Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-23-2016, 05:35 PM   #15
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
I know of the conventional names you may know many do run the stock oil and its not the best and is trashed in comparison tests done by a independent test by amsoil, I use driven racing ls30, The stock oiling system of the LS engine is specifically made for 5w30 oils type of viscosity as the upper end is not that oiled on a LS engine due to design and running heavier grade oils can starve the top end and even if its only on start up it takes a lot of life running dry and makes wear premature on parts.

Pennsoil I think its platinum may have came up good on tests for one from the store for being fairly good and coming in around the second to third place behind the amsoil of course...LOL I do a break in even on the cam only install I use br30 and break in a cam /engine then dump the oil ,(as its being dyno tuned ....) ZDDP is critical, so are other factors. Read up some of the tech articles or bulletins here if you want to learn more about our oil and engines needs....
http://www.drivenracingoil.com/
Old 11-23-2016, 07:39 PM   #16
Candr3535

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Triple Black Vert M6 #5591
I use Amsoil Signature 10w30. Seems fine to me so far....
Dyna-Tech Headers Ceramic Coated w/Super Flo Cats, JRE Custom Rough Idle Racing Cam Package and 125 RWHP Pulley Kit w/ 28% pulley, Custom Tune by Ted, ID850 injectors, JMS Fuel Booster, NGK Plugs, MSD Plug Wires, Roto-Fab CAI, Roto-Fab Big Gulp, Elite Catch Can, Mild to Wild, 90mm VMaxx Ported Throttle Body, Skip Shift Elim., D3 Coolant Resevoir, Separated Clutch Resevoir, and Fuzzy Red Dice..
Candr3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 03:02 PM   #17
fldrummer
"Black Ace"

Drives: Supercharged 2010 SS, 2016 Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
I know of the conventional names you may know many do run the stock oil and its not the best and is trashed in comparison tests done by a independent test by amsoil, I use driven racing ls30, The stock oiling system of the LS engine is specifically made for 5w30 oils type of viscosity as the upper end is not that oiled on a LS engine due to design and running heavier grade oils can starve the top end and even if its only on start up it takes a lot of life running dry and makes wear premature on parts.

Pennsoil I think its platinum may have came up good on tests for one from the store for being fairly good and coming in around the second to third place behind the amsoil of course...LOL I do a break in even on the cam only install I use br30 and break in a cam /engine then dump the oil ,(as its being dyno tuned ....) ZDDP is critical, so are other factors. Read up some of the tech articles or bulletins here if you want to learn more about our oil and engines needs....
http://www.drivenracingoil.com/
That's the combo I use now also, after learning the hard way. ;-)
Mods: Forged 416 LS3, Maggie TVS 2300 SC (~11 psi), custom cam (232/247, .630/.630, 118 LSA), 90-lb. injectors, ZL1 fuel pump & ADM controller, Alky Control meth kit, Monster LT1-SC twin-disk clutch, ZL1 drivetrain conversion w/ DSS 1000-HP axles & 1-pc. driveshaft, CAI Inc. intake w/ ADM scoop, XS Power full exhaust (1 7/8" LT headers with 3" off-road pipes), VMAX CNC-ported TB, LSR adjustable sway bars, LPE rear end-links, BMR 1" drop, BMR polyurethane bushings; UMI trailing arms & toe rods. Built & tuned by Kraftworks. 755 rwhp/708 rwtq
fldrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 10:11 AM   #18
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Did you do the install or did you have a shop do it? If a shop installed it go with what they tell you. Otherwise I run Driven LS30 5w-30 oil or you could go with Amsoil Zrod 10w-30
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 12:12 PM   #19
Slowhawk

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ir0nM4n View Post
Strange seen some people say that is not good. The ones on the life of their cam one. Anyway...
We recommend/run mobile 1 0w-40 for all our builds.stock to 1200rwhp. Been using it for 10+ years and not 1 failure. The reason we still recommend it.

There are plenty of good oils out there. We just stick with what has worked for us.
Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 11:12 AM   #20
Pig Pen

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Mobil1 5w-30. No problems.