Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-25-2017, 09:43 AM   #1
KICKASS4272

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Warranty Questions / Clarification

Sorry if this is a repeat post but I have seen so many different answers that its hard to determine whats right / wrong.

So here's the basic rundown:
I am planning on putting aftermarket headers on my Camaro. I already called my dealership and asked if changing this will void the warranty and they said "it will not void the warranty". But my question is this, if the dealership does the work + tune is there anything I have to worry about voiding still? I haven't seen a similar post (may have overlooked it) so i'm unsure what will come from this.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated
Old 04-25-2017, 09:46 AM   #2
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
First issue there is the dealer can't do the tune. And if they do, it will be using an aftermarket calibrator/tuner. Which will put an aftermarket cal into the ECM. If the car ever needs any major engine work... like a new engine... GM will ask for the cal number. If not the OE cal...no new engine for you.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:10 AM   #3
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Any modification can potentially void a warranty.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:36 AM   #4
KICKASS4272

Figured the tune would be a stretch. So i guess my next question would be how risky is it to do this mod with tune (from another source)? Is it likely to cause a major failure?
Old 04-25-2017, 10:50 AM   #5
High Magnitude

Drives: 2014 2LT Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by KICKASS4272 View Post
Figured the tune would be a stretch. So i guess my next question would be how risky is it to do this mod with tune (from another source)? Is it likely to cause a major failure?
I wouldnt risk it. Only mod what you can turn back to normal
Old 04-25-2017, 12:24 PM   #6
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
I don't think its risky. Your car is several years old now with I assume no issues. I tuned mine in 2015 & voided my warranty in all liklihood but I like the car so much better so for me it was worth it.

Headers and tune are pretty basic and safe mods. I'm tuned only nothing else but it really changed the car.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 01:31 PM   #7
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
I don't think its risky. Your car is several years old now with I assume no issues. I tuned mine in 2015 & voided my warranty in all liklihood but I like the car so much better so for me it was worth it.

Headers and tune are pretty basic and safe mods. I'm tuned only nothing else but it really changed the car.
Exactly. If you find a reputable shop to install and tune, you'll be in that 98 percentile that'll have 0 issues. Automobiles are macines built by machines (for the most part). They are not perfect...things happen...no matter what you do. 2 of my last 3 cars were cammed and tuned. I drove them regularly...even on long road trips. Not once did I worry things might fail.
The simplest and greatest improvement you can do to an LSx engine is, long tubes, cai and a solid dyno tune.
Good luck.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:55 PM   #8
jergarr

Drives: 11' RJT 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Magnitude View Post
I wouldnt risk it. Only mod what you can turn back to normal
This. If you arent willing to void the warranty only do mods that are easy to switch back (cold air intake, ported throttle body).
Stainless Power Headers w/cats
Fluidampr 25% UDP
Cold Air Inductions Intake
Bo White Ported Throttle Body
ADM Trans Cooler
Some BMR Goodies
jergarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:57 PM   #9
jergarr

Drives: 11' RJT 2SS/RS L99
Also i would not recommend having performance work done at the dealer. I do not doubt they can do a good job but you will overpay.
Stainless Power Headers w/cats
Fluidampr 25% UDP
Cold Air Inductions Intake
Bo White Ported Throttle Body
ADM Trans Cooler
Some BMR Goodies
jergarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 03:04 PM   #10
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
As long as you go to a good shop that has done that modification a hundred times before you will be fine. That mod is easy enough to do without incident. Also if your dealer said that doing headers wouldn't void the warranty I would get it in writing. You can't always trust their word, writing might save you in the end.

The tune will be a little harder to fight because it does affect the computer of the car and can be seen once it's been plugged in. Like others have said once you do this mod you can't really go back like you can with a CAI.

Best regards,

Kayla L.
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:00 PM   #11
KICKASS4272

thanks for the responses. I know it'll cost more having it done at the dealer itself but I figured they would be liable then and cover repairs if something went wrong god forbid.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:35 PM   #12
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
They may not want to alter your exhaust on your car as in: they may be responsible for removing your cats which is a no-no unless your adding high flows and can get by without smog testing where you are, generally getting a tune is the part of the header install that voids the warranty more ,
but also consider the age of the car and remainder of the warranty being 5-50k miles or 3-36 bumper to bumper, if you have owned the car so long its most likely not going to develop problems from headers other than needing tuned IMO, and you will love the sound, yet its all in where you live if you can go without smog testing. I am lucky our state laws allow changing out the exhaust for headers if needed. But some places like PDX are smog.....
Old 04-26-2017, 12:42 AM   #13
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Your close if not over the power train warranty anyway so if you want to do the mod go ahead a few months or miles want matter...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:36 AM   #14
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
My dealer knows all the local shops. You want headers and a tune, they will send you here, you want suspension upgrades, they will send you there. Cam, well that's probably a different shop. Etc.
The dealer is not going to warranty it, that's up to the shop, but they have seen more of it than you ever will and know who to trust.

Tags
modding, warranty