Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 06-14-2017, 02:49 PM   #15
jdasnt3

Drives: 18 Silverado 1500
Great dilemma to be in, OP. Both are fantastic cars. I had a choice when I was 18 too: drive my Dad's 1980 Renault or walk. Pretty similar to you... LOL. I couldn't afford a nice car until 1998. I'm just grateful that I am able to afford the 2SS and gas/insurance/repairs now and a 15 and 12 SS LS3 prior. We also had a G8 GT and a GTO. So I cannot help you with the Mustang vs. Camaro, but I am a bit jealous that you can afford it at your age.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:55 PM   #16
L99BEN

Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malomari View Post
Hello,
I have always dreamt of owning a camaro especially when the 6th gen was released. I am going to buy a car in a couple of months but ever since i drove my friend's Mustang I have been torn between the two. I realize the camaro is superior performance wise, but you can not deny the Mustang in terms of practicality. It has a bigger trunk, better visibility, and a more roomy interior. I never drove the camaro but I sat in one. Is your camaro a daily driver? What issues do you face daily if any?
P.S: I am about 5'9" 18 year old.

Thanks.
Go drive the Camaro. I traded my stang gt and never looked back. The camaro sounds way better, clearly faster in a straight line from any speed, much better in the turns.
If you must, at least wait for the 2018 mustang gt, the 11-17's are inferior from a performance standpoint. Daily driver and visibility hasn't been an issue for me personally.
If planning on supercharging, the GT may be the better platform.

Past:
2022 Tesla S Plaid
2020 Shelby GT500 sold
2019 Hellcat Redeye-traded for new GT500
2019 ZL1 A10 - sold (meh)
2019 Tesla M3P
2016 Hellcat Challenger - A8 sold but never forgotten
2016 Camaro 2SS M6
2014 Mustang GT A6
2012 Mustang GT M6 "brembo" 3.73/FBO
2012 Camaro SS L99 (Wife's)
- slow

Last edited by L99BEN; 06-14-2017 at 03:15 PM.
L99BEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:04 PM   #17
reeper

Drives: 2010 HD D/A, 2015 Z06, 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malomari View Post
Hello,
but you can not deny the Mustang in terms of practicality. It has a bigger trunk, better visibility, and a more roomy interior.
Thanks.
If practicality is that big of a concern look at Malibu or Cruz and don't consider and Camaro or Corvette.
OEM Blackout tail-lamps
OEM SEMA Grille
35% window tint
Black glow-tie
BMR Suspension (Pretty much everything)
ACS rear-deck spoiler
Rotofab CAI
Lolly-pop red rotors by Madison Powder Coating
reeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:01 AM   #18
PhantomV8

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
In my personal opinion, if you are not getting the V8, get the Mustang. If you are looking at the V8 models, get the Camaro.
PhantomV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 02:55 PM   #19
camaromike77

Drives: S O L D
I've owned two Mustang GT's in the past. I now own a 2SS Camaro. To me it was a no brainer.......
Borla S-Type exhaust NPP| GM CAI | Color matched GM side skirts | Color matched 3rd brake light | Big Worm Graphics smoked out tail lights & rear reflectors | Oracle ghosted side markers | LED License plate bulbs | Door striker covers | Jam handle | Engine emblems from RiverCity Creations | 50th Center Console | Black bow ties | Hawk Performance ceramic brake pads | ZL1 Start button | CQuartz ceramic paint finish | Novistretch bra | S O L D
camaromike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:16 PM   #20
G2K
@Blackmamba_1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadicus View Post
I owned a 2015 Premium GT PP and I currently own a 2017 2SS. For me the performance difference was too much to overcome with the Mustang. Even with a tune and basic mods the Mustang was an inferior performer. I do like the interior of the Mustang better. It is easier to daily drive but since neither car is or ever will be a daily driver the Camaro was too good for me to pass up.
Are you talking stock SS vs modded GT? A friend has a GT PP wants to race my 1LE which is stock and im kinda evading him since i really dont want to put up with his trash talk everytime i see him if he beats me
G2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:24 PM   #21
G2K
@Blackmamba_1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
And to the subject i was in the loop too. MY best friend has a 17 GT PP so very familiar with it and the camaro is on another level. Visibility is something that you can definitely get used to. Eventually it will come around, only had mine for two weeks and still have a bit of trouble parking, because you literally cant see the curbs on the (passenger side is worse) unless you move the mirror. You either park to far or curb your wheels.... but again... practice and time makes perfect. Oh and like people say if you plan con heavy mods the mustang is king they did great things to that motor and the way it responds to mods... mainly because its a forged motor.... hate it that chevy didnt do this.... but for basic bolt ons and i would say "status" the camaro wins it. People enjoy seeing more my stock camaro 1LE than his modded GT
G2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 02:17 PM   #22
Quix

Drives: 2016 2LT V6 Garnet Red
I test drove both cars before buying a Camaro, the biggest practicality differences for me were the interior (Mustang is roomier and Camaro is more sporty, you sit right down inside the car). The Camaro's trunk is a reasonable size and the Mustangs is a bit bigger. Both have back seats that fold down so cargo space is fine. The back seat in both is useless, unless you have small children. I'm 6'4" and I'll fit in either provided the seat is adjusted correctly.

As for dailying the Camaro, I drive my car every day, and I haven't had any issues doing anything I want to do other than accommodating more than 2 people comfortably. I'm willing to deal with that. There are a few small things that can be annoying, the doors are huge and the car are really wide which will be an annoyance in parking lots. I have a V6 Auto and the fuel economy is really amazing, only about 20% worse in the same conditions than the Mazda 3 I used to drive. The V8 is probably a bit thirstier, but GM has done everything in their power to improve fuel economy. Cargo capacity is really good for a sports car, similar to a compact sedan. Visibility isn't bad forward and you can get used to reversing the car (with the camera) within a week.
Quix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 03:40 PM   #23
Obsol3te

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT PP M6
Just reiterating what everyone has said basically.
Stock for stock and even N/A vs N/A the camaro wins all around. I can't speak for visibility in the camaro or even the interior, I just heard it improved. Although the camaro is usually stickered a good amount higher than the mustang, if you can afford it go camaro.

But, if you plan on doing anything regarding forced induction, the mustang is a no brainer.
For the same price you'll have a car that makes a friendly 100-200whp more than a similarly modded camaro on street friendly pump gas.
And if you do go mustang, the MT82 manual transmission is trash, go auto. Enjoy slapping a whipple/kenne bell on and running 9's with your auto all day with minimal work

Lumar 35% Tint, UPR Floating Pony, MMD Decklid, BlackVue650GW Dash Cam
Obsol3te is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 12:57 PM   #24
Chadicus

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsol3te View Post
Just reiterating what everyone has said basically.
Stock for stock and even N/A vs N/A the camaro wins all around. I can't speak for visibility in the camaro or even the interior, I just heard it improved. Although the camaro is usually stickered a good amount higher than the mustang, if you can afford it go camaro.

But, if you plan on doing anything regarding forced induction, the mustang is a no brainer.
For the same price you'll have a car that makes a friendly 100-200whp more than a similarly modded camaro on street friendly pump gas.
And if you do go mustang, the MT82 manual transmission is trash, go auto. Enjoy slapping a whipple/kenne bell on and running 9's with your auto all day with minimal work
Getting an S550 GT to run 9s is not minimal work lol. Besides just adding F/I that car needs a ton of suspension and drivetrain mods plus some weight reduction.
Chadicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 01:07 PM   #25
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by G2K View Post
Are you talking stock SS vs modded GT? A friend has a GT PP wants to race my 1LE which is stock and im kinda evading him since i really dont want to put up with his trash talk everytime i see him if he beats me
He would need a really good tune, cai, GT350 IM/TB and/or headers, and a torque converter (if automatic) to hang with a stock SS. And a good tire. And possibly some upgraded axles. If he just has a cai and a tune and nothing else then you should obliterate him. Best thing to do is go out and practice your launches on a deserted road and get used to racing. Then when you're ready go to a track and settle it there.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 01:13 PM   #26
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

OP, I had a 15 Mustang GT. It was nice and all...I liked it. It was a Premium non-PP 401a option package. But the lack of performance out the box is just too depressing. Especially for a modern 435 hp car. Bone stock it did not even feel fast. The PP did because of the 3.73s. But with the 3.31s even in Sport or Track mode it was very underwhelming. And they handle like crap. It wasn't until I put the GT350 IM/TB and a tuned cai on it that it actually started to feel fast. The only thing I'll give the GT over the SS is that you can get a base model GT for very cheap. So if money is an issue and you plan to add LTs and IM and all other stuff to it, then get the GT and just deal with the slowness until you get your mods. But if you can afford the SS and you want crazy performance out the box then do yourself a favor and get the SS.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:20 PM   #27
keon718nyc

Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
OP, I had a 15 Mustang GT. It was nice and all...I liked it. It was a Premium non-PP 401a option package. But the lack of performance out the box is just too depressing. Especially for a modern 435 hp car. Bone stock it did not even feel fast. The PP did because of the 3.73s. But with the 3.31s even in Sport or Track mode it was very underwhelming. And they handle like crap. It wasn't until I put the GT350 IM/TB and a tuned cai on it that it actually started to feel fast. The only thing I'll give the GT over the SS is that you can get a base model GT for very cheap. So if money is an issue and you plan to add LTs and IM and all other stuff to it, then get the GT and just deal with the slowness until you get your mods. But if you can afford the SS and you want crazy performance out the box then do yourself a favor and get the SS.
+1 Great post and does make sense for sure!
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 02:24 PM   #28
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Seriously. Ford should be slapped for the Mustangs they been putting out recently. The came out hard in 11 with the Coyote. And then in 13 they came out even harder with the Shelby. And after that they took a nap. The GT is a dog. The GT350 can barely hang with the 1SS 1LE if it can even hang at all. The GT350R can't beat anything it was built to beat. The V6 and EB are jokes. It's like they aren't even trying. And even still, it is almost July and nobody knows what output the 18 GT will have. The GT500 is MIA and nobody knows if it will even make it out for the S550 body style. It's like the Mustang went Jenner on everyone. I wouldn't even bother with one of them until they get some testosterone back in their system. They're the joke of the performance world right now, lol!!

Tags
camaro, mustang