Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-13-2017, 07:32 AM   #85
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwisjw View Post
Why is a GT3 in SS and SSR, when the C5Z/C6GS/C6Z are in AS and SSR? Same logic could be applied. The 1LE with only 2 runs in my book, on different days seem competitive on the stock tires... Seeing the aforementioned alien driver that has been very dominant... however how would he do in a C5Z, hard to say.
Again, you guys are falsely assuming the OEM GY's are a sub par tire. They are very competitive, and provide 99% of the performance of the RE-71s not to mention they are much wider on 20" wheels! Which is exactly why guys aren't improving times by a noticeable margin just by switching to RE-71s.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:56 AM   #86
JRL1LE

As stated by Mark in post #43, the soonest the car will be reclassed is 1-1-2019, so we have time for more data to come out and be looked at.
JRL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:10 AM   #87
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRL1LE View Post
As stated by Mark in post #43, the soonest the car will be reclassed is 1-1-2019, so we have time for more data to come out and be looked at.
I still believe their change in the rule should allow them to make a move before that.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:45 AM   #88
jwisjw

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
Again, you guys are falsely assuming the OEM GY's are a sub par tire. They are very competitive, and provide 99% of the performance of the RE-71s not to mention they are much wider on 20" wheels! Which is exactly why guys aren't improving times by a noticeable margin just by switching to RE-71s.
So at a local practice, I was able to beat the 3rd place AS finisher at solo nats in 1 run and the car owner beat my time by 7 tenths, my personal experience, the car seems to be competitive to me. Also the 3rd place finisher has never beat the owner, period, in that car.

Just curious, what is your data?

Edit: one of the GY engineers at solo nats did say that the stock oe tires are competitive but you are still giving up time over a re71r or rival-s 1
5. Obviously you know the gearing differences would add time depending on the course.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:50 PM   #89
JRL1LE

Quote:
So at a local practice, I was able to beat the 3rd place AS finisher at solo nats in 1 run and the car owner beat my time by 7 tenths, my personal experience, the car seems to be competitive to me. Also the 3rd place finisher has never beat the owner, period, in that car.

Just curious, what is your data?

Edit: one of the GY engineers at solo nats did say that the stock oe tires are competitive but you are still giving up time over a re71r or rival-s 1
5. Obviously you know the gearing differences would add time depending on the course.
Jeff,

How about a test you guys can do.
You, Matt and Brian all try your cars.
Then we see how SS 1LE compares to Corvette with multiples drivers and how it compares to the F Street Camaro.
Might be some good data.
JRL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:42 PM   #90
Tom Tom

Drives: Honda Pilot Mercedes 190E and S320
Red face Noob 1st post re: 2.0T 6M reclassification and subjective driving experience

1st post, by an uber-NOOB.
Mark and others, this thread has not only inspired me to consider autocross, but to potentially by a new Camaro. Road racing at tracks near Los Angeles is just too dangerous IMO, never mind the cost.

The 2.0T 6M was and is a brilliant choice, given its low price, and time within 1.5 seconds of A street.

Are you concerned about the Camaro 2.0T 6M being reclassed in the future because of Mark's margin of victory at Nationals?
Is turbo lag an issue?
How do you like driving a 4 banger turbo on the street?

Have I exceeded the #of questions allowed by a rank Noob?
Thanks, Tom
Tom Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:38 PM   #91
dontlifttoshift

Drives: 71 Camaro '18 1LE
Soooo, this is the closest thing to an A Street thread.

The MRR 716 is the best option for a low cost, AS legal, 19" wheel, right? It doesn't look like Apex is going to make my deadline so before I pull the trigger, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Fun side note, latest FasTrack shows V6 1LE moving from BS to FS....possibly making room in BS......
Old 01-23-2018, 09:53 PM   #92
FNxR3DNECK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post

The MRR 716 is the best option for a low cost, AS legal, 19" wheel, right? It doesn't look like Apex is going to make my deadline so before I pull the trigger, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Fun side note, latest FasTrack shows V6 1LE moving from BS to FS....possibly making room in BS......
MRR 716s are 100% legal for AS on an SS 1LE! That's why I have a set sitting in my kitchen waiting for a set of 305/30/19 RE71Rs to go on them!

But yes they are stock widths and within the margin of allowable offset to be legal in street class so they are good to go!
Old 01-24-2018, 08:23 AM   #93
apexit53

Drives: 22 1SS 1LE Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post

Yep they should be legal. The rule is you can go down, or up a wheel size and offset has to be within 6 or 7 MM of factory offset. I cant remember the exact number.

I believe the v8 1LE offsets are 20mm front and 43mm rear.

Yes the V6 1LE is going to FS. Having been the one of the test subjects and getting to try a loclas V6 1LE we decided it could be an FS car and sent our results to the SEB for their votes. looks like the decided to move it to FS so good for them!
#53 F Street
2022 Sponsor autocrossdigits.com
Autocrossing Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-...3tiMt0KOg_2Aag
Instagram: apexit_53
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
2019 D Street national champion (2019 civic Type R)
apexit53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:26 AM   #94
jwisjw

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit53 View Post
Yes the V6 1LE is going to FS. Having been the one of the test subjects and getting to try a loclas V6 1LE we decided it could be an FS car and sent our results to the SEB for their votes. looks like the decided to move it to FS so good for them!
So is the V6 1LE essentially the SS but with a V6 motor and lighter in weight?

How prepped was the V6 1LE that was used as the data point?

What was the time delta?

Based on the website, GM suggests that it has the same suspension as the SS which I would think a FSB would change that car drastically based on your personal feedback of the FSB already?
Old 01-24-2018, 10:36 AM   #95
apexit53

Quote:
So is the V6 1LE essentially the SS but with a V6 motor and lighter in weight?

How prepped was the V6 1LE that was used as the data point?

What was the time delta?

Based on the website, GM suggests that it has the same suspension as the SS which I would think a FSB would change that car drastically based on your personal feedback of the FSB already?

That is correct the V6 1LE has our suspension and diff under it. thats about it. The only thing his did not have was a front sway bar and for some reason the v8 sway bars will not fit on the v6 so they have a larger bar built for the v6 1le. We did note that in the report that mine has a sway bar.

Cashmore and I both tested the v6. We put Karps wheels and tire on so all the cars were on the same size wheel and tire setup.

My fastest run of the day was a 55.750. My last run was .9 faster but i hit a cone early and went for broke. Last run of the year might as well go for it! hah. I then ran, off the event runs a 55.6 in mind for a data point with solostorm.

cashmore jumped into my car (v8)and managed a 55.9 on his second run and a 56.2 on his first.

We both jumped into the V6.

Mikes times: 56.7, 56.2
Jeffs times: 57.8, 57.0

data showed in one area the V8 was hitting about 3mph faster than the V6. The v6 felt a lot more nimble and you could left foot brake without icemode issue but the brakes were not nearly as responsive and were a lot more mushy feeling. We both realized you can just plant your right root in the car and it sticks with very little side out action but the v6 did not have the same grunt as the v8 obviously and lacked the power to dig out of corner. Even if it had a sway bar at no point was the v6 rear out of shape like the v8 is stock lol.
#53 F Street
Autocrossing Videos
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
Old 01-24-2018, 11:26 AM   #96
jwisjw

It baffles me that the 2.0T Stock Camaro, is faster than all of F-Street and this V6 1LE with a better overall package with improved gearing due to the 19" wheels is slower than a SS Camaro big a significant amount.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:41 AM   #97
apexit53

Quote:
It baffles me that the 2.0T Stock Camaro, is faster than all of F-Street and this V6 1LE with a better overall package with improved gearing due to the 19" wheels is slower than a SS Camaro big a significant amount.

agreed but keep in mind DS ran days 3-4 and was much warmer.

FS ran 2nd heat days 1-2 and it was much cooler. I had a hard time getting the power down both days until my last runs.

Also we all know Mark is a super fast guy... so there is that lol.
#53 F Street
Autocrossing Videos
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
Old 01-24-2018, 12:03 PM   #98
jwisjw

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit53 View Post
agreed but keep in mind DS ran days 3-4 and was much warmer.

FS ran 2nd heat days 1-2 and it was much cooler. I had a hard time getting the power down both days until my last runs.

Also we all know Mark is a super fast guy... so there is that lol.
DS did run 1st Heat though, not trying to argue and I do understand the different day run conditions.

Taking Weather Underground Data

Tuesday

Mean Temperature: 60 degrees

Wednesday

Mean Temperature: 58 degrees

Thursday

Mean Temperature: 64 degrees

Friday

Mean Temperature: 70 degrees

We all know that first group in Lincoln, no matter what is always cold.

So to sum up the V6 1LE, it is 1.3 seconds (scratch) slower than your SS Camaro?

Last edited by jwisjw; 01-24-2018 at 12:35 PM.
jwisjw is offline   Reply With Quote