Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 01-03-2014, 04:16 PM   #43
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
I appreciate the feedback everyone!

This is an alternate version. After struggling with trying to come up with a good design for the rear of the car I realized the side styling at the back was causing me too much hassle so I revised the side styling which is reflected in these snapshots. I also took note of the observation about rear passenger room and raised the roof a full inch. I did more work on the front too.

By the way, this color is my attempt to recreate a color from the 60's. My best friend in high school had a 1967 SS350 in a beautiful champagne metallic color which I've tried to reproduce here.

Name:  2020 Concept Camaro Alt6a1.jpg
Views: 2278
Size:  74.0 KB
Name:  2020 Concept Camaro Alt6a2.jpg
Views: 2278
Size:  67.4 KB
Name:  2020 Concept Camaro Alt6a3.jpg
Views: 3342
Size:  69.6 KB
Name:  2020 Concept Camaro Alt6a4.jpg
Views: 3910
Size:  69.5 KB

On the subject of colors, I call this one Astro Red. It does a nice job of showing off the contours of the car. For those of you who are Chevy history fans, I got the idea for this from the Chevy Astro 1 concept car.

Name:  2020 Concept Camaro Alt6b1.jpg
Views: 4213
Size:  73.0 KB
Name:  2020 Concept Camaro Alt6b2.jpg
Views: 3300
Size:  72.1 KB
Name:  2020 Concept Camaro Alt6b3.jpg
Views: 15589
Size:  68.0 KB
Name:  2020 Concept Camaro Alt6b4.jpg
Views: 15650
Size:  69.1 KB

Certain colors really pop on this style; I call this one Raging Pumpkin.

Name:  2020 Concept Camaro Alt6c1.jpg
Views: 3645
Size:  73.2 KB
Name:  2020 Concept Camaro Alt6c2.jpg
Views: 2312
Size:  78.8 KB
Name:  2020 Concept Camaro Alt6c3.jpg
Views: 2399
Size:  70.7 KB
Name:  2020 Concept Camaro Alt6c4.jpg
Views: 2612
Size:  73.0 KB

This shape just doesn't like the dark colors unfortunately. I tried gloss black and other dark colors but the styling details tend to just disappear. However a burgundy metallic does look pretty nice.

Name:  2020 Concept Camaro Alt6d1.jpg
Views: 2247
Size:  75.5 KB
Name:  2020 Concept Camaro Alt6d2.jpg
Views: 2582
Size:  65.5 KB

Keep in mind this shape as it is right now is a clean, pure shape without any aero pieces attached. Adding a front and rear spoiler along with a hood bulge will give it a much more aggressive look. I'll add those elements later but at the moment I'm concentrating on getting the basic shape right so if it doesn't look "muscular" enough or the car seems a bit conservative, stay tuned for updates to the look.

Thanks again to everyone viewing and participating!

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:17 PM   #44
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
(TO THE MODS: Since there isn't a category yet for concepts beyond 2016 I put this in here.)

I figure by now the 2016 Camaro is probably already designed. SOoo... just to start the new year off with a bang, here's my concept idea for 2020. However, now that I'm this far into it I realized it may actually work better as a Mustang. So I'd like to see what people think before I put anymore work into it.

Now before we get to the pictures I'll get the obvious reactions out of the way:

OMG IT LOOKS LIKE A VETTE!! A DODGE!! A FERRARI!! A MCLAREN!! A PINTO!! AN '83 BUICK!! MY TRUCK!!! Dude, WHAT were you THINKING!!???

Yes yes... I'm guilty. I deliberately designed it to look just like... a car...

Soooooo..... what do you guys (or gals) think? Does this style work as a Camaro or does it work better as a Mustang?

Camaro:
Attachment 587125
Attachment 587126

Mustang:
Attachment 587128
Attachment 587127

Here's the original concept side view drawing I started with:
Attachment 587129

With my previous 2016 concept I spent most of my time on the front and back and struggled with the side. This time I put most of my effort into the side and profile views. I took all the comments made in that previous concept thread and put them to use; more curves, more side detail, less square and boxy, etc. I also noticed a LOT of people really like the retro/heritage look so for this concept (at the moment anyways) I went with clearly identifiable styling elements for the front and back. I may change that up as I spend more time with it. This is a pure design with a fairly sophisticated styling on the sides. I didn't want anything frivolous but at the same time I didn't want it too plain.

This design concept seems to work better with bright colors I've noticed. The dark colors don't do so well on this shape.

Attachment 587130
Attachment 587131
Attachment 587132
Attachment 587135
Attachment 587133
Attachment 587134

The Camaro front is pure retro/heritage but that too may change:

Attachment 587136

I actually haven't put a lot of time into the front or back yet and there's detail and finishing work that needs to be done all over the place. This whole thing went from flat 2d drawing to what you see now in about 4 days; compare that to the 2 months it took me to get the 2016 concept together! Nothing like practice and knowing what you're doing!!

This design isn't "spacey" or gimmicky; it's intended to be a pure styling concept that's elegant, beautiful, classy and clean. If the consensus is this doesn't work as a Camaro, I'll make it a Mustang. I already have an idea for the front. If the majority like this as a Camaro, then too bad for the Ford crowd.

So whatchyall think?

Barracuda.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:58 PM   #45
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
Barracuda.
Hey , Fenderaddict2 see if you can foresee the sell numbers for the models above and the trends , it also be good if you can show us. YTD ,versus FORD & dog doge for that model year
Thanks in advance , way in advance :-(
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:52 PM   #46
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
I am really digging the front. Can you try the turn signals with more of a wedge shape?

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
Old 01-04-2014, 01:33 AM   #47
OperativeXIV

Drives: 2012 Summit White 2LT/RS
I like the idea but I'm not sure it works as either a Mustang or a Camaro. To me it looks more like it's in the same class as a Miata - a small, nimble car. To me there's something about the greenhouse that just looks.... bubbley (?) not sure how to describe it, but it's a design that doesn't denote the aggressive musculature you usually see in a pony car or muscle car, more like just a fun little sports car.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:05 AM   #48
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Sorry Doc - I know you have a lot of time in this but I think this is a classic lesson on why it takes more than knowledge of how to make a 3D model to design a car that the public would want to buy. The proportions all over the car are just ... off.

In this picture it looks decent - it kind of reminds me of a C4 Corvette.

But then this picture everything just looks wrong? It hits me as someone took a picture of a car and use the "pinch" and "squeeze" in photoshop to screw up the proportions.

The front bumper proportions are just all wrong. The side scallop looks too much like a Dodge Charger but it's also awkwardly positioned IMO. Everything about the rear ... no me gusta. Honestly about the only thing that I really like is the overall size and the greenhouse design.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:05 AM   #49
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
I am really digging the front. Can you try the turn signals with more of a wedge shape?

Thank you! Wedge in which way? Sharper outer corners or taller inner corners? Do you want the whole thing thicker or thinner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperativeXIV View Post
I like the idea but I'm not sure it works as either a Mustang or a Camaro. To me it looks more like it's in the same class as a Miata - a small, nimble car. To me there's something about the greenhouse that just looks.... bubbley (?) not sure how to describe it, but it's a design that doesn't denote the aggressive musculature you usually see in a pony car or muscle car, more like just a fun little sports car.
Well it's actually the same wheelbase as the current Camaro; 112 inches. Front track is 60" rear track is 61". One of the design goals was to improve driver visibility which is why it's open and airy looking. Considering that CAFE requirements may force GM to put a 4 cylinder engine in the Camaro by that time, would a base model car that's a "fun little sports car" be all that bad? Maybe it's not the asphalt-ripping V8 monster we all know and love today but a lighter, more nimble and a blast to drive car is not exactly a disaster. I think a car like that would sell very well. This is the base model. Keep in mind I'm going to add some aero pieces which will definitely give it a more aggressive look, but again we have to accept that things are going to change. I'm designing with that reality in mind; trying to create a shape that's clean, efficient and looks fast. I don't want to wind up with a government regulation car that looks like a government regulation car; the thing that happened to cars in the 70's when all kinds of new regulations hit the auto makers.

For everyone in general: GM actually views these threads so I think this is a great opportunity for us to give them some useful ideas and feedback to help them shape the future of the Camaro. Rather than just say we don't like something, let's try and give them ideas of what we DO like so we can give them something positive to work with.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 01-04-2014, 11:11 AM   #50
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by meissen View Post
Sorry Doc - I know you have a lot of time in this but I think this is a classic lesson on why it takes more than knowledge of how to make a 3D model to design a car that the public would want to buy. The proportions all over the car are just ... off.
Off in what way? I'm working to lean things down to a minimalist type level. People want weight reduction on the Camaro, well that's going to mean putting the body style on a diet. What would you like to see?

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 01-04-2014, 11:21 AM   #51
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by meissen View Post

In this picture it looks decent - it kind of reminds me of a C4 Corvette.

But then this picture everything just looks wrong? It hits me as someone took a picture of a car and use the "pinch" and "squeeze" in photoshop to screw up the proportions.

The front bumper proportions are just all wrong. The side scallop looks too much like a Dodge Charger but it's also awkwardly positioned IMO. Everything about the rear ... no me gusta. Honestly about the only thing that I really like is the overall size and the greenhouse design.
Wow, you're editing your post faster than I could respond lol. It's the software. The editor camera is a short range, short focus camera so it tends to have somewhat of a fisheye lens effect. That's the one I'm using when it's "inside" the garage I created. If I use a 105mm lens camera in an outside area the look changes to more like what it would really look like.

Does this look better? All I changed was the type of viewing camera.
Name:  concept 2020 105mm.jpg
Views: 2062
Size:  49.8 KB

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 01-04-2014, 11:27 AM   #52
BluePhoenix

Drives: 2020 GMC Sierra AT4
I don't know what you would call it. It looks like something from a brand new upstart car manufacturer. Maybe a kit sports car?

1100 - 3/23/2023
2000 - 3/27/2023
3000 - 3/28/2023
3400 - 4/12/2023 — 4/24 TPW
3800 - 4/28/2023
5000 - 5/30/2023
6000 - 6/03/2023

2020 GMC Sierra AT4 6.2L Black
BluePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:39 AM   #53
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Here's an example of how the "look" can change depending on the camera lens, distance and angle.

Name:  concept 2020 105mm2.jpg
Views: 1931
Size:  48.2 KB

Actually this kind of feedback helps me to know what kind of snapshots to take and post so people don't get the wrong impression of what this actually looks like. I'm working on it in multiple views in 3d so for me I don't see the distortion because I know what the shape actually is.

Good feedback!

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 01-04-2014, 11:46 AM   #54
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePhoenix View Post
I don't know what you would call it. It looks like something from a brand new upstart car manufacturer. Maybe a kit sports car?
Right now it's just a shape; finishing details like body part seams and production lines, little details like that are missing. Think of it as a drawing, except in computer CGI 3d.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 01-04-2014, 11:52 AM   #55
LiquidDragon

Drives: 2013 1LT RS
Still doesn't look like a camaro and more resembles a video game wannabe corvette. the front fenders still resemble the third gen corvette, doesn't look like its big enough to have a decent size backseat and the rims look like fake Ferrari wheels. also with the newer renderings with the headlights moved to the insides of the turn signals it doesn't look right. The front bumper and grill area needs to be changed because it just looks like a poor attempt at copying the current grill and bumper. Also your rendering is a wire covered rendering so with the seats you have in there they wont fit in a real world production car because body structure and interior panel pieces will eat up a lot of interior room and once done the seats you have wont fit.
LiquidDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:56 PM   #56
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Sorry, should fave been more clear. The side toward bowtie a little taller than the side toward the fender. Sort of following the contour of the grill more.

I think it looks pretty good considering it doesn't have the details yet.

Tags
2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation