Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > USA - New England

AWE Tuning

Old 02-22-2017, 03:40 PM   #1
Yummyutoo

Drives: 2017 2SS camaro convertible
Angry 2017 clear taillight lenses

Quick question! I live in Massachusetts and want to add the clear lenses to my 2017 camaro SS order, but i was told that it would not pass state inspection. These are DOT certified and i don't understand why. Any clarification or documentation would be much appreciated.

Attached Images

Yummyutoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:47 PM   #2
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
I don't know either. They light up red when you press the brakes or turn on your headlights. Who said they would not pass inspection?
Megahurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:48 PM   #3
Yummyutoo

The Dealer
Old 02-22-2017, 03:49 PM   #4
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2019 Shock ZL1
Well...the way the inspection laws are written: http://www.mass.gov/courts/docs/lawl...mr/540cmr4.pdf

Quote:
(10)
Lighting Devices.
(a)
Tail Lights. Every motor vehicle, except a two wheeled motorcycle, an antique motor car, and a farm tractor, shall be equipped with two red lights (tail lamps) mounted one at each side of the rear of the vehicle so as to show two red lights from behind and equipped with two stop lights (stop lamps) mounted and displayed in a like manner. A single lamp may combine both of the above functions. Every motor vehicle shall be equipped with a white light so arranged as to illuminate the rear number plate so that it is plainly visible at 60 feet.

Lighting Devices and Reflectors. All lighting devices and reflectors required by applicable Federal Motor Vehicle SafetyStandards for all motor vehicles when the particular vehicle was originally manufactured and such devices required by Massachusetts General Law or Rules and Regulations applicable to the particular vehicle inspected shall be securely attached to the vehicle and capable of performing their design functions. Lenses must be intact, clean, unobstructed, and free from cracks. The use of adhesive tape to repair lenses is prohibited.
(e)
Aftermarket Lighting. Any aftermarket lighting inconsistent with FMVSS 108 or
M.G.L. c. 90 shall be removed or the vehicle shall be rejected
Being they are GM, they would conform to any and all FMVSS standards right off the bat. The question really is how does one interpret that bolded section of the inspection regulations?

Does the lamp/lens assembly itself have to be red? Is that only stating that the color of the light has to be red? In which case, the GM lamps display the correct lighting.

I would interpret it as such. If you can buy a Corvette Z06 in Massachusetts, then the Camaro clears are legal as the Z06 leaves with them from the factory. I would interpret the law as then the color of the light illuminated from the lamps is red.

Does your dealer sell Corvettes and or have they sold and/or inspected any C7 Z06? If so, then those lights are legal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:58 PM   #5
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
They are 50 state legal, if a shop/dealer tries to fail the inspection based on the tail lamps they don't know what they are doing.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:02 PM   #6
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
If a shop/dealer tries to fail the inspection based on the tail lamps they don't know what they are doing.

There's no legal disclaimer on these things. And as said earlier - if the Z06 gets by fine, so will these.

Plus they're not aftermarket if they're a manufacturer part installed before you buy it, riiiiight?
Old 02-22-2017, 04:05 PM   #7
Block8head

Drives: 2016 Vert 2SS/2018 ZL1 Vert Red Hot
which shop told you that? i live in MA also. As long as you have Red reflector in the back you should pass the inspection. It GM Dot approved tail lights, so bring it to the dealer and tell them suck it. Z06 also have them so. LOL
Block8head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:18 PM   #8
SixgenSix

Drives: 2020 SHOCK SS 1LE
The dealer can order and install them for you, or you can install them yourself.
SixgenSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:43 PM   #9
Yummyutoo

Thanks to u guy's, told them to s... it! Just kiddin! They said i was right. One of their techs is from NH and he was quoting shops there. But i believe that the same should apply to New Hampshire?
Old 02-22-2017, 04:44 PM   #10
BahamaTodd

Drives: 08 Accord V6/M6 / 04 Canyon Z71
The dealer is literally screwing themselves out of a sale of those lights. lol.
BahamaTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:44 PM   #11
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
They may be trying to save face....these lights should be fine all over.

Though!!!

When the Pontiac G8 GT came out with the clear lenses from the factory...some drivers were being pulled over and cited for illegal lights. Courts/States didn't have a leg to stand on since they were factory and legal...but if your state is full of silly rules like this, you may get harassed, unnecessarily...
Old 02-22-2017, 05:01 PM   #12
Yummyutoo

Yeah probably true, but i've never been harrased by law enforcement because i've had Veteran plates and was prior law enforcement. I guess the perks of that style of plate. Just a short story. I was driving on 93N, heading to Woburn Ma (15 miles north of Boston for u out of state guys) and was in Stop & Go traffic. Low & behold a Mass state trooper was behind me for over 5 miles. One exit before i was getting off, he turns his lights on. So i move over and he follows & im like WTF. Two troopers get out & approach my car �� and ask me the usual "Do u know why i pulled u over?". Being dumb founded i said absolutely not. They said they ran my plate and that my registration was expired over 6 months. I said holy shit! They basically could have citedme & towed my car in the middle of the highway. They kind of chuckled & said get it fixed and left. Veteran plates in mass don't have the expiration month on the plate. It's only on the actual registration. Not having any need for my registration except for state inspections in over 10 yrs, i never really looked @ it. Moral of the story, stupidy is a justification for paying for your responsibilities. ��
Old 02-23-2017, 09:07 AM   #13
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPODFAN11 View Post
Well...the way the inspection laws are written: http://www.mass.gov/courts/docs/lawl...mr/540cmr4.pdf

Being they are GM, they would conform to any and all FMVSS standards right off the bat. The question really is how does one interpret that bolded section of the inspection regulations?

Does the lamp/lens assembly itself have to be red? Is that only stating that the color of the light has to be red? In which case, the GM lamps display the correct lighting.

I would interpret it as such. If you can buy a Corvette Z06 in Massachusetts, then the Camaro clears are legal as the Z06 leaves with them from the factory. I would interpret the law as then the color of the light illuminated from the lamps is red.

Does your dealer sell Corvettes and or have they sold and/or inspected any C7 Z06? If so, then those lights are legal.

exactly

The lights are red when you press the brake or when the headlamps are on. This should pass.
Megahurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:51 AM   #14
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummyutoo View Post
Veteran plates in mass don't have the expiration month on the plate. It's only on the actual registration. Not having any need for my registration except for state inspections in over 10 yrs, i never really looked @ it. Moral of the story, stupidy is a justification for paying for your responsibilities. ��
Expiration stickers are absolutely required on ALL plates in MA, including vet plates (have 3 cars with vet plates). Vet plate registrations are for 2 years. Vanity plates are 1 year. If you didn't get one for whatever reason, it's up to *you* to call the RMV and get a sticker to put on the rear license plate, in the upper right corner. That's the law.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote