Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

View Poll Results: ZL1 or GT500, Which one would you get?
ZL1 5 35.71%
GT500 9 64.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #1611
BATMAN!
Banned

Drives: Corvette, F350, Durango but no svt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
All I am saying is the straight line numbers mean little, and most of the Shelby guys seem to hang their hat on them.
Same can and is being said about the ring times as well.
BATMAN! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #1612
Rubble2240

Drives: 13 BRM ZL1
Fact is both cars are faster than 90 percent of people will use or are capable of safely driving. Both are well built, it more or less is about personal preference once cars reach this level of performance. I personally like the fact that the ZL1 has the auto option!
Rubble2240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #1613
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Menace View Post
I normally agree with your posts, but not on this account. Point me to where Al O. mentions BMW specifically or generally to any European car. All I heard him mention was Ford/GT500. Where did I miss those references I'm mentioning?
I was talking about GM using the ring ast a development ground. it has nothing to do with ford.

GM started there with Vetts, then the CTS-V, then the camaro. this devlopment method was not invented to combat ford anybody who belived this is just wrong.

that being said AL O. did say the ZL1 would one up the GT500 and I think it does the 2012 as an overall car. the 2013 though he has only said it will be faster around the track. which I think it will be.

for the minimal money to get to even HP I think a 600whp ZL1 will be faster around a track that a GT500. If I did not belive that I would be trying to convince my wife that she does not hate mustang and buy one.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #1614
tooslow
Banned

Drives: 4 Wheels, Gasoline Engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macvicar24 View Post
GM just needs to come out with an option that matches the GT500 price of $64k. It's called an LS9. GM could tweak the power to match the GT500 and things could be a little more even.

Curious what the GT500 times would be stock (w/o optional coolers, rear diff, and track pack)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
$64K? Base+performance pac+track pac is $61k, not $64k.
tooslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #1615
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
To to continue the argument ,but I have a question. So what your saying is that we shouldn't believe what you guys tell us?
Do you expect him to answer that? He's one of the guys that hasn't been "incestuous". So you can believe what he says. The others, well, you have to be able to read between the lines, and use good judgement.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #1616
rez333

I think what the GT500 has done is unvealed the folly of bench racing determining how you feel about your car.

Imagine how the drivers of the FR-S feel? That car is junk when it comes to bench racing, but I imagine that bench numbers aren't what drives them to buy this car.

American muscle/pony car owners on the other hand have a bit of arrogance when it comes to bench racing, given their cars spank comparably priced imports. Those excellent numbers have given Camaro owners such a big head, that it doesn't take much to pop it like a balloon when the GT500 numbers come out.

And that's the folly! When the 2015s come out, they will spank both the 2013 ZL1 and GT500 - and you won't be happy any more if you bought the GT500 because it's the bench king!

Just take both cars for a test drive and buy the one that sings to you. If you buy it because it's the best at bench racing - you will only be happy for a year or two; then what?
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:27 PM   #1617
tooslow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rez333 View Post
Just take both cars for a test drive and buy the one that sings to you. If you buy it because it's the best at bench racing - you will only be happy for a year or two; then what?
Buy a new car?
Old 05-22-2012, 05:28 PM   #1618
rez333

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
Buy a new car?
You're missing the point. Many people buy the GTR because it will make them look fast. We all have to ask ourselves - did we buy the car so others will think we drive the fastest car? Even so, it just proves that your car is fast not that you are a good driver.

Why not just buy a car because YOU enjoy it rather than whether others think you're a "pro race-car driver" or not?
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:33 PM   #1619
Thyshallsmite

Drives: 2011 Grand sport c6 corvette
I'm more curious what GM is gonna fire back with, almost debating on holding off on a 2013 because i just know the ZL1 2014 is almost guaranteed to be a beast since it will be the last year they will have a chance before regulations come in.
Thyshallsmite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:35 PM   #1620
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanokpsi View Post
I thought this phrase was going to come form a Ford guy.......
Haha!!! I'm far from a Ford guy. I like all cars. That question is for everyone in the car world. fbodfather is one of the few from the inside that will talk to us civilians. Plus, he made the statement. That's why I ask him the question.

I completely respect that he takes time out from his busy life to talk to a bunch of people he doesn't know ,and I truly value what the man has to say regardless of what people think about me.

The question wasn't meant to be a smart ass one no matter how it came off in the internet.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:36 PM   #1621
tooslow
Banned

I know what your getting at, as I just went through this very process for myself. In the end, neither the ZL1 nor the GT500 was what I was looking for, so I ended up with something different. That was a many month process, too, no a gotta-have-it buy based on magazine numbers or what someone else thought I should buy. I am very pleased with my decision and have zero regrets despite the awesome numbers the Shelby and the ZL1 are producing.

Still, some people will buy and sell in a heartbeat just to have the "best" at any given time. That is not going to change.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:38 PM   #1622
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thyshallsmite View Post
I'm more curious what GM is gonna fire back with, almost debating on holding off on a 2013 because i just know the ZL1 2014 is almost guaranteed to be a beast since it will be the last year they will have a chance before regulations come in.
It's already a beast, why wait?

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:40 PM   #1623
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
Do you expect him to answer that? He's one of the guys that hasn't been "incestuous". So you can believe what he says. The others, well, you have to be able to read between the lines, and use good judgement.
My reason for asking is because if we can't repeat what we hear directly from a manufacturer or one of its representative and take it as fact, then what or who are we suppose to believe?
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #1624
DirtyAL
Banned

Drives: 1999 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
I think it is entriely possible that you may be correct. Until some same day, same track, same drivers both cars event happens all this talk is just that. I am really looking forward to seeing this done with somebody like Randy Pobst being the driver. I would expect the Shelby to perform very well. Ford knows the game pretty well and I'm pretty sure this will be a very tightly contested battle. All I am saying is the straight line numbers mean little, and most of the Shelby guys seem to hang their hat on them.
I think you may be late to the party so I will break the news to you slowly...'RING TIMES ARE SKEWED!!!! Every car maker has its little tricks to put up great times...ask Nissan about this. I just dont understand why ZL1owners keep putting all their chips on this subject. If 1/4 mile times didnt mean anything, why was it the first thing everyone was waiting for when people started taking delivery of them??? No one was interested in road course times, skid pad numbers, or 60-0 braking distance...come on man! Everyone was waiting for 1/4 times. And if you think GT500 fans are hanging their hats on those numbers...you are right because its important to know that the shelby will hand the ZL1 its @ss in a staright line. After all, thats what these cars were made to do back in the 60s and thats why we fell in love with them in the first place. Leave all that superior handling bragging to sports cars like the Vette & Viper and not to muscle cars like mustangs and camaros
DirtyAL is offline   Reply With Quote