#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Phastek Performance

Old 03-09-2015, 07:10 PM   #85
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
The 04-06 GTO was a car that very much lived up to the name in every aspect but one. It didn't appease the moron baby boomers. Everyone wanted a retro muscle car, similar to what we Camaro lovers got with the 5th gen. Instead, they got a car that looked like a Pontiac Grand Prix.

The GTO was a great looking car, had all the power you really needed (save for that terrible A4 transmission), and is still a well sought after car even now.
Completely agree. Great car if you could accept it for what it was. A rebadged existing car offered to fill the void caused by the f body's demise. GM wasn't going to design a car specifically for the GTO name then and they aren't going to do it now to make the GN look "80s". Same deal with the SS

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:40 AM   #86
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
The 04-06 GTO was a car that very much lived up to the name in every aspect but one. It didn't appease the moron baby boomers. Everyone wanted a retro muscle car, similar to what we Camaro lovers got with the 5th gen. Instead, they got a car that looked like a Pontiac Grand Prix.

The GTO was a great looking car, had all the power you really needed (save for that terrible A4 transmission), and is still a well sought after car even now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q'smuscle View Post
Yup! Nice performer ! Just bland exterior that looks like a stretch cavalier to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
Completely agree. Great car if you could accept it for what it was. A rebadged existing car offered to fill the void caused by the f body's demise. GM wasn't going to design a car specifically for the GTO name then and they aren't going to do it now to make the GN look "80s". Same deal with the SS

IMO the main problem the GTO had was the Mustang. The S197 had just been unveiled in concept form the year before and the first 05 models showed up in the fall of 04. Retro was huge at the time, and there was nothing retro about the GTO, it was just awful timing IMO. Had it gotten here a year or two earlier I think it would have sold better. As far as performance it was a hell of a car. Still seem to hold their value well too at least around me they do.

Only problem I could see with the GN coming back, is I feel like it would essentially be a Buick ATS-V.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:59 AM   #87
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
So much confusion in this thread. That image is old and fake....nothing to see here.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:05 PM   #88
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
I heard Ford was bringing back the Model T, calling it the Model U and yes, it will look like a FUsion.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:14 AM   #89
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Cool looking car. Manual transmission offered?
Old 03-21-2015, 10:03 AM   #90
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Quote:
The 04-06 GTO was a car that very much lived up to the name in every aspect but one. It didn't appease the moron baby boomers.
Actually, those "morons" you speak of actually saved the nameplate from further embarrassment and probably shook up the design thinkers at corporate enough to re-evaluate the re-badging of jellybeans. A noble effort since there was a performance hole to fill with the death of the F-body. Had they been a sales hit, then we'd have all sorts of jellybeans running around with musclecar nameplates. THANK GOD that particular GTO didn't make it.

They keep trying though. The current SS doesn't seem to be flying off the shelves, although it seems better refined than the GTO ever was. If they do bring back a GN, they'll need to do it correctly.

Notice how jellybean like the Camaro is? Oh, wait...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:41 AM   #91
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
"morons" LOL

The real morons are those the blindly buy a vehicle because of the name stuck on it. If it does not do justice to the honor and tradition of the badge it is only a name. Anyone remember the GTO based on the Pontiac Ventura?
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2015, 11:18 AM   #92
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
"morons" LOL

The real morons are those the blindly buy a vehicle because of the name stuck on it. If it does not do justice to the honor and tradition of the badge it is only a name. Anyone remember the GTO based on the Pontiac Ventura?
I bought a 04 GTO because it was a hell of a car for the $26,900 discount price they were moving them out at. The interior is very nice as well. I never understood the love for the 4 door Charger that IMO was ugly as hell. Muscle cars have 2 doors.

They could have named it XU3Z2 and I would have bought it at that time given those choices.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:39 AM   #93
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
I bought a 04 GTO because it was a hell of a car for the $26,900 discount price they were moving them out at. The interior is very nice as well. I never understood the love for the 4 door Charger that IMO was ugly as hell. Muscle cars have 2 doors.

They could have named it XU3Z2 and I would have bought it at that time given those choices.
Some people would rather leave things as legends, but then we wouldn't have current Camaros, Mustangs, Challengers, hell we wouldn't have anything.

I liked the GTO and would still consider buying one, the problem I have with earlier GMs is their POS cooling systems and their excuse that it's normal for water pump seepage.
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:02 PM   #94
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
Quote:

The GTO was just a Holden, and every auto enthusiast knew it. Good car performance-wise, but the styling was bland as hell; especially compared to the 2005 Mustang that just hit the streets. People wanted retro, and GM foolishly thought they could accomplish that by slapping an old badge on an existing car.

I'd love to see a new GTO. A real one, not a damn Holden.
nester7929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:48 PM   #95
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
"morons" LOL

I actually looked for one of those awhile back. They are hard to find... probably because nobody bothered to save any, but I think they are way cool. Like a Nova SS but different and I tend to like different.

Stuff a 455 into that thing and
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 02:39 AM   #96
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by nester7929 View Post
The GTO was just a Holden, and every auto enthusiast knew it. Good car performance-wise, but the styling was bland as hell; especially compared to the 2005 Mustang that just hit the streets. People wanted retro, and GM foolishly thought they could accomplish that by slapping an old badge on an existing car.

What's wrong with Holden
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:08 AM   #97
rocket403

Drives: 80 Cutlass 403, 2010 FF RT
No style at all
rocket403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:56 AM   #98
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by nester7929 View Post

Thank you, you make my point exactly. The car was never the issue, because it was a very solid performance car. It is simply that everyone wanted a retro GTO.

In a lot of ways, I'm glad it never happened because Pontiac died out...which it needed to do. That being said, I've often wondered how well this car would have sold had they re-badged it as a Chevy Camaro...