Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 12-19-2014, 04:33 PM   #15
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam346 View Post
this was posted on gminsidenews The Good News: Z/28 Will Return. The Bad????????????

I'll tell you guys something, getting info on the 6th generation Camaro has been tough. GM has been so tight on this, that their shoes squeak when they walk. But over the past few months I've been able to piece together a few tidbits.

It looks like the Z/28 will return in 6th gen guise. That's the good news. The news that maybe I'm not so thrilled about is that it appears that the Z/28 will take a page out of the C7 Z06 playbook. That being, supercharged V8, wide body, lots of aero doo-dads.

I was really hoping for a purer representation of the Z/28 paradigm.

Is this what we REALLY want the Z/28 to be? Didn't we already go through this with the 5th gen Z28 -------> ZL1?

This is what i've been saying for months

It will be awesome.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:48 PM   #16
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
Guess Im the only one, but Im failing to see the problem with the possibility of Z/28 handling coupled to ZL-1(and more) HP levels? Lol. That equals DOMINANCE in my book.

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:54 PM   #17
Autonaut

Drives: El camino
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserO2Evils View Post
Guess Im the only one, but Im failing to see the problem with the possibility of Z/28 handling coupled to ZL-1(and more) HP levels? Lol. That equals DOMINANCE in my book.
The problem is that adding a supercharger or turbo adds a lot of weight and complexity.
In general, forced induction cars are not used for racing as they need massive amounts of cooling. Most often these cars experience heat soak after a few laps. Horsepower is lost and the vehicle stays nose heavy.

This is the reason why i would prefer a NA Z/28
Less weight. Better weight distribution. Less complexity.

You dont nedd 600 horsepower to be fast on a race track. You need balance. Something GM exelled in when they built the Z/28.. A balance if power and handling.
Autonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 07:09 PM   #18
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I have a feeling that the ZL1 almost became the Z/28 because they couldn't use the LS7. When the C6 ended and they no longer needed the LS7, it became available for the Camaro.
I believe it was more about timing. The ZL1 was in development when they were hit by bankruptcy causing it to be released much later than intended. The Z/28 was given the go ahead after the great sales success of the Camaro provided the funding for that project.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:30 PM   #19
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autonaut View Post
.You dont need 600 horsepower to be fast on a race track. You need balance. Something GM exelled in when they built the Z/28.. A balance if power and handling.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:30 PM   #20
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autonaut View Post
The problem is that adding a supercharger or turbo adds a lot of weight and complexity.
In general, forced induction cars are not used for racing as they need massive amounts of cooling. Most often these cars experience heat soak after a few laps. Horsepower is lost and the vehicle stays nose heavy.

This is the reason why i would prefer a NA Z/28
Less weight. Better weight distribution. Less complexity
Fair nuff. I didnt realize we had so many track racers here.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:43 PM   #21
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Fair nuff. I didnt realize we had so many track racers here.
Whether people race them or not is irrelevant. The Z/28, and I mean the real Z/28, was about track racing. Changing the Z/28 away from that to chase a few more sales is stupid. Especially when you have cars like the ZL1 or 1LE.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:00 AM   #22
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Quote:
Whether people race them or not is irrelevant. The Z/28, and I mean the real Z/28, was about track racing. Changing the Z/28 away from that to chase a few more sales is stupid. Especially when you have cars like the ZL1 or 1LE.
That is, of course, ASSUMING we will have said 1LE and ZL1. Some of yall are doing an aweful lot of assuming. There is(obviously) much more going on behind the scenes than we are aware of, and for reasons unbeknownst to us, the 1LE and/or ZL1 may not make the cut for the 6th Gen.
And I agree. Whether people race them or not, IS irrelevent; however, SALES are VERY relevant! In a capital market anything that makes "a few more sales" is called "REVENUE"... Not "stupid". At least according to the bean counters at GM. I can tell you, from personal experience, I would not buy a current Z/28 or ZL1. I WOULD; however, buy a supercharged Z28(assuming more than the current 580hp). That would be a dream come true. Best of both worlds. There are MANY FI cars running the track every day. GMs eneineering department is top notch. If ANYONE can make it work, GM can. Have more faith. You may be surprised!

Old 12-20-2014, 12:26 AM   #23
Autonaut

Drives: El camino
Quote:
Exactly!
Autonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 12:50 AM   #24
Sesiom Summers

Drives: 94 Z28 / 01 Z28 / 2015 50th GT
Send a message via MSN to Sesiom Summers
why I have this horrible felling that GM will start to mix the trims again? like the 4th gen? ... if that happen no way Ill get a 6 gen "Z/28"... even if I own a "z28" from 2001 I´ve saving my money to buy a next gen ZL1... but if it become a z/28 supercharger It would be sad... and weird... at least I hope they keep the 1LE ... ohhh this horrible felling is growing...

Old 12-20-2014, 01:48 AM   #25
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
The 5th gen has been an overwhelming success story for GM and Chevrolet so why would they need to change the formula going forward is my question to the speculators.

GM will have more engine variations from the LT based engines and when the rear engined C8 Zora ZR1 Corvette comes to market with its new engine package to be sold along side the C7 we will definitely see some unique power trains for the future. I believe that the current C7 Z06 is just a stopgap for the C8 Corvette and we should not read too much into what it means for a C6 Camaro Z/28.

Remember GM has already approved a whole new V8 engine family for Cadillac so I would not bet against Chevy getting a special V8 for use in the near future that had its own unique size and hp and not take away from Cadillac's exclusivity if they need too. JMHO.

The Z/28 will not be diluted from what we have established now as far as track focused being its primary goal.

The future is so bright that I gotta wear shades!!

Last edited by RLHMARINES; 12-20-2014 at 02:12 AM.
RLHMARINES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 02:24 AM   #26
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
That is, of course, ASSUMING we will have said 1LE and ZL1. Some of yall are doing an aweful lot of assuming. There is(obviously) much more going on behind the scenes than we are aware of, and for reasons unbeknownst to us, the 1LE and/or ZL1 may not make the cut for the 6th Gen.
And I agree. Whether people race them or not, IS irrelevent; however, SALES are VERY relevant! In a capital market anything that makes "a few more sales" is called "REVENUE"... Not "stupid". At least according to the bean counters at GM. I can tell you, from personal experience, I would not buy a current Z/28 or ZL1. I WOULD; however, buy a supercharged Z28(assuming more than the current 580hp). That would be a dream come true. Best of both worlds. There are MANY FI cars running the track every day. GMs eneineering department is top notch. If ANYONE can make it work, GM can. Have more faith. You may be surprised!
Yes, Im assuming they will build a 1LE and ZL1 because both of those badges made huge strides in turning the Camaro into a serious performance car. Let's face it, the base SS wasn't exactlu setting the world on fire, performance wise. It would be a mistake not to build upon the foundation they have from the current cars.

Building a supercharged Z/28 would be a mistake. There is no reason to once again change the car when they have the ZL1 badge now. The ZL1 is no slouch but the weight is killer. Drop a big chunk of weight and it would completely change the car.

Leave the Z/28 alone if you can't continue with the 5th gen formula.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:29 AM   #27
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
The 5th gen has been an overwhelming success story for GM and Chevrolet so why would they need to change the formula going forward is my question to the speculators.
Quote:
Yes, I'm assuming they will build a 1LE and ZL1 because both of those badges made huge strides in turning the Camaro into a serious performance car...

...Building a supercharged Z/28 would be a mistake. There is no reason to once again change the car when they have the ZL1 badge now.
In the 5th gen, Chevy built serious brand cache' in the 1LE, ZL1 and Z/28 names. Say each and car enthusiasts know exactly what its strength is. There is no advantage in blurring the lines between them.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 10:16 AM   #28
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
GM is continually evolving.

Not sure why everyone thinks that 1 year or 2 years from now it will ONLY be LT1 and LT4.

GM has now demonstrated that they can do an LF4 off of the LF3 only a year after it was launched.

Highly likely there will be more to choose from down the road.

If it's as OP suggests, then it's just a ZL1 with CC brakes. Meh!

Remember the ZL1 WAS the Z/28 until GM decided the Z/28 needed to be a more pure track car and steps were taken to continue the LS7. That was a HUGE deal, so I'm counting on the same steps being taken here, although I do hope for a more street oriented version than todays Z/28.

The Z06 is a different story. That is now a true super car and with the convertible and an automatic transmission.

When I worked on the C6 Z06 my team removed the power cinching decklid latch to save 2 pounds!!! It was put back in as the woosie customers complained about closing efforts. So that car, even in it's C6 version became less and less of a PURE track car adding many options back in that were removed.

Do not fall victim to not knowing what GM is doing and assuming all they can do is all you know about. I'm sure there is a lot in the works behind the curtain.