Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-16-2014, 11:13 AM   #29
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
...all of which were still fairly decent performance-wise. The only SS of that era that was really nothing special was the Malibu SS.

The F-body went away because sales were tanking. It's simple as that really.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:29 PM   #30
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
Most real enthusiests(myself included) were not in the market for "fairly decent performance". That is why we bought Fbodys over GTs in the 1st place. Low sales came 2nd to contract expiration w/the Canadian plant and new upcoming safety requirements that were not possible on the (then) current platform. My mentality was always instead of investing in oddities and b#stard children vehicles,(above mentioned vehicles) devote that energy to a revamp THEN, instead of 5yrs later. There are no 2 ways around it, GM left us hanging back then. Removed the only GENUINE performance oriented vehicle that a working man could afford, and started passing trite vehicles as an "SS".

All Im getting at is that when I see Lutz name, it brings back memories of a very dark time for people like me who were fighting the good fight against Mustangs.

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 12:16 PM   #31
rimhof

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
I had a 2009 Cobalt SS before it was totaled and I bought my 2014 Camaro SS...it was a surprisingly fun car to drive. To be a serious competitor to the WRX though they really should have made it AWD. Front wheel drive with torque steer sucks.
rimhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 02:15 PM   #32
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
That is the oddity of the Cobalt SS. It staged itself to compete with the turbo import market with a turbo 4, but then didnt supply the traction to compete with vehicles like the WRX, EVO, and whatever other rice that was popular at that time(its been awhile!lol) A buddy of mine won one in a bracket racing series up in Utah. It was a ton of fun, for sure!

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 05:20 PM   #33
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Thanks for the correction.............on cachet

No where does it state in your quote that China loves Buick because it is an American brand. Which was my point. So it was your opinion I was discussing, not GM's because Bob Lutz agrees with me.

I've said for years that Buick hurts GM in the US. It keeps Cadillac from going down market to compete with the Audi A3, BMW 2 and the MB CLA.

It keeps Chevrolet from making the best cars it can. For example:

Want a 2.0 T in your Cruze? Nope! Buy the Verano.

Want the Hyper link front and linked H-arm rear suspension on your Impala? Nope! Buy the Lacrosse.

Want a great Malibu with style? Nope! Buy the Regal

And again thank you so much for correcting me on cachet.
This nails it. Buick is a distraction for GM and customers alike.

However I would add that there is some rational for Buick (in the US market) to sell to customers that want a luxury front wheel drive car to get them around. These people don't want to be seen in a Chevy, but then a Cadillac is too ostentatious. Buick could also spearhead the high end electric/eco/hybrid, which also fits the demographic.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:03 PM   #34
Z/284ever

Drives: A few Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorfmac View Post
I would love to have a more "luxurious" Camaro, but rather than creating a whole new vehicle under the Buick nameplate, it would just make more sense to add a luxury package/trim to the Camaro. With all of the different levels we already have, why not just add another?
This is what Chevy had in mind when they ripped-off the Berlinetta name from Ferrari:

A fast, luxurious, coupe. Something was sort of lost in the translation on the Camaro Berlinetta. I wouldn't mind seeing a modern Berlinetta, one that was done right - but that would essentially be a loaded SS in today's terms.

Trivia: The Camaro SS was replaced by the Camaro LT and the LT by the Berlinetta in the '70's.
Z/284ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:15 PM   #35
Z/284ever

Drives: A few Camaros
As far as Buick goes, there have been so many rumors for so many years. The rumor many years ago was that Buick would get an Alpha based Riv convertible, that fizzled. A couple years ago there was a rumor that Buick would get a restyled Alpha Camaro, kind of like a Buick Firebird of sorts. That fizzled. As Fenwick mentioned, later the rumor was that the next gen Regal/Insignia would be Alpha based. That fizzled.

Honestly, if Buick ever gets an Alpha based car - I'd have to see it to believe it.
Z/284ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:41 AM   #36
slvrsrpnt

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
slvrsrpnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:20 AM   #37
69LM1

Drives: 2014 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z/284ever View Post

Trivia: The Camaro SS was replaced by the Camaro LT and the LT by the Berlinetta in the '70's.
http://www.nastyz28.com/camaro/camaro73.html

The LT was odd. Starting in 73, the "Type LT" could be ordered with the RS or the Z28 package, thus you could have a Type LT/RS/Z28 Camaro, but you never could have a Z28/SS Camaro.

The SS Model was removed from the lineup. The LT was listed as a replacement, but had nothing to do with performance, but appearance. However, so did the RS package, and you could get an LT/RS.

If you Ordered the Type LT and the Z28 RPO's, the Type LT oddly enough took precedence and you did not see any Z28 badges.

http://www.nastyz28.com/2gcog/emblem.html

Quote:
1973 Type LT emblems are unique. They are located on the right side of the front valence, rear sail panel and rear light panel. If the Type LT was combined with the Z28 option, the Type LT emblems trumped or replaced any external Z28 identification.
It is odd that the docs say the Type LT replaced the SS, when the name LT means "Luxury Touring"

Just another GM oddball.

Rich
69LM1 is offline   Reply With Quote