Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-28-2013, 01:42 PM   #995
CAMARO_SS_2012

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Someone here mentioned saying the command "Voice" to bring up Siri on my bluetooth... I've been using it often now with my new iPhone, very convenient!

I could also just hold the home button down for 2 seconds, but where's the fun in that

2012 2SSRS Camaro Ashen Grey Metallic
CAMARO_SS_2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:58 PM   #996
scoticus.rex
LTC, USA

Drives: Hobbes - 2013 Camaro 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSizzle View Post
Remote start will not start the car if your check engine light is on. Also if you start it with remote start and open your hood, it will shut the car off. You can turn the car off by pressing the remote start button as well. Remote start shuts off after 10 min and can be restarted for an additional 10 min after that. After 2 cycles you must put the key in it to reset the system.
LOL... I discovered the opening the hood cutoff with remote start just yesterday.
scoticus.rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:46 PM   #997
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMARO_SS_2012 View Post
Someone here mentioned saying the command "Voice" to bring up Siri on my bluetooth... I've been using it often now with my new iPhone, very convenient!

I could also just hold the home button down for 2 seconds, but where's the fun in that
Works the same on my android phone. But I heard they changed it after 2012, so it doesn't work that way for model year '13 and newer.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:00 PM   #998
JEBariffic

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but when trying to make a call over bluetooth connection to my iphone, I say the voice command "call", then a name from my contacts, but it tries to dial a number instead and won't recognize the name. The work around is to say the command "Bluetooth" then "voice" which will then pass thru your voice commands to your iphone. It will then recognize names from address book and, in theory though I've not tried, also take voice commands for music playback.

Last edited by JEBariffic; 09-28-2013 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Typo
JEBariffic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:43 AM   #999
CAMARO_SS_2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEBariffic View Post
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but when trying to make a call over bluetooth connection to my iphone, I say the voice command "call", then a name from my contacts, but it tries to dial a number instead and won't recognize the name. The work around is to say the command "Bluetooth" then "voice" which will then pass thru your voice commands to your iphone. It will then recognize names from address book and, in theory though I've not tried, also take voice commands for music playback.
You need to set up a nametag for each number. Once set up, you can simply press the voice button and say "Call Home". It will recognized the nametag "Home" and dial the number immediately.

To set up nametags:
1) Press the voice button
2) A menu will pop up on the radio display. Select "Hands-free Calling"
3) Select "Directory"
4) Select "Store"
5) Say the entire phone number
6) Say the nametag

It's a bit time consuming to set it all up. I stored only the top 10 phone numbers I dial. But once set up, it's a lot faster than going through Siri. Be sure to come up with different names if the nametags sound similar, otherwise the car will have trouble differentiating them.

Also, if you have a iPhone 4s or higher, you don't have to say "Bluetooth"... you can go straight to Siri if you say "Voice" from the beginning.

Old 09-29-2013, 02:37 PM   #1000
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMARO_SS_2012 View Post
You need to set up a nametag for each number. Once set up, you can simply press the voice button and say "Call Home". It will recognized the nametag "Home" and dial the number immediately.

To set up nametags:
1) Press the voice button
2) A menu will pop up on the radio display. Select "Hands-free Calling"
3) Select "Directory"
4) Select "Store"
5) Say the entire phone number
6) Say the nametag

It's a bit time consuming to set it all up. I stored only the top 10 phone numbers I dial. But once set up, it's a lot faster than going through Siri. Be sure to come up with different names if the nametags sound similar, otherwise the car will have trouble differentiating them.

Also, if you have a iPhone 4s or higher, you don't have to say "Bluetooth"... you can go straight to Siri if you say "Voice" from the beginning.
Wow. That seems like a lot of work. Not sure if the iPhone is completely different, but on my GS3, all I have to do, once the phone is connected via Bluetooth, is:

Press the call button on the steering wheel
After the car says, "Ready" and beeps, I say "voice"
The car opens voice commands on my phone (similar to Siri), and beeps
I say "Call xxxxxx, mobile" and the phone calls the mobile (or home, or work, or whatever I say) number of that person.

Done. I press one button, say a few words, and the call is made. No setup required, beyond my phone's contact list.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #1001
CAMARO_SS_2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic View Post
Wow. That seems like a lot of work. Not sure if the iPhone is completely different, but on my GS3, all I have to do, once the phone is connected via Bluetooth, is:

Press the call button on the steering wheel
After the car says, "Ready" and beeps, I say "voice"
The car opens voice commands on my phone (similar to Siri), and beeps
I say "Call xxxxxx, mobile" and the phone calls the mobile (or home, or work, or whatever I say) number of that person.

Done. I press one button, say a few words, and the call is made. No setup required, beyond my phone's contact list.
Yeah, like I mentioned, you can use Siri or this method, whatever suits you. The previous poster was asking why saying "Call XXX" did not directly dial the number and this is the reason why.

Set up doesn't take long, but I also use Siri for my non-stored numbers.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:36 PM   #1002
SnowyCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1, 2006 Chevy Equinox
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTXrider View Post
The first pull of the handle unlocks the door, the second pull opens the door. This is pretty common to a lot of cars.

My first car (BMW 3 series) was the first car with this, but the way it was designed was later made illegal because their way involved no mechanical parts, so in the case where electrical systems failed (like driving into water or something) the doors were impossible to open. Nevertheless I love the double handle pull, was very happy when I discovered the Camaro had it as well.

I think my favorite thing is the extra circuit in the driver side fuse box in the v6 for adding lighting etc, and the firewall pass through so i dont have to drill anything .

Also another tip, if you are using an iphone as a gps on google maps app, and listening to your tunes through the phone / headphone jack, google maps will actually dim the music down and direct you where to go through the car stereo, almost like having onboard gps!
Old 09-29-2013, 09:42 PM   #1003
Squillo

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS BRM LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1chasingspeed View Post
They just go through the functions from the radio to xm satelite radio, which I don't subscribe to, so pretty much a useless function on my car. UGGGHHHH!!!!!!
Pressing the wheel changes the band you're listening to. Rotating it up or down changes the stations within that band (or goes to previous / next song if on iPod).
Squillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:56 PM   #1004
Mr pogo

Drives: 96 Imp SS, 13 Camaro 2SS AGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowyCamaro View Post
Also another tip, if you are using an iphone as a gps on google maps app, and listening to your tunes through the phone / headphone jack, google maps will actually dim the music down and direct you where to go through the car stereo, almost like having onboard gps!
this works on bluetooth also.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:16 AM   #1005
JEBariffic

Thanks for taking the time, CAMERO_SS. Not a difficult process for a couple top numbers. And maybe some that were deemed unworthy enough to ride in the car might get the consolation of being worthy enough for a speed dial setup.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:04 AM   #1006
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
If you constantly drive 20mph over the speed limit your rear window will sometimes be filled with flashing lights, either Blue, Red, or even Blue and red at the same time.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:55 AM   #1007
CAMARO_SS_2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEBariffic View Post
Thanks for taking the time, CAMERO_SS. Not a difficult process for a couple top numbers. And maybe some that were deemed unworthy enough to ride in the car might get the consolation of being worthy enough for a speed dial setup.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:07 AM   #1008
JEBariffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
If you constantly drive 20mph over the speed limit your rear window will sometimes be filled with flashing lights, either Blue, Red, or even Blue and red at the same time.

Would more speed reduce that undesired effect?