Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-02-2016, 09:08 PM   #1
EFI Tuning

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
AFM Valve Delete - Revision 01

I built up a couple of the new revision PCBs tonight and tested them on the Camaro. V4 and V8 works correctly with the modules plugged in and the actuators fully disconnected. No codes!

If you want to remove the AFM valves or switch to an aftermarket exhaust and not pay for the AFM provisions these modules will let you accomplish that. The latest revision will work in both V4 (DoD) and V8 modes. DoD does not need to be disabled in the ECM.

Once I verify their function on a C7 I will begin production. The first few kits are going out to some of the exhaust manufacturers. I will start taking orders in about a week or so.

Tim
EFI Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:45 PM   #2
parish8

Drives: 17 SS a8
This is a great product. I hope you sell a ton of them.
parish8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 09:44 PM   #3
glenB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
GM put the valve in there to defeat harmonics, vibration, drone and exhaust tone while in V4 mode. Have you test this in V4 mode with/without NPP, and if so, what happened and did you do a vid?

In another thread I though I read that guys that track regularly say this valve carbons up and sticks, is this more a track mod or either street or track

thx
glenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 10:59 PM   #4
parish8

Drives: 17 SS a8
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenB View Post
GM put the valve in there to defeat harmonics, vibration, drone and exhaust tone while in V4 mode. Have you test this in V4 mode with/without NPP, and if so, what happened and did you do a vid?

In another thread I though I read that guys that track regularly say this valve carbons up and sticks, is this more a track mod or either street or track

thx
I have ran it without the valve in v4 mode and you could hear it but just barely. the wind noise and tire noise drowned out most of the sound. this was with stock exhaust, I think with loud exhaust you would be able to hear it much better and that might bother some.
parish8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 12:07 AM   #5
EFI Tuning

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenB View Post

thx
This serves a couple of different use cases...

1. Tracked C7 - the C7s with AFM that track have been dealing with AFM actuator failures for two years no with no proper resolution from GM. The actuators overheat and fail. If they have to replace them they are ~$300 a piece. With this module they can eliminate the actuators all together and eliminate the problem permanently for a little more than half the price of a single actuator.

2. Aftermarket exhaust options - This can apply to the C7 and Camaro. If you have AFM and want go to an aftermarket exhaust system that replaces the section containing the AFM actuators you are limited to only those systems that have the proper provisions. This is an expensive adder to the cost of the exhaust system if the provision is even offered. Not all vendors are providing the provisions in their systems. So the available options are limited.

Some things to note...

- The actuators are controlled by the Chassis Control Module (CCM) not the ECM. This means that the actuators cannot be tuned out. DoD can be disabled in the ECM but the CCM is still going to control and monitor the actuators. If you remove them or they fail for whatever reason you will set a CEL.

- Many people do not want to touch their ECM and disable DoD for fear of having warranty issues at some point. This drove the request for V4 mode compatibility. This became more prominent after revision 00 had already been completed thus the redesign to revision 01. It required firmware changes as well as circuitry changes to do correctly.

- I've been driving with V4 working for the last couple of days. The difference between the actuators actually functioning versus the modules being plugged in is relatively subtle and this is with no primary cats and NPP in sport or track mode. If it were something drastic or obnoxious I'd say so.

- Some of the exhaust manufacturers have attempted to provide dummy mounts thinking they just need to be grounded. This is a useless approach. Grounding them is not what the CCM is looking for.

This is the only correct solution out there for dealing with the AFM actuators if you need, or want, to remove them. Any DIY approach will eventually fail and result in a CEL.

If anyone has any additional questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Tim
EFI Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 02:46 PM   #6
Fifty 2 SS

Drives: 17 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFI Tuning View Post
I built up a couple of the new revision PCBs tonight and tested them on the Camaro. V4 and V8 works correctly with the modules plugged in and the actuators fully disconnected. No codes!

If you want to remove the AFM valves or switch to an aftermarket exhaust and not pay for the AFM provisions these modules will let you accomplish that. The latest revision will work in both V4 (DoD) and V8 modes. DoD does not need to be disabled in the ECM.

Once I verify their function on a C7 I will begin production. The first few kits are going out to some of the exhaust manufacturers. I will start taking orders in about a week or so.

Tim

Hi, do you still selling modules?
Fifty 2 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:46 PM   #7
NY Andrew

Drives: 2016 Camaro V6 2LT RS Fully Loaded
Just plug the module back in and zip tie it up underneath somewhere. Worked for me! Although the black clip on the module is broken it will probably fall on the road somewhere at some point..
My 2016 Camaro Bose Subwoofer Install
2016 Camaro V6 Stock to Borla Atak Exhaust Sound
2016 Camaro V6 Resonator & X-Pipe Replace with Midpipe & Borla Atak
NY Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote