Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 11-28-2017, 08:30 AM   #15
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Carbone View Post
The good ones ain't cheap and the cheap ones ain't good.

You get what you pay for.
Most of the Flex kits, EFI,DSX, SMG, are pretty good and use the GM sensor. The cheaper kit simply reuse the factory crossover pipe. The more expensive kits come with a new crossover and fittings for the Flex sensor. Both work well from what I have seen.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:14 AM   #16
DSX Tuning

Drives: 2019 Corvette ZR1
Mine is the only one that's 100% true push connect. There's no need for a wrench to do the installation. I include the disconnect tool for the fuel line. I also use factory assembled and pressure tested PTFE lines for mine... no screw together hose ends.
DSX Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:18 AM   #17
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
Completely disagree. The EFI kit is a bit more polished and refined but, the Skidmark kit is far cheaper. Cheaper in this case does not mean not good. Nobody has had any reports of failure or issues with the kit. It works equally as well. The EFI kit is simply easier to connect and looks a bit better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Carbone View Post
The good ones ain't cheap and the cheap ones ain't good.

You get what you pay for.
2016 Black 1SS w/ MRC, low-gloss black wheels, auto trans. Self-created custom Dark Knight Edition accents. Rotofab CAI with dry filter and sound tube delete, PRAY ported intake manifold and throttle body, Texas Speed cam, Stainless Works headers and exhaust, Skid Mark garage E85 kit, JMS fuel pump voltage booster, Circle D torque converter. Custom E85/mod tune by Jannetty Racing.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:03 PM   #18
BadBowtieProductions
Check me out on YouTube!

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
DSX
11.99 @ 117 - STOCK 1/4 mile
410 RWHP / 424 RWTQ - STOCK Dyno
---
YouTube Channel: BadBowtieProductions
BadBowtieProductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:36 PM   #19
jimmypop13

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
This sounds like such a cool mod for some quick power but I still have yet to see an E85 station anywhere around here or Houston. Maybe we'll get some stations soon
jimmypop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 01:06 PM   #20
2016SSimpson

Drives: 2016 SS
I have no dog in this fight, but I did do my homework on all of the available kits on the market for our cars.
Don't let the hype fool you. One thing is an absolute truth, the only "functional" part of these kits is the GM Sensor that they all use, even the "cheap" kit.
For years the "big" names charged an excessive amount because no one came out with a less expensive alternative. The SMG kit uses high quality parts, from the precision billet aluminum adapter with double o-ring seals, to OEM style connectors and top quality wiring harnesses.

Source? I personally have seen all of them on cars in my area, have read all of the websites and fourms asking these very questions (I have time on my hands to read, so I do) ultimately I bought this SMG kit (see some pics below), and have zero complaints. Its fantastically built, the materials are great, the harness is well protected and attractive (for a wire harness anyway) its fully sleaved with a bice braided loom, connections are nice and solid, no funky athletic tape or similar. very nice kit.

-is the wiring any more complicated?
I don't think so. sure the dsx kit piggy backs off a coil for power so you have to plug in their jumper harness, but you still need to run the signal wire to the PCM (just like ALL Kits), the SMG kits have a simple ground wire that connects to a factory bolt right next to the sensor, and a fuse adapter you simply route to the fuse box and plug in, which just so happens to be the same general location the pcm wire has to be routed anyway so its not any extra work...

Is the dedicated power and ground wires better?...I personally prefer this design because it allows you to have a dedicated fused circuit for the sensor (just like OEM sensors have) vs piggy backing off another important component like a coil for power adding load to a circuit designed only for it...

-the other question, does it look any worse?
I also don't think so, just glance and you'd be hard pressed to see a difference once installed. Its the same sensor mounted in the same place. The addition of the new hose from a few of the other guys, is unnecessary and looks just like oem so there is no visible benefit. if anything the nice finish on the SMG billet adapter is very nice, but blends in and looks OEM, one exception to this is the RPM kit https://www.rpm-motorsports.com/stor...ersion-kit-e85 YIKES!!!! Worm gear clamps and plastic barbed fittings for fuel injection??? NOPE

So ultimately the decision is yours, buy what you feel in your gut to be the best fit.

You are gonna hear the fan boys from each brand pipe in and recommend the kit they bought because it validates their decision, that doesn't mean they have any direct knowledge with the other kits. You'll also hear from vendors that pay to be here that their kit is best, be wary of any that disparage their competition. Lastly, read up on the customer service stories of each. I've seen numerous on this site and many on the fb pages too. I personally buy from vendors that do right by their customers, even more so after the sale has been completed.

Good luck, I hope you find a product that fits your needs and you are happy with in the end.

edit: forgot to add, no funky tools were needed to install either, the little aluminum caps can be snugged up with a wrench, but who doesn't have that?, a pic, needle nose and a side cutter to trim my zip ties to secure my routed wire... I am missing a few fingers and still managed to get this installed in under 30 minutes, including time to down a few beers :cheers:
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2017, 01:48 PM   #21
savagecamaro

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2ss
I'm getting a e85 tune at cunningham motorsports here in so cal. The kit with installation and tune is $1100 out of pocket. But lethal camaro on youtube always goes to them, so I assume they are pretty good.
savagecamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 03:29 PM   #22
TRich2SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016SSimpson View Post
I have no dog in this fight, but I did do my homework on all of the available kits on the market for our cars.
Don't let the hype fool you. One thing is an absolute truth, the only "functional" part of these kits is the GM Sensor that they all use, even the "cheap" kit.
For years the "big" names charged an excessive amount because no one came out with a less expensive alternative. The SMG kit uses high quality parts, from the precision billet aluminum adapter with double o-ring seals, to OEM style connectors and top quality wiring harnesses.

Source? I personally have seen all of them on cars in my area, have read all of the websites and fourms asking these very questions (I have time on my hands to read, so I do) ultimately I bought this SMG kit (see some pics below), and have zero complaints. Its fantastically built, the materials are great, the harness is well protected and attractive (for a wire harness anyway) its fully sleaved with a bice braided loom, connections are nice and solid, no funky athletic tape or similar. very nice kit.

I don't think so. sure the dsx kit piggy backs off a coil for power so you have to plug in their jumper harness, but you still need to run the signal wire to the PCM (just like ALL Kits), the SMG kits have a simple ground wire that connects to a factory bolt right next to the sensor, and a fuse adapter you simply route to the fuse box and plug in, which just so happens to be the same general location the pcm wire has to be routed anyway so its not any extra work...

Is the dedicated power and ground wires better?...I personally prefer this design because it allows you to have a dedicated fused circuit for the sensor (just like OEM sensors have) vs piggy backing off another important component like a coil for power adding load to a circuit designed only for it...

I also don't think so, just glance and you'd be hard pressed to see a difference once installed. Its the same sensor mounted in the same place. The addition of the new hose from a few of the other guys, is unnecessary and looks just like oem so there is no visible benefit. if anything the nice finish on the SMG billet adapter is very nice, but blends in and looks OEM, one exception to this is the RPM kit

So ultimately the decision is yours, buy what you feel in your gut to be the best fit.

You are gonna hear the fan boys from each brand pipe in and recommend the kit they bought because it validates their decision, that doesn't mean they have any direct knowledge with the other kits. You'll also hear from vendors that pay to be here that their kit is best, be wary of any that disparage their competition. Lastly, read up on the customer service stories of each. I've seen numerous on this site and many on the fb pages too. I personally buy from vendors that do right by their customers, even more so after the sale has been completed.

Good luck, I hope you find a product that fits your needs and you are happy with in the end.

edit: forgot to add, no funky tools were needed to install either, the little aluminum caps can be snugged up with a wrench, but who doesn't have that?, a pic, needle nose and a side cutter to trim my zip ties to secure my routed wire... I am missing a few fingers and still managed to get this installed in under 30 minutes, including time to down a few beers :cheers:
"I have no dog in this fight"
TRich2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:06 PM   #23
DSX Tuning

Drives: 2019 Corvette ZR1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRich2SS View Post
Where's that like button...
DSX Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:08 PM   #24
2016SSimpson

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX Tuning View Post
Where's that like button...
Yall never heard that before?
Old 11-29-2017, 10:48 AM   #25
Ponyeatr16ss
retired badass

Drives: 2016 2SS M6
Send a message via AIM to Ponyeatr16ss Send a message via Yahoo to Ponyeatr16ss
Quote:
Yall never heard that before?
I’ve heard it since I was a kid.
Ponyeatr16ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:53 AM   #26
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:

I also don't think so, just glance and you'd be hard pressed to see a difference once installed. Its the same sensor mounted in the same place. The addition of the new hose from a few of the other guys, is unnecessary and looks just like oem so there is no visible benefit. if anything the nice finish on the SMG billet adapter is very nice, but blends in and looks OEM, one exception to this is the RPM kit https://www.rpm-motorsports.com/stor...ersion-kit-e85 YIKES!!!! Worm gear clamps and plastic barbed fittings for fuel injection??? NOPE

Easy does it...you might break the internet with this well thought out explanation and logic.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 02:35 PM   #27
TRich2SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyeatr16ss View Post
I’ve heard it since I was a kid.
Lol I think this went right over your head man
TRich2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 02:43 PM   #28
2016SSimpson

Quote:
Lol I think this went right over your head man
Guess its over mine too, care to explain for us dummies?