Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-14-2024, 12:42 PM   #1541
The Chief (tm)

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS "Convertibobble"
Yep, and in that same article the author specifically says that perhaps a rental agency was not the best place to trot out technology which requires a longer learning curve (charging, route planning, etc.) than most typical car renters are at luxury to employ.

But make sure to zoom in on that, and that alone.
'94 ST1100 146K
The Chief (tm) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 09:40 AM   #1542
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
R&T Performance EV of the Year

This is (in my opinion) a really well balanced review of (3) performance EVs priced under $100k and (3) performance EVs priced over $100k, picking a winner in each category.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews...r-of-the-year/

Several things I like about this article. For one, it underlines the fact that all EVs are not the same. Many in this thread seem to believe that all EVs are range challenged boring appliances that have straight line acceleration as their only parlor trick. The route that R&T used for this competition emphasizes handling and chassis dynamics.

For another, it underlines that 2023 was a year where a number of different configurations have started coming to market. I can tell you from an automotive forecasting position that 2024 will see an even more diverse field of EV body styles and trim levels. Automakers are just now starting to bring performance EVs to market. Options will continue to get better and over time as competition ramps up, prices for performance trims will level out.

I’ll say it again so that I am not misquoted or misinterpreted. EVs are not for everybody. Not any more than a Camaro or Corvette is for everybody. But they are here, they are not going away, and for the foreseeable future ICE and EV will coexist on this country’s streets and highways.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 05:23 PM   #1543
The Chief (tm)

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS "Convertibobble"
So it's only electric cars that won't start after sitting outdoors in subzero temps for days on end; that *never* happens to an ICE vehicle. Got it.
'94 ST1100 146K
The Chief (tm) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 06:09 PM   #1544
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chief (tm) View Post
So it's only electric cars that won't start after sitting outdoors in subzero temps for days on end; that *never* happens to an ICE vehicle. Got it.
Except that when an ICE vehicle doesn’t start, you can usually just jump it and move on. Not sit and wait for it to charge, on top of it.
Old 01-16-2024, 06:15 PM   #1545
Capricio

Drives: 2000 WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS1LE View Post
https://www.foxbusiness.com/technolo...obots-out-here

https://youtu.be/tzrUkgbVoro?si=WPX8bX1p-U-7zPi5

But once the tech gets worked out you won't need to worry about being stuck in subzero temperatures! So EV drivers have that going for them.

I guess all these EV owners are not reading all the screen warnings about pre-conditioning the battery? I find that hard to believe, since they are our moral and intellectual superiors.
Capricio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 03:34 AM   #1546
docwra

Drives: 2015 Z28
Quote:
The end of the first paragraph literally says "None of this screams “save the environment” to me"
Thats not facts, thats opinion, and that particular opinion doesnt take into account clean power generation.

The rest is either one sided or opinion too, ignoring clean power generation, cheaper running costs, the fact you can refuel at home etc. - it even compares the cost of replacing an ICE battery with an EV battery, how can any "report" that includes that "fact" be anything other than a hit piece?
docwra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 03:39 AM   #1547
docwra

Quote:

But once the tech gets worked out you won't need to worry about being stuck in subzero temperatures! So EV drivers have that going for them.
New car sales in Norway are currently 87% EV, the government have legislated that all new cars sold by 2025 should be zero emission.

I know geography isnt always you guys strongest suit but it gets pretty cold in Norway ..........
Old 01-17-2024, 06:02 AM   #1548
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwra View Post
New car sales in Norway are currently 87% EV, the government have legislated that all new cars sold by 2025 should be zero emission.

I know geography isnt always you guys strongest suit but it gets pretty cold in Norway ..........
"you guys".... who would that be again?

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 06:56 AM   #1549
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:

Only a little cursory investigation reveals that there were two things not working that day. One out of roughly 20 supercharger lots in the immediate area and the collective brains of the drivers that showed up at that lot minus a clue of how to just go to any of the nearby chargers that were working just fine. That’s like getting to your favorite gas station and realizing the pumps aren’t working and not considering that you can just drive a little further to the next station.

Here’s a map of the chargers in the immediate vicinity of the non-working station. The car will show you a list of all the available chargers and how to get to them.
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 12:36 PM   #1550
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwra View Post

In an article posted by the New York times in the past day or so (discussing all the poor Tesla owners in the Chicago area stuck and suffering at charge stations) it talks about Norway as well. It also mentions that the majority of EV owners there are home owners and 90% of EV owners have their own EV charging station at their residence.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/17/b...d-weather.html

Perhaps they aren't trying to travel as much as us 'Mericans do?
Old 01-17-2024, 03:35 PM   #1551
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
This is (in my opinion) a really well balanced review of (3) performance EVs priced under $100k and (3) performance EVs priced over $100k, picking a winner in each category.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews...r-of-the-year/

Several things I like about this article. For one, it underlines the fact that all EVs are not the same. Many in this thread seem to believe that all EVs are range challenged boring appliances that have straight line acceleration as their only parlor trick. The route that R&T used for this competition emphasizes handling and chassis dynamics.

For another, it underlines that 2023 was a year where a number of different configurations have started coming to market. I can tell you from an automotive forecasting position that 2024 will see an even more diverse field of EV body styles and trim levels. Automakers are just now starting to bring performance EVs to market. Options will continue to get better and over time as competition ramps up, prices for performance trims will level out.

I’ll say it again so that I am not misquoted or misinterpreted. EVs are not for everybody. Not any more than a Camaro or Corvette is for everybody. But they are here, they are not going away, and for the foreseeable future ICE and EV will coexist on this country’s streets and highways.
But they are...
Old 01-18-2024, 08:45 AM   #1552
docwra

Quote:
Here’s another article addressing all the hype and false claims that EV proponents engage in. One thing I found interesting in the article is the pattern of the media overhyping EVs that goes back over 100 years.

https://robertbryce.substack.com/p/m...ony-on-epas-ev
This includes no data or experience of anyone outside USA which is no problem if youre only talking about the USA market but like the rest of the anti EV scribblings he seems to be suggesting these issues are the same in the rest of world ....... when they clearly arent.

Im also not sure how "makes the auto industry dependent on China" is an EV issue when 40% of cars sold in the USA are Japanese brands already.
If USA Government doesnt want Chinese cars thats not really an electric vehicle issue, than a US Government issue.

Its the same with the Norway point, yes, legislation is what leads to the huge EV uptake but the point is the end users arent having the same issues as your guys in Chicago are, ergo the cars are not the isue.
Old 01-18-2024, 09:14 AM   #1553

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
A lot of good posts and discussion lately.

Just curious...Why do these charging stations, or multiple charging stalls, "go out of service" or just quit working? Why are users surprised to find the charger they just pulled into does not work and can't be used? What goes wrong with them? Are they just cheap and easily broken? Bad design? Not enought electricity available for them to be used? I don't get it...lol

It always gets mentioned as if it's a normal circumstance. Why is that?

Seems like something that shouldn't be happening, as if things aren't bad enough, etc...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 10:04 AM   #1554
docwra

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Just curious...Why do these charging stations, or multiple charging stalls, "go out of service" or just quit working? Why are users surprised to find the charger they just pulled into does not work and can't be used? What goes wrong with them? Are they just cheap and easily broken? Bad design? Not enought electricity available for them to be used? I don't get it...lol
Speaking from UK experience it seems they just werent very reliable to begin with, it does seem to have improved in the last 18 months though.

Its rare to see an entire charging stall fail but it also used to be rare to see all the chargers working, a big step forward is phone apps like Chargepoint as they can tell you in realtime whats going on.
Im not aware of cold weather affecting chargers here but we dont see temps below about 15F, I understand this weather event caused a slight issue in charging efficiency though: