Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Phastek Performance

Old 01-10-2018, 12:22 PM   #1
Solid_Sim

Drives: 2018 Red hot A10 ZL1
Question Need help for drag wheels & tires with M6 2SS

Hey guys,

Been searching for hours now on the web and the forums, can't find an answer about wich tires to choose for a drag set up for my M6 SS, since the ET Street R Radial Tire P305/45R17 is not recommended for a manual... People seem to recommend bias ply tires on a manual but I can't seem to find one to fit in these sizes? Gonna switch them only to go to the track 15km from home.

Wich wheel should I choose then and what tires?

I've been running Nitto's NT555R on 20 inch wheels for a while but tired of this set up and the tires are pretty much done now, and best 60ft I could get was 1.8 secs....

Please help!

(SOLD) 2017 Red hot 2SS, M6, NPP, MRC, GM ground effects, ACS Composite decklid spoiler, Mishimoto Catch can, Diablosport i2030 with custom tune, Primary cat delete pipes by CA Performance, Roto-Fab CAI
Solid_Sim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:00 PM   #2
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Interesting, I never heard the ET Street are not recommended.. Any reason why?
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:06 PM   #3
Solid_Sim

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
Interesting, I never heard the ET Street are not recommended.. Any reason why?
I'd like to know the details myself, but its what I found while doing my research; on the Summit Racing website you can read in the specs "Notes: Designed for automatic transmissions."

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...3572/overview/

And in the Questions & Answers section you can read:

"I see these are recommended for automatic transmission. What happens is mounted on a car with Manual Trans?
Asked by THOMAS on August 22, 2017

A:
A radial isn't the best choice for a manual trans car in a drag race application. M/T now has a version of this tire in a bias ply which would be better for a clutch car. I would call them to discuss and confirm.

MARK from CA answered on August 25, 2017

So I'm wondering where do I found this tire in bias ply because I could'nt find any...

(SOLD) 2017 Red hot 2SS, M6, NPP, MRC, GM ground effects, ACS Composite decklid spoiler, Mishimoto Catch can, Diablosport i2030 with custom tune, Primary cat delete pipes by CA Performance, Roto-Fab CAI
Old 01-10-2018, 06:23 PM   #4
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid_Sim View Post
So I'm wondering where do I found this tire in bias ply because I could'nt find any...
If you go to Mickey Thompson website.
They list the Street R in Radial and Bias Ply.

but in limited sizes.

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:53 PM   #5
Solid_Sim

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
If you go to Mickey Thompson website.
They list the Street R in Radial and Bias Ply.

but in limited sizes.
Alright found those but I don't understand the sizes available?

Is there one in there that fits on a race star 17 inch for my 2017 SS? Like the ET Street R Radial Tire P305/45R17

Old 01-11-2018, 04:31 AM   #6
Dubchitts

Drives: '17 Red hot 2ss, 16 Focus RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid_Sim View Post
I'd like to know the details myself, but its what I found while doing my research; on the Summit Racing website you can read in the specs "Notes: Designed for automatic transmissions."

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...3572/overview/

And in the Questions & Answers section you can read:

"I see these are recommended for automatic transmission. What happens is mounted on a car with Manual Trans?
Asked by THOMAS on August 22, 2017

A:
A radial isn't the best choice for a manual trans car in a drag race application. M/T now has a version of this tire in a bias ply which would be better for a clutch car. I would call them to discuss and confirm.

MARK from CA answered on August 25, 2017

I wouldn't worry about it. It's more for clutch dumps where you would want the bias ply, (it wrinkles more and provides a little cussion to your clutch/drive train iirc) but then it's highly recommended you have all 4 tires bias ply. Don't mix them.

Our cars don't do well with clutch dumps. These need finesse to get off the line fast. My best launch is revving 3k and easing off the clutch. A little more aggressive than normal driving. Others say 4500-5k. I don't get to track mine often so they probably have a better idea than me. Just have to experiment with it.

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/tech/

Go to the street and strip bulletin section and click on #6. It will have some good info for bias if you go that route

Afe Air Filter//BMR MM010 Motor Mounts, Safety Loop//Custom OTR Intake//Flex Fuel Kit//Gforce 3.5" Aluminum Driveshaft//GM 95mm TB//Katech Oil Pump, Piston Squirters//Kooks 1-7/8 LT//LT4 Fueling//Mighty Mouse Wild//Monster Clutch LT1-S Triple Disc//MSD 2-Step//Pray Performance Custom Spec Cam, Ported Holley Hi-Ram//Sikky 12" Shifter w OEM Knob Mod//Tick Level 1 Tr6060//Labor by Me//Tune By Pray Performance

Last edited by Dubchitts; 01-11-2018 at 06:02 AM.
Dubchitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:53 AM   #7
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
Its a dilemma for M6 cars. DRs=good grip, but can cause breakage. Bias ply may need skinnies in front for good tracking. I'm considering Hoosier 28-10/17 slicks D06 compound and running them at a little higher pressure and see how car tracks.

Perhaps the other option is beefing up the drive train and running a DR (clutch, DS, axles, suspension). A tune break through that eliminates bog may also be needed.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:20 AM   #8
Solid_Sim

Ok I see now... I never dump the clutch directly when launching, warming up my NT555R's good and releasing the clutch smoothly around 4-5k rpm gives me a good launch usually and its how I managed to make my 1.8 60ft...

I could go in 20inch DR's again but I'd like to try something lighter that grips more, just want to make sure I use the best tires possible for my M6 SS!

I don't think investing in skinnies would be worth it with my current mods also, so I think I'll let go the idea of going bias ply?

Old 01-23-2018, 01:45 PM   #9
Solid_Sim

Ok so this wheel would be the best for a drag set up? https://racestarindustries.com/produ...ay-92-705253g/

With P305/45R17 ET Street R Radial Tire ?

Last edited by Solid_Sim; 01-23-2018 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:23 PM   #10
Solid_Sim

Would this M/T Bias Ply fit on the Race Star 17x9.5 ?

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/d...-street-r-bias

Also what will happen if I run the 1/4 mile on these and stock wheels/tires on front?

I don't want to beef up the drive train and run DR's like the normal ET Street R...

I want to get the best possible 60ft times without breaking anything!

Old 02-16-2018, 05:59 PM   #11
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
They should fit the 17x9.5 Racestars, however, those tires are 28.5" tall. I have heard that if there is too much difference vs front tire diameter, the ecu may not like it. What is the front tire diameter on your car? I have a 1LE, so it might be different.