistent and will fluctuate from ambient air to cold back to ambient etc.

I spent $50 on a can of the r134a refill refrigerant thing from auto zone and attempted to recharge the system, but it had plenty of refrigerant (apparently) and the needle pointed to the red saying something else was an issue.

Maybe a line is clogged? Maybe it's overfilled? I guess my only next choice is to get a vacuum rental machine from autozone and try to empty the system completely then recharge it the right amount.

If that doesn't work I guess I'll take it to an A/C repair shop here in the Scottsdale area and try to have them diagnose the issue. Hard part is finding a shop that I could actually trust not to Ferris Bueller my car.
2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS M6 | LSA Blower, 2.5" pulley, 10% lower, FIC1000's, Fore Innovations Twin Pump fuel system w/ Flex Fuel, CMS Custom Grind Cam, Kooks 1 7/8" headers w/ catless off-road pipes, NPP Exhaust, 3.91's, JLT ZL1 Intake, Prospeed Heat Exchanger | Pfadt Suspension, 1LE Sway Bars | DSS 1000hp axles |
Tuned by Ryne @ CMS E85: 734rwhp/636rwtq (mustang dyno)
Jeff_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 09:46 AM   #10
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
I hear ya! I'm about ready to take mine in to have the AC serviced. I will probably need new tires when they're through 'testing the AC.' .
Old 03-09-2024, 04:24 PM   #11
Mouse330

Drives: 2011 2SS, 2006 GMC Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatsandcats View Post
Even if low on Freon or no Freon I would still have heat I think. AC line is getting ice cold in the engine bay I don’t think it’s low.
Yes you would, Remove the actuator and physically move the door and see what you got
Mouse330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 07:25 PM   #12
tatsandcats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse330 View Post
Yes you would, Remove the actuator and physically move the door and see what you got
It was the blend door! I just finished it up today. Originally tried without taking the seat out, what a terrible idea. My back is killing me. Got it all done for about $50 though! Thanks man.
Old 03-09-2024, 07:27 PM   #13
tatsandcats

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy pilot View Post
The blend door.
Ding ding ding ! Correct. Thank you
Old 03-09-2024, 07:29 PM   #14
tatsandcats

Thank you all for your replies and help. I love the Camaro community.

Tags
a/c, air, blend door, conditioning