Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Thread Closed

Old 01-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #141
Devils950003

Drives: 2013 IOM ZL1
Meh, I don't have a problem with non-ZL1 Camaros adding ZL1 body effects. Like others have said, it's a form of flattery, a way of saying "I really like the ZL1 front bumper or hood or whatever, so much so I think my SS or LT or whatever would look that much hotter with them installed." Just don't false-badge it. I'll always hate false-badging and always will, for two simple reasons:

1) The non-enthusiast isn't going to notice your fake badges anyway, and

2) The enthusiast will likely figure out very quickly that you're trying to pass your car off as something it's not.

If I saw a cool-looking SS with a ZL1 front bumpers, I'd think nothing but "Nice SS, and the ZL1 bumper really looks sweet on that, adds a little something."
Old 01-29-2013, 04:25 PM   #142
Tysen

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils950003 View Post
Meh, I don't have a problem with non-ZL1 Camaros adding ZL1 body effects. Like others have said, it's a form of flattery, a way of saying "I really like the ZL1 front bumper or hood or whatever, so much so I think my SS or LT or whatever would look that much hotter with them installed." Just don't false-badge it. I'll always hate false-badging and always will, for two simple reasons:

1) The non-enthusiast isn't going to notice your fake badges anyway, and

2) The enthusiast will likely figure out very quickly that you're trying to pass your car off as something it's not.

If I saw a cool-looking SS with a ZL1 front bumpers, I'd think nothing but "Nice SS, and the ZL1 bumper really looks sweet on that, adds a little something."
Agreed. However, so many people are doing this bumper swap. I may have to go with Rideskinz. I did like what AustinJames did with his ZL1 bumper though. (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263426)
Old 01-29-2013, 04:32 PM   #143
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
A lot of old timers would disagree with your definition of "muscle car" (even though you sound like one yourself ) (no offense). This has been debated so much it's nauseating. I can't tell you how many times I've been told that they don't make muscle cars anymore, they stopped making them in the early 70's. In my personal opinion, I think the proper terminology is a "high perfomance vehicle" or some have used Modern Muscle - that would be acceptable also. Back in the day(60's & 70's, &80's), the Camaro and Mustangs were associated in magazines as PONY cars, and I think they are still in that class.
Lol.. yeh I'm getting a bit older but not over the hill yet at 42.

Ive had early Camaros and 80s Camaros and now a 13. and 6 Mustangs dating back to 1968 all the way to 2003.

To me it is just as much muscle as it was in 67-69 especially the last gen where muscle cars made a complete resurgence.
530/520 SAE
Old 01-30-2013, 07:19 AM   #144
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tysen View Post
Agreed. However, so many people are doing this bumper swap. I may have to go with Rideskinz. I did like what AustinJames did with his ZL1 bumper though. (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263426)
I like what he did too, very sharp, clean looking.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:44 AM   #145
Blk-Ice
750HP of Twisted Reaper!

Drives: Blk 2SS/Blk Carb Fibr NS-1 stripes
Show me your Clone Face!!!!
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2013, 08:58 AM   #146
DandDC09

Drives: '10 2LT/RS, '13 Malibu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
OP, I respect your opinion here and you certainly are free to feel the way you do. I simply fail to see how somebody modding their Camaro by adding ZL1 parts makes your ZL1 ownership experience less satisfying in any way.

I mean, modifying cars has always been one of the hallmarks of this enthusiast community. If some other Camaro owner wants to add ZL1 parts to their car, who are we to be somehow put out by this? More power to them. I think some could see this as a bit of a pompous position. Not everybody can or feels like dropping $60K on a ZL1. If there is some bolt on somebody likes and can add it to their car for a few hundred dollars, they should have easy access to these parts.

^THIS!^
Old 01-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #147
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
It can be looked at from different angles too.

I have an SS but can beat a stock ZL1 all day long at the drag strip AND maybe even a road race or two with my engine and suspension mods.

So why should a ZL1 owner get to have characteristics that make them appear to be faster.

Ok, I'm just playing.

no im not

Yes I am.

I actually see where the OP is coming from. But the way we are headed as a people is contrary to that. Hell, enjoy the status you've earned while there still is status to be had.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:49 AM   #148
kbui

Drives: 85 Vette, 07 Escalade ESV, 03 GMC,
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post
I might have said or came across it the wrong way. My intentions aren't bad, I swear, lol.

I guess I keep asking myself why do I not see Corvette owners imitating ZR1's? or CTS owners, imitating CTS-V's? Maybe they are in fact out there but not in strong force like the Camaro. I understand the whole modifying, etc. I have modified my previous vehicles but none of them imitated anything I guess, I wanted to stay away from that because I've never been that type of person or understood why.

A member did say it right though, imitation is a form of flattery. Maybe i'm asking for the wrong thing. Maybe I should be asking GM to consider making a ZL1 package similiar to what Shelby has done for the Super snake and the only way to obtain that would be to require a ZL1 VIN #. A (codename ZL1-R) package in 2-3 different stages? 630hp/680hp/750hp? Just a thought though. Aftermarket companies already have this being offered but for me it isn't the same as GMPP offering it, while remaining the factory warranty.

Another problem you may not thought of: earlier buyers didn't have some of these features available to them. With some of these modded SS, alot of guys that have spent more money than a ZL1. Heat extraction, aerodynamic parts, brake ducts, suspensions, exhausts.....are all parts GM SHOULD make available to early adopters. H***, if all the guys that modded their cars would have waited until GM release the "good" model, the Camaro might not have been as successful. Beside, the loaded ZL1 costs less than my Escalade ESV. A $50k can not be considered exclusive.

ADM Performance installed and tuned: Maggie, Stainless Works Power LTs, ADM race cai, ADM ZL1 scoop
Whiteside Customs Super Street 2 Package w/ coilovers
BC Racing Coilovers and lowered, Whiteline Bushings & Swaybars
MBRP catback exhaust, ZL1 bumper conversion, Drake billet shifter, Hurst paddles, NLP rear spoiler, OEM GFX, Vis Racing hood, ASA GT5 wheels
Old 01-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #149
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
GM, just me personally but id take some consideration into making the ZL1, Z/28 models (or whatever high end model you deicde to go with) harder for others to make there LS/LT/SS into them. It may be impossible but owning several models I've never been the type to slap other models parts on it to make it a clone(unless it was produced that way from factory, i.e 1LE). It may be harder to manufacture but making it extremely difficult would deter others to clone.

Some may disagree but owning a ZL1 I've seen alot of cloning/copying going on as of lately, from the 1LE/ZL1 rims, to ZL1 conversion kits. It makes owning an actual ZL1 alittle less pleasing. I understand rims being easy to buy but making exterior changes to the body dramatically will make people think twice about doing major modifications. Simple bolt-on parts are what is making people do it, take that way, and that'll cure that issue. I understand you'll stay have the die hard cloners but giving them some speed bumps could be easy. Just like its hard for others to install the mylink Nav into older models the same could be done for other areas.

Just my thoughts and opinions. Thanks.
seriously?

boo hoo....

people buy what they can afford and mod to their taste.

Lambos have been cloned in kit cars for years, as have Ferrari, Porsche, Aston Martins and many other high priced exotic cars.

Not everyone can afford the high end model, and as I recall "Imitation is the highest form of flattery"

So who gives a rats ass if they put a fascia on it..

-------

Now if they are upbadging a base or SS with ZL-1 badging, yes I will agree that is in poor taste, but the only person they are embarrassing is themselves.

Personally I think everyone needs to stop worrying about what other people do and start to look a whole lot harder at themselves. Why is it anyone's business how someone else decides to modify THEIR car that THEY paid for.

Now, if you want to fork over some cheddar for my mods I will be more than happy to let you decide what I can and can't do.. But until that happens.. Mind your own business.

---

And for the record, I would never put ZL-1 parts on my SS, but I won't mock those that do.

lastly I didn't read the whole thread, only the first page, so if I am repeating thoughts and sentiments already conveyed, sorry.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #150
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
I will post again... change the badges too. What has happened to people's commitment these days?!
Old 01-30-2013, 02:24 PM   #151
THR ZL1 #1
Perma Grinning

Drives: 2012 Tom Henry Racing ZL1
Imitation is the highest form of flattery . .
Old 01-30-2013, 02:49 PM   #152
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I've been thinking about this, and a true ZL1 clone would take some serious work. You'd have to buy a ZL1 hood, which includes carbon fiber and is prohibitively expensive; a front fascia, which people have been doing on all trims; a different spoiler; a different diffuser with a quad-tipped exhaust; different wheels; and then you'd still have to do the performance upgrades to complete the clone. To make a poser ZL1 would be some serious work. I know the fascia is the most noticeable attribute of the ZL1, but all of that other work would still be missing. Even if someone went with hydrocarbon instead of carbon fiber, the obviousness of clone would render it pointlessly expensive and would fail to fool discriminating enthusiasts.
warn 145:159 ban
Old 01-30-2013, 03:02 PM   #153
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
Now you've done it!! We usually don't feed PQ.

Quote:
PQ, I understand where your coming from. You got a point!
Ya, and I agree with you in some ways. We don't comb our hair and get dressed up to not be noticed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I've been thinking about this, and a true ZL1 clone would take some serious work. You'd have to buy a ZL1 hood, which includes carbon fiber and is prohibitively expensive; a front fascia, which people have been doing on all trims; a different spoiler; a different diffuser with a quad-tipped exhaust; different wheels; and then you'd still have to do the performance upgrades to complete the clone. To make a poser ZL1 would be some serious work. I know the fascia is the most noticeable attribute of the ZL1, but all of that other work would still be missing. Even if someone went with hydrocarbon instead of carbon fiber, the obviousness of clone would render it pointlessly expensive and would fail to fool discriminating enthusiasts.
Hell, if you do all of THAT work I say you earned the right to pose.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #154
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
And the badges, don't forget the badges. Which by the way has always been a part of serious clone efforts.

Closed Thread