Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #1
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Ferrari 458: Removing Orange Peel & Polishing the Paint to Perfection

Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:27 AM   #2
Todd@Autopia

Before looking at the full sized after photos it is important to reflect with two full sized before photos.

There was heavy orange peel over the Ferrari's entire surface.

Here is an in progress shot taken of the 458 Italia prior to the end of day three. A lot of time was spent double and triple checking the progress and results. If there had been enough factory paint thickness to completely sand the body completely flat, this job would have been easier. As such the goal was to get as close to perfect as possible, which meant giving it a consistent and uniform finish everywhere. Over sanding and over flattening a small amount too much would have meant re-sanding the entire surface flatter as well to ensure total uniformity.

The remaining pictures are after shots, taken both in direct sunlight and in the shade close to the house. Thank you for reading.

I would also like to thank Kevin Brown for graciously taking the time to proof read this thread and for making many beneficial suggestions!

After Note:The picture of the mil gauge reading was borrowed from a previous write-up of mine but worked for the story line. Since I originally was writing this for my website, I used artistic freedom with that picture. All other pictures used on the write up and every description is 100% correct and was taken during the course of the write-up.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:23 AM   #3
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
To me, from the factory, this is one of the most beautiful cars made. What you have done to it defies words. Great job!
Old 04-09-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Wow, I actually read through the whole thing. Your job seriously is a labor of love. I don't think I have that kind of patience.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:28 AM   #5
ctk1
Camarofanatic

Drives: 1969 SS, 1998 RS, 2010 VR 2SS/RS
Fantastic job...I couldn't imagine having the guts to take sandpaper to a Ferrari, but it was definitely worth the effort. I'm amazed that they let the cars leave the factory with that much orange peel!
2010 Victory Red R6P 2SS w/RS package. Gloss black Rallys, 6 speed manual, SLP Loudmouth I exhaust, LS7 style blackout panel, SS emblems front and rear, Custom 69 inspired headlight covers, Vararam no tune, Hurst Short Throw, and MTI Racing rear spoiler, SLP Front Splitter, ZL1 Side Skirts
ctk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:28 AM   #6
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I would really hate to see what that cost to have done. From the types of cars you show in your threads I would say that it must be very costly. Not that all the work that goes into it doesn't deserve a premium to be paid ,but because of all the work that is put in.

Looks great!.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:54 AM   #7
camaro2ssblack

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS - Black on Black
Wow man very impressive work!!
Old 04-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #8
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
And to think I get excited when I get to work on a Corvette.. lol. Different worlds.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #9
BigCarrot
xbox: this is tedious

Drives: 2011 1SS M6 Camaro IOM
amazing stuff
Seems like just yesterday I spent $450 for a Roto Fab CAI!!! What the hell happened.
BigCarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #10
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Oh to have this done to my Camaro...
Old 04-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #11
Nutro

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green
How much to do my Camaro?

Last edited by Nutro; 04-09-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Nutro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:41 AM   #12
Todd@Autopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMickey View Post
To me, from the factory, this is one of the most beautiful cars made. What you have done to it defies words. Great job!
Thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
Wow, I actually read through the whole thing. Your job seriously is a labor of love. I don't think I have that kind of patience.
Thanks Nessa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctk1 View Post
Fantastic job...I couldn't imagine having the guts to take sandpaper to a Ferrari, but it was definitely worth the effort. I'm amazed that they let the cars leave the factory with that much orange peel!
My background is in high end detailing. I have taken sandpaper to cars far more expensive than a Ferrari. Paint is paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I would really hate to see what that cost to have done. From the types of cars you show in your threads I would say that it must be very costly. Not that all the work that goes into it doesn't deserve a premium to be paid ,but because of all the work that is put in.

Looks great!.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgraves View Post
Wow man very impressive work!!
Thank you very much CGRAVES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
And to think I get excited when I get to work on a Corvette.. lol. Different worlds.
Corvette's are great cars (with equally horrible paint). Paint is paint. It's just the cost of repair is higher when you screw something up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCarrot View Post
amazing stuff
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL1CK View Post
Oh to have this done to my Camaro...
Autopia-CarCare sells everything you need to make it happen. However I don't necessarily recommend sanding factory paint unless you have a lot of experience and are willing to live with the consequences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutro View Post
How much to do my Camaro?
I believe the bill was in the neighborhood of 4-5k. It's been a while.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #13
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Todd,

Wow . . . just wow. I would give anything just to touch one of these cars. I'm awestruck by the level of detail that went into every aspect of this write up . . . seriously impressive!!! You sir, have some amazing talent to perform at this level!
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:09 AM   #14
Todd@Autopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadG View Post
Todd,

Wow . . . just wow. I would give anything just to touch one of these cars. I'm awestruck by the level of detail that went into every aspect of this write up . . . seriously impressive!!! You sir, have some amazing talent to perform at this level!
Thank you, although my passion has shifted to teaching others how to car for their rides with the same passion!